• Last Logged In: 13 Sep 13

Latest Posts

Posted by
Topic
Post Preview
Posted
  • R22000
    Laptop monitor issue.
    I'm not sure if this is in the right area but i have a question. Could someone explain to me how to setup any version of linux so that my 1366x768 resolution to run. right now the only way i can do that is to connect to an external monitor source. It boots and all but i cannot see login screen and i can't see the desktop without using external monitor which can be seen when using the external monitor to login. i was just wondering if there is a way that i can get this pc to just run otherwise because i honestly would prefer to run linux than windows 7 which is currently what i am running. i will probably run ubuntu because it just works.
    Link to this post 13 Sep 13

I'm not sure if this is in the right area but i have a question. Could someone explain to me how to setup any version of linux so that my 1366x768 resolution to run. right now the only way i can do that is to connect to an external monitor source. It boots and all but i cannot see login screen and i can't see the desktop without using external monitor which can be seen when using the external monitor to login. i was just wondering if there is a way that i can get this pc to just run otherwise because i honestly would prefer to run linux than windows 7 which is currently what i am running. i will probably run ubuntu because it just works.

• R22000
    What os distro of linux should i use on my netbook
    I just found a power supply cord that works for my netbook around first gen 1 core 2 threads honestly it was slower than my pentium 4 desktop ht with 2.8 ghz the netbook is 1.6ghz. the video is some really cruddy intel option. I know i would probably use either xfce or lxde maybe e17. my netbook has 2gb of memory. Windows xp honestly runs on it but not very well. I used to run ubuntu 10.10 or so on it using the netbook interface which honestly ran much better than windows generally speaking. obviously i do not need 64 bit so that may be something i do not need to consider. I like deb over rpm but i have not used rpm's very much. i have run sabayon before but not on that system. I have used linux almost exclusively on a gui before not a great deal of experience with the command line which i hope you will take into consideration. i do not mind having to use it slightly but i do not want a 5 hour or something like that project to get the system up and running. also it has a 160 gb hdd.
    Link to this post 17 Dec 12

I just found a power supply cord that works for my netbook around first gen 1 core 2 threads honestly it was slower than my pentium 4 desktop ht with 2.8 ghz the netbook is 1.6ghz. the video is some really cruddy intel option. I know i would probably use either xfce or lxde maybe e17. my netbook has 2gb of memory. Windows xp honestly runs on it but not very well. I used to run ubuntu 10.10 or so on it using the netbook interface which honestly ran much better than windows generally speaking. obviously i do not need 64 bit so that may be something i do not need to consider. I like deb over rpm but i have not used rpm's very much. i have run sabayon before but not on that system. I have used linux almost exclusively on a gui before not a great deal of experience with the command line which i hope you will take into consideration. i do not mind having to use it slightly but i do not want a 5 hour or something like that project to get the system up and running. also it has a 160 gb hdd.

• R22000
    Question about android and tablets
    I am debating getting a tablet this christmas for myself. 1. should i keep android on it or set it up for linux 2. What kind of hardware should i be looking at i do not want to spend more than 500 dollars honestly. 3. It must have full hd resolution i can't stand my laptop for not having better pixel density and pc's in general with the lack of pixel room.
    Link to this post 06 Dec 12

I am debating getting a tablet this christmas for myself. 1. should i keep android on it or set it up for linux 2. What kind of hardware should i be looking at i do not want to spend more than 500 dollars honestly. 3. It must have full hd resolution i can't stand my laptop for not having better pixel density and pc's in general with the lack of pixel room.

• R22000
    RE: I have a question related to hardware and a possible purchase
    Now when you say optimize lubuntu, what exatly do you mean i do not have much programming, scripting command line based knowledge but would be willing to learn if someone could point me to the right literature or webpages. Thanks.
    Link to this post 01 Dec 12

Now when you say optimize lubuntu, what exatly do you mean i do not have much programming, scripting command line based knowledge but would be willing to learn if someone could point me to the right literature or webpages. Thanks.

• R22000
    Looking to learn some scripting/anything else needed to figure this out..
    I want to unzip or unrar some files of pictures and then resize them smaller for my phone then rezip/rerar them. I do not want the scipt to do it directly i want to be lead to the information that will help me make a script to do it. basically skill wise i know a few commands to move around on a command line but not much else. i appreciate any help you could give i also have no programming skills. if this project is going to take time i want to take the time to learn. If it takes a year thats fine by me. I love the idea and concepts of linux, and honestly my biggest hobby is computers. And if anyone has some literature, help me figure out which kind of distro i should use between: arch, gentoo, slackware, debian, red hat, ie the type of package management. i like new software but not beta's, and i am really getting disgusted at the amount of ram windows requires even though i have 4 gigs i just get annoyed at how much it uses by itself.
    Link to this post 30 Nov 12

I want to unzip or unrar some files of pictures and then resize them smaller for my phone then rezip/rerar them. I do not want the scipt to do it directly i want to be lead to the information that will help me make a script to do it. basically skill wise i know a few commands to move around on a command line but not much else. i appreciate any help you could give i also have no programming skills. if this project is going to take time i want to take the time to learn. If it takes a year thats fine by me. I love the idea and concepts of linux, and honestly my biggest hobby is computers. And if anyone has some literature, help me figure out which kind of distro i should use between: arch, gentoo, slackware, debian, red hat, ie the type of package management. i like new software but not beta's, and i am really getting disgusted at the amount of ram windows requires even though i have 4 gigs i just get annoyed at how much it uses by itself.

• R22000
    I have a question related to hardware and a possible purchase
    Currently i am running lubuntu on my core 2 duo 6500 4gb ram 512 mb vid ram nvidia geforce 9300m. Ok so basically i am trying to figure out if i should purchase another laptop for better performance definitely nothing over 500 dollars us. I am currently have a 250 gb hard drive on the laptop but i use my 500 gb external to boot lubuntu and honestly i am totally falling in love with linux all over again. (i've been putsying with it on and off since ubuntu 6.06 or so. I am not very well versed in programming but would like to get to know more as a side hobby if anything. I like to run my emulated games on linux, n64, ps1, gba,gbc,gb,nds,snes,nes,genesis, master system,saturn,i think you get the idea. i am also trying to replace a program in windows that i use frequently thats converts my downloaded comics into smaller sizes for my phone called comicrack. I was thinking i might be able to write a script to literally unzip/unrar the file resize the images and rezip or rerar it and saving about 60-75% of the size. The rest of my computer use is basic internet stuff like flash, pdf's epubs. So basically i know i do not need to the biggest of performance jump because honestly the graphics dont make much a difference except maybe to make sure i can run it on my monitor that is full hd 1920x1080p. other than that graphics requirement if its better than what i have it should do me fine i think. also if anyone can point me in the right direction for ps2 or gamecube emulation on linux if it is at all possible i would appreciate it. Oh and also i have tried sabayon i just do not like the fact that its harder to find pre-done binaries for it if it is not in the repository. Thank you very much and have a great day.
    Link to this post 29 Nov 12

Currently i am running lubuntu on my core 2 duo 6500 4gb ram 512 mb vid ram nvidia geforce 9300m. Ok so basically i am trying to figure out if i should purchase another laptop for better performance definitely nothing over 500 dollars us. I am currently have a 250 gb hard drive on the laptop but i use my 500 gb external to boot lubuntu and honestly i am totally falling in love with linux all over again. (i've been putsying with it on and off since ubuntu 6.06 or so. I am not very well versed in programming but would like to get to know more as a side hobby if anything. I like to run my emulated games on linux, n64, ps1, gba,gbc,gb,nds,snes,nes,genesis, master system,saturn,i think you get the idea. i am also trying to replace a program in windows that i use frequently thats converts my downloaded comics into smaller sizes for my phone called comicrack. I was thinking i might be able to write a script to literally unzip/unrar the file resize the images and rezip or rerar it and saving about 60-75% of the size. The rest of my computer use is basic internet stuff like flash, pdf's epubs. So basically i know i do not need to the biggest of performance jump because honestly the graphics dont make much a difference except maybe to make sure i can run it on my monitor that is full hd 1920x1080p. other than that graphics requirement if its better than what i have it should do me fine i think. also if anyone can point me in the right direction for ps2 or gamecube emulation on linux if it is at all possible i would appreciate it. Oh and also i have tried sabayon i just do not like the fact that its harder to find pre-done binaries for it if it is not in the repository. Thank you very much and have a great day.

• R22000
    I am thinking of using a lxde or xfce version of linux i am maybe at best a medium level user
    I am thinking of taking my laptop and installing a version of either lxde, xfce, or kde based on such flavor of ubuntu, linux mint, id love to learn arch but only if it is not a huge learning curve because i always like to be up to date with my software. that is one of the few things i really enjoy about windows. and currently i am running windows 7 but sadly i only have a 64 bit version which we all know requires 4 gigs of ram and that is all i have on this set up. Therefore i cannot run windows 7 in a virtual environment on linux but i can run win 32 bit xp. there is one program i like to use for my comics called comic rack that i cannot get to run in linux either with wine or mono. but then again i do not know how to tinker with mono or any languages for that matter. otherwise honestly most of the programs i run on windows have equivalents or are the same on linux and i really want to migrate but i must be able to run comic rack in my opinion.
    Link to this post 06 Dec 11

I am thinking of taking my laptop and installing a version of either lxde, xfce, or kde based on such flavor of ubuntu, linux mint, id love to learn arch but only if it is not a huge learning curve because i always like to be up to date with my software. that is one of the few things i really enjoy about windows. and currently i am running windows 7 but sadly i only have a 64 bit version which we all know requires 4 gigs of ram and that is all i have on this set up. Therefore i cannot run windows 7 in a virtual environment on linux but i can run win 32 bit xp. there is one program i like to use for my comics called comic rack that i cannot get to run in linux either with wine or mono. but then again i do not know how to tinker with mono or any languages for that matter. otherwise honestly most of the programs i run on windows have equivalents or are the same on linux and i really want to migrate but i must be able to run comic rack in my opinion.

• R22000
    RE: I had a thought the other day.....
    Yeah i wasn't thinking it was actually feasible but i figured i would ask just to see. yeah its sad that a better product is being slowed down in development for home use by microsoft and apple just because they think they own that arena. I think patent trolling is a waste of time unless it were to affect say microsoft office sales or windows sales. And i still think it is unfair that whether you are a business or a home user that you pay the same price for their product. I mean for a home user to pay even 100 dollars for home premium 7 when most people dont even spend a 1000 dollars on the computer to begin with. That's 10% of the total cost of the computer for just one piece of software that honestly contains less than a linux distro cd and its contained within a 700 mb cd. Idk just seems kinda strange that i can fully load a version of ubuntu, i am not really knowlegable in command line oriented stuff but i do know a slight bit. i can load ubuntu install all the software i need to do what i want with a computer and it takes less space than my windows 7 windows folder. i just think that is horrible.
    Link to this post 09 Sep 11

Yeah i wasn't thinking it was actually feasible but i figured i would ask just to see. yeah its sad that a better product is being slowed down in development for home use by microsoft and apple just because they think they own that arena. I think patent trolling is a waste of time unless it were to affect say microsoft office sales or windows sales. And i still think it is unfair that whether you are a business or a home user that you pay the same price for their product. I mean for a home user to pay even 100 dollars for home premium 7 when most people dont even spend a 1000 dollars on the computer to begin with. That's 10% of the total cost of the computer for just one piece of software that honestly contains less than a linux distro cd and its contained within a 700 mb cd. Idk just seems kinda strange that i can fully load a version of ubuntu, i am not really knowlegable in command line oriented stuff but i do know a slight bit. i can load ubuntu install all the software i need to do what i want with a computer and it takes less space than my windows 7 windows folder. i just think that is horrible.

• R22000
    I had a thought the other day.....
    Mac OSX now wants to make all their software come from apple's servers isn't that kind of like the idea of a repository? I know some people will bash apple and others see no problem with them. I am just wondering if they are borrowing said idea can we not at least force them to put the GPL license onto their app store? I personally would not be willing to go as far as to say sue for monetary compensation. And I thought I remembered reading in the GPL that anything using said software would need to show its source code. another bite into apples back which is honestly more of what I would rather like to see than anything else. I am no m$ fanboy no mac fanboy and no linux fanboy(well not 100% anyways.) i can see the best each has to offer for different groups of people and that is fine by me.
    Link to this post 08 Sep 11

Mac OSX now wants to make all their software come from apple's servers isn't that kind of like the idea of a repository? I know some people will bash apple and others see no problem with them. I am just wondering if they are borrowing said idea can we not at least force them to put the GPL license onto their app store? I personally would not be willing to go as far as to say sue for monetary compensation. And I thought I remembered reading in the GPL that anything using said software would need to show its source code. another bite into apples back which is honestly more of what I would rather like to see than anything else. I am no m$ fanboy no mac fanboy and no linux fanboy(well not 100% anyways.) i can see the best each has to offer for different groups of people and that is fine by me.

Who we are ?

The Linux Foundation is a non-profit consortium dedicated to the growth of Linux.

More About the foundation...

Frequent Questions

Join / Linux Training / Board