• Last Logged In: 2 days ago

Latest Posts

Posted by
Topic
Post Preview
Posted
  • mfillpot
    RE: Driver for HP Deskjet 1010
    hplip is generally installed inmost linux distros as a default entity, it works with cups to provide extra support for HP based devices. I have checked their compatibility list (http://hplipopensource.com/hplip-web/supported_devices/deskjet.html) and your printer appears to be supported with the drivers included in the current release of hplip. You should just have to install hplip from the package manager of your chosen distro.
    Link to this post 14 Apr

hplip is generally installed inmost linux distros as a default entity, it works with cups to provide extra support for HP based devices. I have checked their compatibility list (http://hplipopensource.com/hplip-web/supported_devices/deskjet.html) and your printer appears to be supported with the drivers included in the current release of hplip. You should just have to install hplip from the package manager of your chosen distro.

• mfillpot
    RE: Howe can i download stuff from internet?
    You can download the .deb files to a location on your hard drive, then either double click to prompt the package manager for installation of use dpkg, such as "sudo dpkg -i /path/to/file.deb" We always recommend the use of the package manager and official repos because it satisfies dependencies and installs trusted packages. If the location of the files is a repo server then you can just add it to your list to simplify updates. If it is just a site with deb files then I recommend caution because the installations are run with root rights and malicious code can cause real damage.
    Link to this post 14 Apr

You can download the .deb files to a location on your hard drive, then either double click to prompt the package manager for installation of use dpkg, such as "sudo dpkg -i /path/to/file.deb"

We always recommend the use of the package manager and official repos because it satisfies dependencies and installs trusted packages. If the location of the files is a repo server then you can just add it to your list to simplify updates. If it is just a site with deb files then I recommend caution because the installations are run with root rights and malicious code can cause real damage.

• mfillpot
    RE: Images are not showing in my website
    Ok, then the permissions are the caus. The files are created under nobody, but the http daemon does not have access to those files. Please read the post at http://stackoverflow.com/questions/580584/setting-default-permissions-for-newly-created-files-and-sub-directories-under-a for a hint. You can also check the manual for the http server to see if you can change the default cache image permissions.
    Link to this post 21 Jan

Ok, then the permissions are the caus. The files are created under nobody, but the http daemon does not have access to those files. Please read the post at http://stackoverflow.com/questions/580584/setting-default-permissions-for-newly-created-files-and-sub-directories-under-a for a hint. You can also check the manual for the http server to see if you can change the default cache image permissions.

• mfillpot
    RE: Images are not showing in my website
    It sounds like the reference location to the images within the webpages is incorrect. Have you tried checking the image location on the webpages and comparing it against the filesystem location where the images are located? Additionally the permission on the images or image directory may be incorrect, make sure that the file and directory permissions match the permissions that are used on the pages that are being displayed.
    Link to this post 14 Jan

It sounds like the reference location to the images within the webpages is incorrect. Have you tried checking the image location on the webpages and comparing it against the filesystem location where the images are located?

Additionally the permission on the images or image directory may be incorrect, make sure that the file and directory permissions match the permissions that are used on the pages that are being displayed.

• mfillpot
    RE: What do you think of this laptop for a mobile workstation for Debian??
    Debian and Ubuntu are close enough in functionality that most of the ubuntu refrerences should apply. With that being said, I found a post at http://en.community.dell.com/techcenter/b/techcenter/archive/2013/11/26/follow-up-ubuntu-on-the-precision-m3800.aspx which is stating that the only two problems were touchscreen drivers and the sd-card drivers. You should be able to implement any fixes that that poster finds.
    Link to this post 12 Jan

Debian and Ubuntu are close enough in functionality that most of the ubuntu refrerences should apply. With that being said, I found a post at http://en.community.dell.com/techcenter/b/techcenter/archive/2013/11/26/follow-up-ubuntu-on-the-precision-m3800.aspx which is stating that the only two problems were touchscreen drivers and the sd-card drivers. You should be able to implement any fixes that that poster finds.

• mfillpot
    RE: miniPC wout ARM
    Have you looked at the mini-ATX boards that have embedded x86 CPUs?
    Link to this post 07 Jan

Have you looked at the mini-ATX boards that have embedded x86 CPUs?

• mfillpot
    RE: Looking for some help!
    As you may already know, you should not expect windows based software to work on non-windows operating systems. With that being said, you can check the wine beginner how-to at http://www.winehq.org/docs/wineusr-guide/index or explore the wiki for application use information. As for the methods used within steam, steam has a large Linux user community and you can ask within those communities how they have accomplished the tasks as they are the most versed in the required methods.
    Link to this post 05 Jan

As you may already know, you should not expect windows based software to work on non-windows operating systems. With that being said, you can check the wine beginner how-to at http://www.winehq.org/docs/wineusr-guide/index or explore the wiki for application use information. As for the methods used within steam, steam has a large Linux user community and you can ask within those communities how they have accomplished the tasks as they are the most versed in the required methods.

• mfillpot
    RE: how disable viewing of hidden files.?
    The hidden files only files in which the filename starts with a period. If you are referring to the GUI file manager known as Thunar, then you should just be able to go to 'View'->'Show hidden files'-> check/uncheck If you are referring to the view within another application then the application name will be necessary.
    Link to this post 05 Jan

The hidden files only files in which the filename starts with a period. If you are referring to the GUI file manager known as Thunar, then you should just be able to go to 'View'->'Show hidden files'-> check/uncheck

If you are referring to the view within another application then the application name will be necessary.

• mfillpot
    RE: I am Confused.. Experts please help
    Windows based software works on the windows operating system, the libraries, frameworks, and compiled applications are different between windows, mac and linux, never expect cross compatibility. Nearly all of the games that you listed only run on windows, so that is not a option if those are deal breakers. Internet Exploder only works in windows as it is a core component of windows. If these software products are on your must-have list, then I am afraid that you will be stuck purchasing valid licenses to windows and all required software. The best scenario for switching to linux based hosts is if you are willing to use Libreoffice instead of Ms Office, if you are willing to setup linux native games and servers compared to windows-only games, and if you want the users to have safe clean access to the internet. A general idea to to replace some of the browser only machines with a linux based OS as a test scenario and changing OSs as the demand increases or decreases. I highly recommend downloading and installing Ubuntu Linux or Linux Mint on a spare computer so that you understand the differences including the pros and cons prior to making a potentially costly solution.
    Link to this post 05 Jan

Windows based software works on the windows operating system, the libraries, frameworks, and compiled applications are different between windows, mac and linux, never expect cross compatibility.

Nearly all of the games that you listed only run on windows, so that is not a option if those are deal breakers.
    Internet Exploder only works in windows as it is a core component of windows.

If these software products are on your must-have list, then I am afraid that you will be stuck purchasing valid licenses to windows and all required software.

The best scenario for switching to linux based hosts is if you are willing to use Libreoffice instead of Ms Office, if you are willing to setup linux native games and servers compared to windows-only games, and if you want the users to have safe clean access to the internet. A general idea to to replace some of the browser only machines with a linux based OS as a test scenario and changing OSs as the demand increases or decreases.

I highly recommend downloading and installing Ubuntu Linux or Linux Mint on a spare computer so that you understand the differences including the pros and cons prior to making a potentially costly solution.

• mfillpot
    RE: RE: D-Link DGE-528T
    According to the d-link website the device is only PCI2.3 compliant, if it is only compliant to that specification then it would not include the backward specs to work on your boards.
    Link to this post 22 Dec 13

According to the d-link website the device is only PCI2.3 compliant, if it is only compliant to that specification then it would not include the backward specs to work on your boards.

• mfillpot
    RE: Accessing my network from a remote location - hardware help
    Most ISPs restrict the address assignments to specific hardware, so turning off dhcp may backfire and leave all devices without a connection. The best practice is to setup the port forwarding on both devices to properly forward the traffic to the desired host.

Most ISPs restrict the address assignments to specific hardware, so turning off dhcp may backfire and leave all devices without a connection. The best practice is to setup the port forwarding on both devices to properly forward the traffic to the desired host.

• mfillpot
    RE: How can I install linux kernel itself on a system without GUI?
    The kernel is just the driver set, you need software to interact with the system. What you are referring to is a Command Line installation, which would include the kernel and some minimal software. Many distros such as debian, gentoo, slackware, arch, etc... can easily be installed without a GUI.

The kernel is just the driver set, you need software to interact with the system. What you are referring to is a Command Line installation, which would include the kernel and some minimal software. Many distros such as debian, gentoo, slackware, arch, etc... can easily be installed without a GUI.

• mfillpot
    RE: Linux alternative to Windows 8 Storage Spaces
    You are referring to LVM and raid functionality. They have been around for a long time. RAID arrays ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RAID ) allow you to build the redundant storage which can clone or split storage devices into mutliple physical disks to enable failover. RAID arrays can be implemented as software or hardware based solutions, I have even heard talk that the btrfs filesystem is implementing both functions directly into their kernel instructions, but have not verified it myself. LVM is used to setup expandable partitions which can expanded by adding additional lvm partitions to the set when you need more space.
    Link to this post 18 Nov 13

You are referring to LVM and raid functionality. They have been around for a long time.

RAID arrays ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RAID ) allow you to build the redundant storage which can clone or split storage devices into mutliple physical disks to enable failover. RAID arrays can be implemented as software or hardware based solutions, I have even heard talk that the btrfs filesystem is implementing both functions directly into their kernel instructions, but have not verified it myself.

LVM is used to setup expandable partitions which can expanded by adding additional lvm partitions to the set when you need more space.

• mfillpot
    RE: check_sanity_eventhandler Error
    I do not know if we have any yocto developers in this forum, but you can find the official documentation at https://www.yoctoproject.org/tools-resources/community , you should also join their mailing lists so that you can ask the active community. Also, thank you for the timing of your post. It has acted as a reminder for me to try out yocto by building custom images for my raspberry pi and old routers.
    Link to this post 14 Nov 13

I do not know if we have any yocto developers in this forum, but you can find the official documentation at https://www.yoctoproject.org/tools-resources/community , you should also join their mailing lists so that you can ask the active community.

Also, thank you for the timing of your post. It has acted as a reminder for me to try out yocto by building custom images for my raspberry pi and old routers.

• mfillpot
    RE: Minimum Hardware Needed to start learning Linux
    You can easily install a linux based distribution into a virtual machine using virtulbox or dual boot a physical installation alongside of windows. However if you wish to have another machine the best general requirements at this time are 1GB+ of RAM, and at least a 1 Gig processor. Along those lines there are several embedded or ARM based boards that can run Arm based linux such as the $35 raspberry pi. Even though you would not get server type performance from an embedded it is a cheap and highly functional way to implement a Linux based machine. Some people have setup raspberry pis as network service servers, web servers, home media computers, etc... I personally have an amd 6100 based desktop, an i7 based laptop, a 1.6G centrino based laptop, a 1G intel based chromebook and a raspberry pi all running Linux based operating systems for specific uses and users.
    Link to this post 13 Nov 13

You can easily install a linux based distribution into a virtual machine using virtulbox or dual boot a physical installation alongside of windows.

However if you wish to have another machine the best general requirements at this time are 1GB+ of RAM, and at least a 1 Gig processor.

Along those lines there are several embedded or ARM based boards that can run Arm based linux such as the $35 raspberry pi. Even though you would not get server type performance from an embedded it is a cheap and highly functional way to implement a Linux based machine. Some people have setup raspberry pis as network service servers, web servers, home media computers, etc...

I personally have an amd 6100 based desktop, an i7 based laptop, a 1.6G centrino based laptop, a 1G intel based chromebook and a raspberry pi all running Linux based operating systems for specific uses and users.

• mfillpot
    RE: Getting involved in linux
    If you want to get involved with the kernel and get some experience with their code there are plenty of books that can help get you started you can also volunteer to help with the Kernel Janitors project https://code.google.com/p/kernel-janitors/ However, if you are referring to different elements such as a distribution or a specific software then you would be best off joining their mailing-lists and asking where they may need help outside of coding, some projects have a need for graphic designers, ui designers and various other roles. The best think you can do to help without coding is recommending or refining features to make an application easier or more useful to you and others.

If you want to get involved with the kernel and get some experience with their code there are plenty of books that can help get you started you can also volunteer to help with the Kernel Janitors project https://code.google.com/p/kernel-janitors/

However, if you are referring to different elements such as a distribution or a specific software then you would be best off joining their mailing-lists and asking where they may need help outside of coding, some projects have a need for graphic designers, ui designers and various other roles. The best think you can do to help without coding is recommending or refining features to make an application easier or more useful to you and others.

• mfillpot
    RE: Economically supporting fre software
    If the Linux Foundation has taken interest in the idea they would be working with the various groups to get input before going any further. I know that I had passed on the idea, but I do not know how interested they are in the idea or if they are working on implementing it. If the silence or lack of information is insufficient you can always pass the idea on to other groups or attempt to implement a solution yourself.

If the Linux Foundation has taken interest in the idea they would be working with the various groups to get input before going any further. I know that I had passed on the idea, but I do not know how interested they are in the idea or if they are working on implementing it.

If the silence or lack of information is insufficient you can always pass the idea on to other groups or attempt to implement a solution yourself.

• mfillpot
    RE: Linux Store
    The authors of each distribution are the copyright owners of their logos. To avoid bad relations or potential legal issues it is best to ask each that you wish to use.

The authors of each distribution are the copyright owners of their logos. To avoid bad relations or potential legal issues it is best to ask each that you wish to use.

• mfillpot
    RE: Lexmark prospect pro205 driver problem
    The driver you are listing is for 32-bit systems, is you mint installation 32-bit or 64-bit?
    Link to this post 10 Nov 13

The driver you are listing is for 32-bit systems, is you mint installation 32-bit or 64-bit?

• mfillpot
    RE: Mount LVM partition
    I do not use lvm any more or know what distro you use. However it sounds like your initrd image does not include the modules or pounter to the new lvm partition, I recommend checking out the slackware lvm guide at ftp://ftp.slackware.com/pub/slackware/slackware-current/README_LVM.TXT as a base guide to see if any steps were missed during your setup.
    Link to this post 06 Nov 13

I do not use lvm any more or know what distro you use. However it sounds like your initrd image does not include the modules or pounter to the new lvm partition, I recommend checking out the slackware lvm guide at ftp://ftp.slackware.com/pub/slackware/slackware-current/README_LVM.TXT as a base guide to see if any steps were missed during your setup.

Who we are ?

The Linux Foundation is a non-profit consortium dedicated to the growth of Linux.

More About the foundation...

Frequent Questions

Join / Linux Training / Board