Linux.com

Vanillux

Link to this post 13 May 11

Hi,

this post is to inform the interested of a new distribution in the making project Vanillux!

Here are some of the hightlights (more available on vanillux.org):

[LIST]
[*]We are using APT but intend to build our own packages and have our own repository!
[*]We are a rolling release
[*]We use Gnome3
[*]We support KVM as our main Hypervisor
[*]We try to keep the base install as simple as possible
[/LIST]
We are looking for voloteers

Thank you

vanillux.org

Link to this post 14 May 11

Thank you for sharing your project here, your site is simple and easily displays your worklist. Thanks to your organization and planning I will be watching your project to see where I can help.

Vanillux wrote:

Hi,

this post is to inform the interested of a new distribution in the making project Vanillux!

Here are some of the hightlights (more available on [url="http://vanillux.org"]vanillux.org):

[LIST]
[*]We are using APT but intend to build our own packages and have our own repository!
[*]We are a rolling release
[*]We use Gnome3
[*]We support KVM as our main Hypervisor
[*]We try to keep the base install as simple as possible
[/LIST]
We are looking for voloteers

Thank you

[url="http://vanillux.org"]vanillux.org

What does it offer the users different from say...Archlinux?

Good luck with the project guys, this sounds interesting :)

marc wrote:

What does it offer the users different from say...Archlinux?
vanillux.org wrote:
With Cannonical & Mark Shuttleworth dropping Gnome for Unity, there is a strong need in the market for a debian/buntu-based Gnome3 linux distribution. This is where Vanillux comes in play, for now it will be a minimal Ubuntu 11.04 with Gnome3, VLC, Chrome and LibreOffice.
This seems to indicate that the target audience is mainly people who want something that is quick to get up and running, and thereafter requires somewhat low maintenance. I think these design goals makes Vanillux more of a rolling-release alternative to Ubuntu and Mint, than competition to ArchLinux. There aren't too many distributions in this niche with rolling release package management, so this sounds like a good thing :)

I still don't see the difference between this and setting a PPA for Ubuntu with Gnome 3 on it...

marc wrote:

I still don't see the difference between this and setting a PPA for Ubuntu with Gnome 3 on it...
Well, six years ago, what was the difference between Ubuntu and installing Debian with Gnome 2 on it?

I think it's healthy for the GNU/Linux ecosystem to have new distributions pop up now and then. If they target existing niches, a bit of extra competition should help keep the innovation going. If it targets a non-mainstream niche, that's probably another itch scratched for a lot of users. So if someone wants to do the work, either due to some irritation or just for fun, then why not? :)

Who we are ?

The Linux Foundation is a non-profit consortium dedicated to the growth of Linux.

More About the foundation...

Frequent Questions

Join / Linux Training / Board