• Linux.com Member
  • Last Logged In: 28 Jul 10

Latest Posts

Posted by
Topic
Post Preview
Posted
  • phonky
    RE: the forbidden question: which distro...
    oh, this is very welcomed info, guys.
    Link to this post 29 Jul 10

oh, this is very welcomed info, guys.

• phonky
    the forbidden question: which distro...
    Yes, I dare to pose the forbidden question. Thing is, I used to use SuSE 4.x back in 1996, and since have been trying and using a whole lot of different distros, from Damn Small Linux to Arch to Ubuntu, at work or for private use. I am getting a new Dell laptop this week. I will use it for: - software development on the web (php, RoR, evtl. python and java) - desktop apps (Internet surfing, emails, music listening, youtube videos, documents, etc.) - music production (possibility arose that I could teach courses on free media production) This are of course very conflictive usages, which actually make it impossible to choose the "right" distro. I am tending towards ubuntu because simply put most hardware just runs. But I'm inclined towards Ubuntu Studio which would give me a multimedia studio on which I can stack my development stuff. Or would you see any reason for not installing ubuntu studio, when I will, at least in the beginning, mostly run apache and develop in PHP and/or Ruby On Rails? Any other suggestion? Thanks
    Link to this post 28 Jul 10

Yes, I dare to pose the forbidden question.

Thing is, I used to use SuSE 4.x back in 1996, and since have been trying and using a whole lot of different distros, from Damn Small Linux to Arch to Ubuntu, at work or for private use.

I am getting a new Dell laptop this week. I will use it for:
    - software development on the web (php, RoR, evtl. python and java)
    - desktop apps (Internet surfing, emails, music listening, youtube videos, documents, etc.)
    - music production (possibility arose that I could teach courses on free media production)

This are of course very conflictive usages, which actually make it impossible to choose the "right" distro.
    I am tending towards ubuntu because simply put most hardware just runs. But I'm inclined towards Ubuntu Studio which would give me a multimedia studio on which I can stack my development stuff.

Or would you see any reason for not installing ubuntu studio, when I will, at least in the beginning, mostly run apache and develop in PHP and/or Ruby On Rails?

Any other suggestion?

Thanks

Who we are ?

The Linux Foundation is a non-profit consortium dedicated to the growth of Linux.

More About the foundation...

Frequent Questions

Join / Linux Training / Board