Linux.com

YAST -- (1st Thread)

Link to this post 03 Jun 09

I was wondering what peoples thoughts were on Novell's Yast?

Link to this post 03 Jun 09

I think it's one of the most intuitive and easiest tools to use I've had the pleasure of using on any linux distro.

Link to this post 27 Jun 09

It would be a great tool for newbies and admins alike. I have no problems editing config files but sometimes I find it easier to just use YaST. Also its better to have a single program for system config than having different programs for different tasks.

Link to this post 10 Aug 09

it's IMHO the only central system administration package for linux that actually does its job.
Mind, YaST used to be utter crap, but since YaST2, that is of the past. Nowadays I'm very happy with YaST2 and would suggest that other distros adapt YaST2 too.

Link to this post 21 Aug 09

YaST was actually coded long before Novell purchased SUSE. I'll say this, as far as system administrating goes, I still much prefer the command line...but when it comes to needing to make quick changes it truly is the best tool.

Although I think everyone should have CLI skills, it is true that more Linux distributions need a centralized administration point like YaST. It would help with the adoption as you don't require as much specific experience with Linux to utilize it.

Who we are ?

The Linux Foundation is a non-profit consortium dedicated to the growth of Linux.

More About the foundation...

Frequent Questions

Join / Linux Training / Board