Linux.com

Home Linux Community Forums Software Installation Install ffmpeg... Only to Uninstall gnome?

Install ffmpeg... Only to Uninstall gnome?

Link to this post 14 Apr 11

I am attempting to install ffmpeg via Terminal but I keep coming across messages stating the removal of gnome from my system. I need ffmpeg in order to convert videos via the command line but I am worried about accidentally destroying my laptop. My system is running the x86_64 version of Debian GNU/Linux Squeeze.

If I install ffmpeg and remove gnome, what will happen?

Thank you to anyone who can answer this question!

I have installed ffmpeg on many systems and cannot determine what dependency may be causing a conflict that may require removal of gnome components. Can you please share the messages stating that gnome must be removed and anything that may point to the cause.

What do you use to install it?

What repositories do you have enabled?

What's the message that tells you to uninstall gnome?

Regards

I have been installing it on Slackware, which means that I have been having to deal with all dependencies manually. The dependency list (http://slackbuilds.org/repository/13.1/multimedia/ffmpeg/) if just a bunch of audio and video libraries. I have not experienced any issues with those libraries in relation to the KDE or GTK core files.

I just don't see any reason for it to force removal of a window manager, which is why I would like to see the error message. The dependency list for the app may have invalid entries or you may be misreading the message.

If I have to, I will install debian in a vm to test it for you but I want to see what is being stated first.

Link to this post 15 Apr 11

Then you'll have to use KDE, bleah!

Gnome is a Graphical desktop environment. Chances are, you want it, or some subset of it. I don't know much about Debian, but in general, it sounds like you are having dependency issues. How exactly are you trying to install the ffmpeg software? Sometimes when I get into dependency hell, I have to resort to installing the package manually (from a source tarball, etc.).

Link to this post 15 Apr 11

atreyu wrote:

Sometimes when I get into dependency hell, I have to resort to installing the package manually (from a source tarball, etc.).

That means you did something wrong. The further you get into installing programs from source and mixing it with the use of the package manager the more problems you'll get.

Use the right tool for the right job:

Install software <-> package manager!!!

The thing is that if there's a dependency problem you should *solve* it rather than workaround it.

Regards

Who we are ?

The Linux Foundation is a non-profit consortium dedicated to the growth of Linux.

More About the foundation...

Frequent Questions

Join / Linux Training / Board