Linux.com

Home Linux Community Forums Hardware Drivers Installing Driver for ASUS USB-N 13 Ahhhh!

Installing Driver for ASUS USB-N 13 Ahhhh!

Link to this post 07 Jul 11

:blink: Ok.. A whole day of my life has been flushed down the drain in a frenzy of Google Searches and phone calls, and I hate to be the newby to ask a, more then likely, stupid question of all of you.

1. I have a disk that came with my ASUS USB-N 13 Wireless Adaptor.
2. How do I use it, to install "what ever it is" to my Fedora 15 to make it work. And I need some real step by step. Imagine as if you are trying to tell you grandmother how to do it.

I do appologize, I do internet trouble calls for a cable company and can work the rear end out of Winblows, but this Linux stuff is rough. I switched to Linux for security purposes, and I am devoted to learning it.... But I just have to get this USB Wireless adaptor to work so I don' t have to run a 75 foot ethernet cord, in a two story house!

First of all, we need to see what chip is in that usb adapter. In a terminal type,

lsusb

and, either give us the whole output, or, the line that has wireless or wifi in it. That should contain the info about the chip.

Bus 001 Device 002: ID 0b05:1784 ASUSTek Computer, Inc. 802.11n Network Adapter

There's a long post here describing some problems folks from fedora had while trying to get the driver to work, although it seems that in the end, they did get it working. This was on a older version of fedora, Fedora 14, but it's a good reference.
http://forums.fedoraforum.org/archive/index.php/t-259280.html

You would install the rt3070 driver by entering, in a terminal, as root:

yum install akmod-rt3070

Then reboot. Rebooting builds the driver module.

It's required that the rpmfusion repos be enabled in order to get akmod-rt3070 You can install them by right clicking on the fedora 15 versions, then, let packagekit do the installation for you. If you don't have them enabled, you can acquire them here:
http://rpmfusion.org/Configuration

Read over the thread from the first link I posted first, in case you have problems during the installation. Since this is Fedora 15, the problems that they had in Fedora 14 should be fixed. At least i hope so.

I hope it works the first time for you, if not, let us know. It's late here, but, hopefully someone will be around to answer.

This may have been tried already, but have you checked the manufacturers website for the correct driver needed for your system? Most do include linux drivers on their site as well as windows. Then you can simply download it, install it. Its worth checking just because they keep the most updated version on their site.

P.S. I'd do this after doing what GoinEasy recommended. But only if your issue is not resolved (if it gets resolved, quit fixing it). Unless your ready to break it, and fix it again, which usually turns out to be worth it.

Link to this post 08 Jul 11

Ok.. Round two with the Linux Machine.

The yum install akmod-rt3070 driver installed correctly, but my Machine says

lo no wireless extenstions

p2p1 no wireless extenstions

wlan0 IEEE 802.11bgn ESSID:off/any
Mode: Managed Acess Point: Not-Associated Tx-Power=) dBm
Retry Long Limit:7 RTS thr: off Fragment thr: off
Encryption Key: off
Power Management:on

Now....what doses all that mean? I see that it see the Wireless card, but what is it that I must do now to get this thing to work?

Feel free to stone me when you are done.

Who we are ?

The Linux Foundation is a non-profit consortium dedicated to the growth of Linux.

More About the foundation...

Frequent Questions

Join / Linux Training / Board