Linux.com

WLAN0

Link to this post 19 Feb 12

Ok, i just installed backtrack 5r1 gnome on vmware. I bought a netgear wg111v3 usb adapter to use with backtrack. Throughout the 16 hours ive wasted on this topic ive noticed you have to be able to see wlan0 in "ifconfig" and "iwconfig"
to be able to see wireless networks around you... how do i do this... PLEASE PROVIDE SIMPLE!!! STEP BY STEP INSTRUCTIONS... I am very new to the linux envoironment...AS MUCH DETAIL AS POSSIBLE... PLEASE AND THANK YOU

Link to this post 19 Feb 12

tedixh14,

I can't give you SIMPLE!!! STEP BY STEP INSTRUCTIONS for everything, but I can tell you that your wireless usb adapter does not have Linux native drivers ( to my knowledge ) and needs ndiswrapper to work correctly.

This really only matters however if your host is Linux, not the VM.

So what OS is the host machine that you're running your Backtrack VM on? Windows, Linux (distro), OS X?

Thanks,

MM

Link to this post 20 Feb 12

Mason,
First of all, to answer your question, my physical computer is running windows... and you said something about ndiswrapper.
I dont know what that is. Can you tell me what i have to do?....

Since you are running backtrack in a vmware virtual machine you do not need to worry about the physical device drivers for backtrack, you only need to set the networking for the guest VM to use a bridged connection from your physical wireless card, the bridged connection will appear as a ethernet connection in the VM.

http://www.vmware.com/support/ws4/doc/network_bridged_ws.html

im sorry if the way im saying things is leading you to the wrong idea... i do have internet... the thing that i want is when going to wicd network manager to be able to see wireless networks...

and i want to turn moniter mode on...

Who we are ?

The Linux Foundation is a non-profit consortium dedicated to the growth of Linux.

More About the foundation...

Frequent Questions

Join / Linux Training / Board