Updated eXo Document Management System (DMS) 2.5 introduces new intuitive design that delivers better flexibility in navigation, customizable preferences, and collaboration
PARIS (8 July 2009) – eXo Platform SAS today updated its Document Management System (DMS) with a brand new interface design that enhances user productivity and experience. Now, users can search for, access, and work and collaborate on documents in a similar way in which they’re used to with File Explorer on Windows and Finder on MacOSX—only, with eXo DMS, they can do much more than just navigate shared drives.
“Software packages like Documentum and Sharepoint may be more widely used at larger organizations, but shared drives remain the most common way for people to connect, share and collaborate on documents,” said Benjamin Mestrallet, CEO of eXo Platform. “With eXo DMS 2.5, we aimed to make the user experience as intuitive and familiar so that the learning curve can be shortened. By making DMS open source, we’re also opening up access to a wide audience to try it out for themselves and see why eXo customers have come to expect usability, modern design, and flexibility in our software.”
A core component of eXo Enterprise Content Management (ECM) suite, eXo DMS is a powerful tool that captures, manages, stores, preserves, delivers, and secures all types of documents. It has a built-in workflow system that not only manages how documents are accessed, modified, and shared but also manages the people and processes involved with these documents. With eXo DMS, customers can transform unstructured content such as Web pages, email text, videos, and audio files, into structured content that can be more easily managed and used to make informative business decisions.
eXo DMS is built on the company’s implementation of the Java Content Repository (JCR) specification (JSR-170), which provides a Java interface for interacting with content and data, regardless of how it’s stored. The eXo JCR implementation, now being developed in partnership with the JBoss community, enables a wide range of actions such as locking, versioning, and access control that makes eXo DMS suitable for enterprise deployments.
New features in eXo DMS 2.5 improve user productivity and experience by making it easier to find files and giving users the option to customize their environment to suit their needs. These features include:
- A user interface extension framework that can be used to create plug-ins and extensions to the File Explorer. Eventually, eXo expects a community of plug-ins to evolve out of this that can be shared among customers.
- Contextual action buttons in the File Explorer that can be customized depending on the type of document and launch the appropriate action(s) pre-defined for the document. Moreover, rather than see all action buttons, the user only sees those actions on which they’re authorized to act.
- New taxonomy management that allows users to classify and retrieve documents regardless the way they are stored in the application. Organizations or departments can organize documents in whatever way that makes sense for them, but still have them stored in an optimal manner by the company to maximize performance and resources.
- Symbolic link implementation simplifies access to important folders and/or documents when the folder structure is complex. This is similar to a “short cut,” except that users are not linked to the real folder, but rather can work in the short cut file as if it is the real one.
- Google Gadgets support helps improve collaboration with other contributors by showing which documents were last edited or published and by whom. This eliminates guessing and version control problems.
eXo DMS 2.5 is immediately available under the Affero General Public License (AGPL) for download today at http://www.exoplatform.com/portal/public/website/product/exomodules/ecm/dms/__download. It is supported on eXo Portal 2.5.x. For additional information, including screenshots, visit http://www.exoplatform.com/portal/public/website/product/exomodules/ecm/dms/dmsoverview.
About eXo Platform SAS
eXo Platform is a provider of integrated, standards-based open source portal, content management, and collaboration software that hundreds of customers use to share, access, and publish information across their organization. These customers include Generali, Belgium’s Ministry of Finance, and the U.S. Department of Defense. Founded in 2003, eXo Platform SAS is headquartered in Paris with offices in Ukraine, Vietnam, and Tunisia. Visit http://exoplatform.com or follow all the latest news on Twitter@exoplatform.
Page One PR for eXo Platform