Linux.com

Home Linux Community Forums Linux Distributions Ubuntu new ubuntu user seeking help with adobe flash

new ubuntu user seeking help with adobe flash

Link to this post 24 Nov 09

Using the Synaptics Package Manager is probably the easiest way to install flash, and more importantly, a good few hundred other programs/libraries.

It can also differentiate between CPUs, if need be.

I'm having the same problem. Can you help?

Kyoungman wrote:

I'm having the same problem. Can you help?

The simplest explanation is to open the terminal and type "sudo apt-get install flashplugin-installer "

Link to this post 25 Nov 09

Don't worry about it, Brian. I had the same problem installing (the easy way) with Karmic Koala -- that the name for Ubuntu 9.10. Had to complete uninstall the Adobe Flash plug-in from adobe and repos (repositories) and do it by hand. Do a Google search on 'Ubuntu 9.10 Adobe Flash plug-in problems' and there are several solutions that will walk you through the manual method for installing the plugin. You need to understand this process anyway since some Linux "easy installs" go awry and need manual attention. I don't post the URL here since it takes you to another Linux forum, and loyalty is important to me. ;-)

Welcome to the world of Linux/Ubuntu. It really is a whole new experience for the desktop. Take care.
Nanouk

I tried that this is what i got.

E: The package adobe-flashplugin needs to be reinstalled, but I can't find an archive for it.

Kyoungman wrote:

I tried that this is what i got.

E: The package adobe-flashplugin needs to be reinstalled, but I can't find an archive for it.

By your error message it looks like your forgot to add -installer at the end of the package name when you ran the command.
Can you please try again by copying the command listed below and pasting it into your terminal, once that is complete can you paste the command and output lines from your terminal into this conversation for me to see exactly what was entered and returned?

sudo apt-get install flashplugin-installer

Additionally I had heard from one of my friend that he was experiencing the same thing on Ubuntu 9.10 even when flash was installed it would not run in firefox. He mentioned that after he used the update manager and grabbed all available updates that the newest version of firefox seemed to fix his issues, in his case the previously installed version of firefox was not correctly referencing the installed flash files.

Who we are ?

The Linux Foundation is a non-profit consortium dedicated to the growth of Linux.

More About the foundation...

Frequent Questions

Join / Linux Training / Board