Linux.com

Linux advices for dummies

Link to this post 24 Dec 12

And by the way, there is nothing to be scared about. If Linux doesn't work out for you, all will be well. Your computer will not explode, the FBI will not have a warrant for your arrest, family members won't get sick... Think of trying a new OS as trying on different clothes. If it doesn't fit, find one that does. :)

Link to this post 15 Jan 13

Hi Izzy!
It has been a while since the last time I posted. I do now to let you know that I was able to set up Linux on my PC. Everything works fine. I find it very easy to use. As a everyday use OS it is great. I look forward to getting deeper into it and hope to be able to build (someday) my own OS. Thank you for your support so far. I'll reach you again as soon as I get stalled.

Link to this post 19 Jan 13

I have been using Ubuntu 12.04 since last Summer. I love it. I have the kde and compiz with cube effects (6 sides) and wobbly and transparent windows. I need to find a downloader that works well for movies from various sites. Any help please? I was using Jdownloader on Win 7, but windows crashed. I tried a few like multiget and such with no luck. Maybe I just don't know how to correctly use them? The Jdownloader site said they had 1 for linux, but I can't find it. Any tips also would be helpful since I am rookie to these downloaders.

Link to this post 21 Jan 13

Reuben,

I apologize for taking so long to respond to you. I've had a pretty rough week.

Now, when you say that you need a down loader for movies from web sites, do you mean downloading the movies to your computer? If so, this is easy. You only need to get a program for Firefox to do that: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/video-downloadhelper/
Just click the button and your Firefox browser should be all set to download movies.

Or, if you mean that you need to download a program to play movies online, then just install Adobe Flash through the Ubuntu Software Center.

Let me know if I can do anything else.

Izzy

Who we are ?

The Linux Foundation is a non-profit consortium dedicated to the growth of Linux.

More About the foundation...

Frequent Questions

Join / Linux Training / Board