Linux.com

Home Linux Community Forums Linux Distributions Ubuntu Installation issue with Ubuntu

Installation issue with Ubuntu

Link to this post 13 Jan 11

I have a computer with Windows 7 Enterprise and was trying to install Ubuntu using the Windows installer. It downloads and installs okay which reboots to the dual boot screen to pick Ubuntu. Once I pick Ubuntu it tells me finishing up installation with a 5 sec timer and then all I get is just lines of 3.161782] [fffffff81084d46] srcu_notifier_call_call_chain which each line has different numbers and sayings. I even tried to install it with a ISO cd install method and same story! I'm stuck any ideas why I'm getting this problem? Thanks.

Link to this post 13 Jan 11

Are you using the GRUB bootloader or windows 7 bootloader to boot your system?

Link to this post 14 Jan 11

You might also like to tell us something about the hardware your using. I had a similar scroll after updating to the 2.6.35 kernel due to a malfunctioning broadcom-wl driver. I'm not saying that's your problem, but, something is causing your kernel to malfunction.
When you say you used the Windows installer, can you tell us how you installed Ubuntu?

which version of Ubuntu did you try?

I'm using the windows 7 bootloader and trying to install the new 10.10 Ubuntu using the windows installer.
I followed this steps that Ubuntu gave me. http://www.ubuntu.com/desktop/get-ubuntu/windows-installer

My Rig.
- ASUS M2N-SLI Deluxe AM2 NVIDIA nForce 570 SLI MCP ATX AMD Motherboard
- SLI EVGA 256-P2-N527-RX GeForce 7800GTX 256MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 SLI Support Video Card,
- AMD Athlon 64 X2 5000+ Brisbane 2.6GHz Socket AM2 65W Dual-Core Black Edition Processor
- CORSAIR XMS2 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400)

Thanks guys for helping me out but I have a rookie question. The GRUB is it somewhat like DOS of Linux? What are kernels and do I install once I have Linux running or before.

Grub is a bootloader and the kernel is the core of the operating system. All input and output goes through and gets processed by the kernel.
I can see you trying to use thw wubi installer, so, your installing this inside your windows operating system. I'm not familiar with wubi, so, I'll wait till someone more experienced can explain what is going on.

Who we are ?

The Linux Foundation is a non-profit consortium dedicated to the growth of Linux.

More About the foundation...

Frequent Questions

Join / Linux Training / Board