Linux.com

Should I Try Fedora?

Link to this post 02 Jun 09

Hai i started using ubuntu from 8.04 and used it as a secondary Os and started to like it and now with 9.04 i have completely removed windows.I wanted to try some other distro and installed opensuse 11 in secondary HDD and i corrupted my ubuntu filesystem moreover i didnt like it too.Now with a new fedora version comming in 9 days showed i try it or stick with ubuntu .:blink: :blink: :blink:

ravi_buz wrote:

Hai i started using ubuntu from 8.04 and used it as a secondary Os and started to like it and now with 9.04 i have completely removed windows.I wanted to try some other distro and installed opensuse 11 in secondary HDD and i corrupted my ubuntu filesystem moreover i didnt like it too.Now with a new fedora version comming in 9 days showed i try it or stick with ubuntu .:blink: :blink: :blink:

Yes, you should definitely at least try it. Of the RPM-based distros, it is one of the most popular, most supported, and has a huge repository of great 3rd party software. That's strange about SUSE corrupting your Ubuntu filesystem. I've never installed those two together, but I have just recently installed Ubuntu+Fedora (+Windows, bleah) and I can tell you I had no problems with either Linux OS.

When you do install Fedora, don't let the installer auto-create the filesystems for you, or it might try to reclaim the Ubuntu partitions. Do it manually, and you should be okay.

good luck!

Thank for reminding me that Fedora 11 is going to be released very soon. I'd want to try it, too. :)

I had an ISO for Fedora 10, and it actually looks very nice. I am using KDE, though, so I have not yet really tried Fedora with GNOME.

Anyway, I find it strange that openSUSE would do that to your Ubuntu installation. The same as the poster before, me I have not tried installing them in one hard drive, but then again, I have not yet tried installing two linuxes in one system.

openSUSE is also nice, though. It looks clean and green. :)

Well, it really does depend upon what you need from a distro. Ubuntu and Fedora are alike in many ways, excluding their different package formats.

No software or a single page code too are never 100% bug free, so if you are thinking of to migrate from ubuntu to fedora due to the problems and bugs i think it is not a good idea. Fedora is not error free too . i have tried all the versions from 1to 9 and waiting for fc11.

It is said that FC11 would be more stable than other prior distros but it wont be fully error free. and mind you get more knowledge about system when u get errors and bugs

Link to this post 06 Jun 09

Crunchbang is worth a look if you watch tv,videos or play music on your pc it's got most of the codecs and a light OPENBOX window manager. It's based on Ubuntu/Debian

Who we are ?

The Linux Foundation is a non-profit consortium dedicated to the growth of Linux.

More About the foundation...

Frequent Questions

Join / Linux Training / Board