Works With Distributions
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux
- SUSE Enterprise Linux
Earliest Compatible Linux Kernel
Free Open-Source-On -The-Fly Disk Encryption Software
* Creates a virtual encrypted disk within a file and mounts it as a real disk.
* Encrypts an entire partition or storage device such as USB flash drive or hard drive.
* Encrypts a partition or drive where Windows is installed (pre-boot authentication).
* Encryption is automatic, real-time (on-the-fly) and transparent.
* Parallelization and pipelining allow data to be read and written as fast as if the drive was not encrypted.
* Provides plausible deniability, in case an adversary forces you to reveal the password:
* Hidden volume (steganography) and hidden operating system.
* Encryption algorithms: AES-256, Serpent, and Twofish. Mode of operation: XTS.
Tips to Use
TrueCrypt is a pure open-source encryption software application. It runs on Linux, Windows and Mac OS.
The encryption techniques are current and offer an excellent free way to secure your data via TrueCrypt volumes. You can create volumes on your local disk, USB sticks, attached drives...anything that you can create an filesystem type on you can create a TrueCrypt volume on. You can even create encrypted volumes within encrypted volumes
One caveat, there is no recovery of the volume. Should you lose your password you have lost access. There are no backdoor or password recovery options available.
TrueCyrpt is a must have utility if you believe in securing your data.