Scanner Help Needed on Ubuntu 10.10
Recent convert to Ubuntu 10.10. Epson Perfection 2480 Photo scanner not supported by Sane. Can this be overcome?
Hi Rechil Colin...
Hi Rechil Colin
Sadly, as with the other 'Solutions' tried, it didn't work.
Your instruction (4), 'mkdir etc' produced a folder labelled 'usr.share.sane.snapscan' on a tab headed 'Root'. Clicking on this brings up the firmware 'efsw41.bin'.
'mkdir /usr/share/sane/snapscan', enter, produces the answer "No such file or directory even though a folder has apparently been set up.
Proceeding with the next instruction, 'cp home//desktop etc. etc. produced 3 separate answers :-
(1)Could not find '/home/rubecula/cp'.
(2)Could not find '/home/Desktop/efsw41.bin'.
(3)Could not find '/usr/share/sane/snapscan'.
Attempting a scan produces the answer 'Unable to communicate with scanner'. Herein, it would appear, lies the problem, one of a 'language' barrier.
Hi Rechil Colin, Thanks for your reply. Had already got the firmware ...
Hi Rechil Colin, Thanks for your reply. Had already got the firmware 'esfw41.bin' in the Downloads folder and also in the Sane folder under 'Simplescan' so presume I need to start at item 4.
Having to 'feel' my way having been brought up on Windows so may have to enlist some local help.
1. Navigate System/Administration/Synaptic_Package_Manager and log in as root...
1. Navigate System/Administration/Synaptic_Package_Manager and log in as root, search p7zip-full, right-click and select "Mark for installation", then click the button "Apply" in Synaptic
2. Open terminal & do the following:
apt-get install xsane
apt-get install simple-scan
3. Search & copy file esfw41.bin from the Windows installation CD or download it
4. Open terminal & do following:
cp /home//Desktop/esfw41.bin /usr/share/sane/snapscan
gedit /etc/sane.d/snapscan.conf (u can use any editor as ur choice) and at 4th line it has, firmware called
Note: if u don't have idea, then delete the line which begins with firmware and add this & finally save
5. Again type the following terminal & add at the beginning of each line except of snapscan and save
Just open Applications > Graphics and use either Simple scan or Xsane to scan your photos and documents!
Sometimes scanner is not found; don't worry, just wait for a while even a minute & replug the same and hope u will find it.