Linux.com

I just have to say

Link to this post 15 Jun 10

Thank you for shareing, we support you. I love to see new Linux users everyday. I converted back in 7th grade and I have loved it ever since. Glad you like Linux :)

Link to this post 16 Jun 10

Always good to hear, the possibilities with Linux are really what keeps me around.

Link to this post 17 Jun 10

I was wishing to switch to Mac, but I didn't have a zillion-and-a-half dollars to buy a new 'puter. I Googled "alternatives to Mac and Windows" and found Linux, Unix, and BSD. Omygosh, why doesn't anyone know about these others?

So, next question: Of the three alternatives I found, which is best for a kid with no geek skills? Google had the answer again, Linux. But then it got really confusing: There are over 300 different "Linuxes" out there! Oh noes! How do I know which to try first?

Google is my friend! It directed me to a "distro chooser" which picked Ubuntu for me, and I was scared and excited at the same time, lol. Until I got the CD and learned that I could try Linux without making any changes to my computer at all! How cool is that!?!

Three days of familiarizing myself with it was all it took for me to decide to wipe Windows away and let Ubuntu have the whole hard drive (that was before I found the forums and learned about partitioning and stuff).

Now I have three Linux boxes! I inherited two hand-me-downs that had been crippled by "Windows rot" and hardware obsolescence and played with a few more distros like Slackware (oh, confusing, especially package handling and dependencies - yuck, not for this li'l newbie), PCLinuxOS (sweet! But it balks at my old hardware and Ubuntu doesn't), Debian Testing/Xfce (requires more mad geek skillz but omygosh it's super fast once you get it all set up - which I never did completely), Crunchbang (awesomeness - minimal, stark, powerful), Sidux (another favorite - rolling release, but high risk - not for a "mission critical" machine), Linux Mint... Different desktops! Omygosh, so many choices! Tried 'em all. KDE (pretty! but slow and tedious on my hand-me-down hardware), Gnome (simple, intuitive, versatile), LXDE (fast but verrrry buggy for me - keeping an eye on it tho, want to revisit LXDE when it grows up), Openbox, and Xfce (my current absolute favorite - kinda like "Gnome Lite!).

Now I've introduced some others to Linux and always keep a few LiveCDs around. It's not for gamers (games? C'mon. That's what the PlayStation is for), but it's great for my school work, my dance routines (music editing, choreography), and of course, all the internet stuff. I've never looked back. And I completely forgot about that Mac I was saving up for. Now that money will buy me a car some day!

Loving my Xubuntu,
Robin

Who we are ?

The Linux Foundation is a non-profit consortium dedicated to the growth of Linux.

More About the foundation...

Frequent Questions

Join / Linux Training / Board