Linux.com

display divided by six???

Link to this post 09 Mar 10

OK I've had this problem or ages now and can't figure it out at all - in the meantime I have to continue using windows :(
I've got a Acer K501N with a 15.6" HD/LED display and nvidia Geforce G102M video card. I can install ubuntu easily but when it boots up my screen display is divided into six identical copies of my desktop - two columns of three. When I move the mouse it moves is all six.
I've tried different drivers, altering settings like resolution etc. within ubuntu and even tried a live CD of a different distro (mandriva I think) and it's exactly the same so I think it might be something to do with the kernel maybe??? I don't know how I can sort this out as I am a newbie but I really wanna get up and running on linux and dump this MS crap.
Help please....

Try another distro. Seriously, its the easiest thing to do. I have one machine that does the same thing but works fine with about every 5th distro out there...

Do the live CDs and installed copies all do the same thing on your system?

Link to this post 10 Mar 10

If I recall correctly that machine has the same problem with a variety of live distros, but I definitely recall that machine has never been able to install any version of Fedora upto about 10, when it finally got drilled through my thick skull to not bother with them, although the problem is slightly different where it just displays grey patches all over the screen.

The wonderful thing about having many distros to choose from is chances are one will find all your hardware and you don't have to waste your time configuring things, or worse yet, paying/begging for help as when stuck with a proprietary OS...

Link to this post 13 Mar 10

I've tried two differentr distros - Mandriva and ubuntu. I've run them both live CD and installed them. They're exactly the same. It looks to me like either a driver problem (and I've downloaded some from Nvidia site) or something to do with the kernel seeing as both distros behave exactly the same.
I don't have any experience with linux so I'm just guessing but I'm more than comfortable when it comes to dealing with hardware issues on PC's running MS Wombles...
I've messed around with a bunch of different settings after I've installed them on my HDD but have reached the point of dangling my laptop out the window and threatening the worst. I really really wanna dump MS but I've struggled with this problem since around October last year. HELP....

Link to this post 13 Mar 10

BarryM wrote:

HELP....

Don't give up! I neglected to mention in my earlier reply that the distro that resolved the problem for me was PCLinuxOS 2009...

Who we are ?

The Linux Foundation is a non-profit consortium dedicated to the growth of Linux.

More About the foundation...

Frequent Questions

Join / Linux Training / Board