Linux.com

Home Linux Community Forums Linux Distributions Ubuntu Ubuntu 11.04 hd0 out of disk boot error

Ubuntu 11.04 hd0 out of disk boot error

Link to this post 18 May 11

When I boot up ubuntu, I see the following error.

hd0 out of disk.
Press any key to continue...

However, after I press the key to acknowledge, it boots normally. There do not seem to be any adverse effects other than extending my boot time by a couple minutes, but I would like to know what is going on.

Link to this post 18 May 11

Check your partitions aren't full?

df -h

Link to this post 19 May 11

No, all of those except my optical drive show up at least 70% empty.

Maybe if you showed us the output of df -h and/or (as root) fdisk -l, we might be able to help you a little more. I haven't seen hd0 used as a label on a disk for a while, then again, I may be mistaken, it still may be around. But I would think that a recent Debian distro would have their hard disks labelled a sda, sdb sdc and so on.
With fdisk -l, we might be able to see if the error is referring to another partition or point us in another direction.

Edit: Was just looking around and it seems it's some kind of grub2 error. You might have to wait for someone who has an Ubuntu install running to help you. I'm not that familiar with Ubuntu's Grub2. I'm just wondering if your booting with a usb stick inserted, or, and external HD attached that's causing your error.

Yep...Had the same problem and came to the same conclusion as Goingeasy9<< it was a grub error>>. Backed up my system and did a fresh install(didn't have the time to mess around)......Problem went away. :dry:

Ain't it easier to reinstall the bootloader?

Regards

Who we are ?

The Linux Foundation is a non-profit consortium dedicated to the growth of Linux.

More About the foundation...

Frequent Questions

Join / Linux Training / Board