Linux.com

Home Linux Community Forums Linux Distributions Ubuntu Scanner utility in Linux to operate my scanner

Scanner utility in Linux to operate my scanner

Link to this post 30 Mar 10

Oh Master geek, I need your help with this one. I have a all in one printer / fax / scan which i was able to download the supportive drivers from the manufacturers web site for Linux OS. The cups driver is working as I have been printing within the Linux environment for some time now. The problem is I can not get the scanner to function. I downloaded the required drivers for scanner operation and here is the puzzling part, after reading some articles relating to my problem. If I enter this command in my terminal, ' sudo scanimage > filename.pnm it will send a signal to my scanner and it operates. I downloaded the trial version of Vuescan, but it gives me a message that it cannot detect a scanner attached, and in it's read me file, it list my model as a scanner it's program supports. I want to know if I can incorporate the command I listed above into a scan utility program, like " XSane Image scan " or some of the other smaller utilities offered as programs. Vuescan says if I am using a newer version of Ubuntu to make sure I have this package installed and I entered that command in the terminal, but it said something to the effect it was obsolete. [ I embedded the text results within this question ]If you're using a newer version of Ubuntu Linux, you can install the needed version of libstdc++ with the command "sudo apt-get install libstdc++5". If you're using 64-bit Linux, you might also need to install "ia32-libs" and "ia32-libs-gtk". I cannot install the manufacturers files for my printer, as they are for Windows and they have the software interface / driver to operate the scanner, and the wine programming stops the install half way through. I tried to turn off the power and unplug method for recognition, but as I said earlier the Printer portion functions great, just need to get it to recognize my scanner.;) :unsure:

# Brother scanners
ATTRS{idVendor}=="04f9", ENV{libsane_matched}="yes"
The make is: Brothers and the Model is MFC-240C

take a look at this thread

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=423461

you can also follow these steps NOTE it is not for your particular model but you can download the drivers from brother and follow the step here:

http://opentrademark.blogspot.com/2010/02/how-to-install-brother-mfc-7340-ubuntu.html

let me know if you need any more assistance

Note: to test the scanner you have to open xsane as root

sudo xsane

edit: ( I havent tested yet so don't quote me on it )

This is the solution to use the scanner as normal user.

Ubuntu 9.10

1. Open "/lib/udev/rules.d/40-libsane.rules" file.
2.Add the following two lines to the end of the device list. (Before the line "# The following rule will disable ..."): The lines to be added---------------------------

# Brother scanners

3. Restart the OS.
this is the same article I read and tried to enter the commands in my terminal window, which I probably screwed up trying to interped the exact input. My question on the above statements are....How do you set Sane as root? [ When I open my xsane scanner program, it is recognizing my web cam as the camera/scanner, and when i disconnect the web cam, the xsane program will not open ] How do I open "/lib/udev/rules etc....?Are they referring to lines in the 2 sentences and what is the device list. is it what will be displayed after entering the open command? I feel so damn stupid here, cause if I take my time, I can figure this thing out. It's not rocket science, I am just so unfamiliar with the exact process.

jhaskins75 wrote:

Note: to test the scanner you have to open xsane as root

sudo xsane

edit: ( I havent tested yet so don't quote me on it )

This is the solution to use the scanner as normal user.

Ubuntu 9.10

1. Open "/lib/udev/rules.d/40-libsane.rules" file.
2.Add the following two lines to the end of the device list. (Before the line "# The following rule will disable ..."): The lines to be added---------------------------

# Brother scanners

3. Restart the OS.
this is the same article I read and tried to enter the commands in my terminal window, which I probably screwed up trying to interped the exact input. My question on the above statements are....How do you set Sane as root? [ When I open my xsane scanner program, it is recognizing my web cam as the camera/scanner, and when i disconnect the web cam, the xsane program will not open ] How do I open "/lib/udev/rules etc....?Are they referring to lines in the 2 sentences and what is the device list. is it what will be displayed after entering the open command? I feel so damn stupid here, cause if I take my time, I can figure this thing out. It's not rocket science, I am just so unfamiliar with the exact process.

john822@john822-desktop:~$ sudo xsane
[sudo] password for john822:
/usr/share/themes/Dust/gtk-2.0/gtkrc:356: Invalid symbolic color 'selected_fg_color'
/usr/share/themes/Dust/gtk-2.0/gtkrc:356: error: invalid identifier `selected_fg_color', expected valid identifier
john822@john822-desktop:~$

I got a serious warning trying to run xsane as root. It said to attempt would be very dangerous and do it at my own risk

Damn it. I took the freaking chance and ran xsane as root and " WHAM " back in the saddle again, my brother. It immediately reconized my MFC 240c all in one printer. I pressed the preview button and the scanner engaged and a image appeared. It was tough going there for awhile and I kept hearing the phase, ' Houston, we got a problem ', but what the hell, You live to die and the best that could happen is, my system would have died. Like that never happened to me, ' Right ' I will hit you back when I am ready to go on another adventure into the unknown.......Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Who we are ?

The Linux Foundation is a non-profit consortium dedicated to the growth of Linux.

More About the foundation...

Frequent Questions

Join / Linux Training / Board