• Last Logged In: 17 Jan

Latest Posts

Posted by
Topic
Post Preview
Posted
  • dsiddens
    Engenius 3500 configuration
    I'm stumped with trying to make the configuration work for an Engenius 3500 and a computer running Ubuntu 9.10. Can someone walk me through this set-up? Thank you, Doug
    Link to this post 20 Jun 11

I'm stumped with trying to make the configuration work for an Engenius 3500 and a computer running Ubuntu 9.10.

Can someone walk me through this set-up?

Thank you, Doug

• dsiddens
    RE: daemon is inhibited
    Hi, There are two disks in question. They are in 2.5" external enclosures now. The other hard disks in my possession all work as they should.
    Link to this post 08 Apr 11

Hi,
    There are two disks in question. They are in 2.5" external enclosures now. The other hard disks in my possession all work as they should.

• dsiddens
    These disks lived in an HP dv9000 laptop. Said machine with those disks had never taken a fall to the floor. The disks failed at different times, say, over a year apart. I've tried accessing them via this current laptop, an IBM T43 via usb connection. The boat's "ship's computer" is an HP s7727c with the 3.5" drive removed and a 500G 2.5" installed. I have had occasion to take out this 500G and put it into an external case then read/write with a usb connection via the T43. Doug
    Link to this post 08 Apr 11

These disks lived in an HP dv9000 laptop. Said machine with those disks had never taken a fall to the floor. The disks failed at different times, say, over a year apart. I've tried accessing them via this current laptop, an IBM T43 via usb connection. The boat's "ship's computer" is an HP s7727c with the 3.5" drive removed and a 500G 2.5" installed. I have had occasion to take out this 500G and put it into an external case then read/write with a usb connection via the T43.
    Doug

• dsiddens
    I went over to Ubuntuforums.org and read the above (and more). In my case the drives are in usb enclosures. I've experienced the same result on two computers loaded with different versions of Ubuntu. As for one of the computers, the laptop, it is usb connected to two other, large, drives and works fine. More ideas? Thank you, Doug
    Link to this post 03 Apr 11

I went over to Ubuntuforums.org and read the above (and more). In my case the drives are in usb enclosures. I've experienced the same result on two computers loaded with different versions of Ubuntu. As for one of the computers, the laptop, it is usb connected to two other, large, drives and works fine. More ideas? Thank you, Doug

• dsiddens
    RE: Configuration for ethernet wired Engenius 3500
    Rubberman, Nope. I can get the net through my laptop's internal antenna. Thanks, Doug
    Link to this post 02 Apr 11

Rubberman,

Nope. I can get the net through my laptop's internal antenna.
    Thanks, Doug

• dsiddens
    Configuration for ethernet wired Engenius 3500
    The physical setup is this: our marina provides wireless. On the boat we have a Rootena connected to an Engenius 3500 acting as an access point. The Engenius is cabled to the ethernet port. Using "Network Connections" (Ubuntu 10.04) I set the "IPV4" to Manual, Address to 192.168.1.21, Netmask to 255.255.255.0. Gateway to 192.168.1.1. "Apply" & authorize. I also turn off "Wireless" at the panel icon for Network Connections. In the browser I enter 192.168.1.1 and get the software of the Engenius 3500. Clear in with name and password. Set the Engenius to be a access point, find the signals, select the desired signal, enter the WEP password and save. Returning to Network Connections I return the computer to Automatic DHCP. The connection symbol whirls for quite a long time then the screen announces "wired network disconnected - you are now offline" What's really maddening is that this thing worked for me at one point. It was blind luck that I found the correct combination of settings and procedures. After working on this off and on for about three weeks I've decided to ask for help. So if you can, I'll appreciated it. Thank you, Doug

The physical setup is this: our marina provides wireless. On the boat we have a Rootena connected to an Engenius 3500 acting as an access point. The Engenius is cabled to the ethernet port. Using "Network Connections" (Ubuntu 10.04) I set the "IPV4" to Manual, Address to 192.168.1.21, Netmask to 255.255.255.0. Gateway to 192.168.1.1. "Apply" & authorize. I also turn off "Wireless" at the panel icon for Network Connections.

In the browser I enter 192.168.1.1 and get the software of the Engenius 3500. Clear in with name and password. Set the Engenius to be a access point, find the signals, select the desired signal, enter the WEP password and save.

Returning to Network Connections I return the computer to Automatic DHCP. The connection symbol whirls for quite a long time then the screen announces "wired network disconnected - you are now offline"

What's really maddening is that this thing worked for me at one point. It was blind luck that I found the correct combination of settings and procedures. After working on this off and on for about three weeks I've decided to ask for help. So if you can, I'll appreciated it. Thank you, Doug

• dsiddens
    daemon is inhibited
    I've got two 2.5" drives that I'm trying to get into the files. They are in external usb enclosures. They don't show up under "Places" (Ubuntu 10.04). However, I can see the partitions and sizes using Red Hat's Disk Utility. When trying to mount either of them I get the message "Daemon is inhibited". Will someone please post instructions, that if involving the command line, are exact? Thank you, Doug

I've got two 2.5" drives that I'm trying to get into the files. They are in external usb enclosures. They don't show up under "Places" (Ubuntu 10.04). However, I can see the partitions and sizes using Red Hat's Disk Utility. When trying to mount either of them I get the message "Daemon is inhibited".
    Will someone please post instructions, that if involving the command line, are exact?

Thank you, Doug

• dsiddens
    Hello
    Hello, I've been using Linux as a GUI user for about 9 years. I know some of you are wondering, "why don't you learn the command line?" Well, I guess it's sort of like asking why someone doesn't learn the violin. Or, why not learn calculus? You know, it would be really good if you learned metalworking... People have proclivities. Over the years I've stumbled along coming to find things I'd like to do (now Ubuntu) and have gone searching for nifty applications that bring me a solution. So today, I want to announce my lurking for solutions. Currently I have four problems I'm looking for solutions to. (I'll post in detail in the appropriate forums). Looking to get files from hard disk that shows the partition and size but the daemon is not doing it's thing. Configuring a ethernet connection to an access point with an Engenius gizmo. Getting Ubuntu 10.04 to be able to use NVIDIA drivers in a HP s7727c. And lastly, setting up a small network (three or four computers) that is able to handle NMEA 0183 sentences. Because we live on our boat. [img size=543]http://www.linux.com/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/tradewinds_47_photo.jpg[/img]

Hello,

I've been using Linux as a GUI user for about 9 years. I know some of you are wondering, "why don't you learn the command line?" Well, I guess it's sort of like asking why someone doesn't learn the violin. Or, why not learn calculus? You know, it would be really good if you learned metalworking... People have proclivities. Over the years I've stumbled along coming to find things I'd like to do (now Ubuntu) and have gone searching for nifty applications that bring me a solution.

So today, I want to announce my lurking for solutions. Currently I have four problems I'm looking for solutions to. (I'll post in detail in the appropriate forums). Looking to get files from hard disk that shows the partition and size but the daemon is not doing it's thing. Configuring a ethernet connection to an access point with an Engenius gizmo. Getting Ubuntu 10.04 to be able to use NVIDIA drivers in a HP s7727c. And lastly, setting up a small network (three or four computers) that is able to handle NMEA 0183 sentences. Because we live on our boat.

Who we are ?

The Linux Foundation is a non-profit consortium dedicated to the growth of Linux.

More About the foundation...

Frequent Questions

Join / Linux Training / Board