Linux.com

Home Linux Community Forums Linux Distributions Ubuntu Ubuntu, 11.04 (fully updated)

Ubuntu, 11.04 (fully updated)

Link to this post 13 Oct 11

I recommended checking the install disk because I have had similar problems in the past in which I went all of the way down to the source code to find the cause before going to the BDFL of Slackware for help, he was quick to recommend checking the install disk which in both cases were the cause of my issues.

As for your issue with the sound, if may just be a fault with pulse-audio. Pulse audio has been in beta for a long time and was finally released as stable on 9-27-11, so it is likely that the installed version is a beta that did not fit the expectations of the true developers.

However since the latest ubuntu is being released, it should have the updated version of pulse and other necessary application, so it might be a good idea to try it out. Just make sure to check the md5sum of the downloaded ISO and verify the disk when you burn it to make sure there is no corruption.

Link to this post 13 Oct 11

Wilco,
I'll give it a go.

Thanks for the input.

Link to this post 16 Oct 11

Upgraded to 11.10 and instantly regretted it. The new interface (Called 'Unity' allegedly - which could prove to be the biggest oxymoron of the year) is obviously designed with mobile phone users in mind.

To cut a long story short, I scraped the drive and installed Linux Mint. Everything's running perfectly again.

Shame about Ubuntu though. Used it since it first came out; loved it to bits as desktop platform for development but, sadly, it seems to have gone for eye-candy in preference to functionality.

They introduce Unity as the default gui in 11.04, if you prefer a different gui you can simply install it and use that instead. I am currently using Kubuntu (Ubuntu + KDE) myself.

in the terminal you type

sudo apt-get install KDE

or

sudo apt-get install gnome3(Might just be gnome, not sure)

or if you like the lightweight lxde you could do it this way for that:

sudo apt-get install lxde

Also you could try installing Kubuntu with KDE pre loaded if you would like, www.Kubuntu.org

Give it a try you just might end up liking it more then Linux Mint.

Sure, I'll give it a go.

Just liked the old faithful Gnome IF.

Who we are ?

The Linux Foundation is a non-profit consortium dedicated to the growth of Linux.

More About the foundation...

Frequent Questions

Join / Linux Training / Board