Python is an ideal language for solving problems, especially in Linux and Unix networks. With this pragmatic book, administrators can review various tasks that often occur in the management of these systems, and learn how Python can provide a more efficient and less painful way to handle them.
Each chapter in Python for Unix and Linux System Administration presents a particular administrative issue, such as concurrency or data backup, and presents Python solutions through hands-on examples. Once you finish this book, you'll be able to develop your own set of command-line utilities with Python to tackle a wide range of problems. Discover how this language can help you:
- Read text files and extract information
- Run tasks concurrently using the threading and forking options
- Get information from one process to another using network facilities
- Create clickable GUIs to handle large and complex utilities
- Monitor large clusters of machines by interacting with SNMP programmatically
- Master the IPython Interactive Python shell to replace or augment Bash, Korn, or Z-Shell
- Integrate Cloud Computing into your infrastructure, and learn to write a Google App Engine Application
- Solve unique data backup challenges with customized scripts
- Interact with MySQL, SQLite, Oracle, Postgres, Django ORM, and SQLAlchemy
With this book, you'll learn how to package and deploy your Python applications and libraries, and write code that runs equally well on multiple Unix platforms. You'll also learn about several Python-related technologies that will make your life much easier.