• Last Logged In: 3 days ago

Latest Posts

Posted by
Topic
Post Preview
Posted
  • Estelle Angelinas
    RE: no wifi signal on 12.04
    Thank you! I am back on. I am still waiting for new LTS.
    Link to this post 22 Feb

Thank you!
    I am back on. I am still waiting for new LTS.

• Estelle Angelinas
    no wifi signal on 12.04
    Hello again, When I was online last night, my wifi signal was lost and I couldn't get it back. It doesn't even show on the desktop. I called the service provider and everything is ok on their part. The lights on the modem are all green. so I suppose there isn't any problems there. Now I'm on ethernet. I have Ubuntu 12.04 LTS, I keep on updating it, and maybe something isn't compatible. The wifi radar can't locate the signal...even though the modem is in the same room. I am patiently waiting for the new LTS, and am hoping these bugs will be solved. But in the meantime, is there something that I can do? Again, thanks in advance for any help. Or maybe I can install 14.04 now, is it stable?
    Link to this post 22 Feb

Hello again,

When I was online last night, my wifi signal was lost and I couldn't get it back. It doesn't even show on the desktop. I called the service provider and everything is ok on their part. The lights on the modem are all green. so I suppose there isn't any problems there. Now I'm on ethernet. I have Ubuntu 12.04 LTS, I keep on updating it, and maybe something isn't compatible. The wifi radar can't locate the signal...even though the modem is in the same room. I am patiently waiting for the new LTS, and am hoping these bugs will be solved. But in the meantime, is there something that I can do? Again, thanks in advance for any help.
    Or maybe I can install 14.04 now, is it stable?

• Estelle Angelinas
    RE: wifi on 12.04 and other questions
    Hi again, For the record the problem is solved. After changing frequency on wifi, there was no interference. Then the connection was reestablished... but there was a problem with the service provider and I was without any access what so ever. So I called then and they checked and fixed the problem from their side. Now all is well. All in all, it was a real learning experience. The response from launchpad was fast and immediate. Something that is rare these days. Also, from service provider... Sincerely,
    Link to this post 19 May 13

Hi again,
    For the record the problem is solved. After changing frequency on wifi, there was no interference. Then the connection was reestablished... but there was a problem with the service provider and I was without any access what so ever. So I called then and they checked and fixed the problem from their side. Now all is well.
    All in all, it was a real learning experience.
    The response from launchpad was fast and immediate. Something that is rare these days.
    Also, from service provider...

Sincerely,

• Estelle Angelinas
    Hello again, As an educator, I have always believed that knowledge is not a commodity that should be bought and sold(usually at high cost), but rather something that should be shared equally so that all may benifit. That is what got me into open source and Linux. In that same spirit, I pass on the link to my attempts to find a solution to my problem, with the help and support of the wonderful people in Launchpad. That way, everyone can follow and learn along with me. ( The brain is a muscle, and like all muscles must be exercised... or else it becomes weak and lazy.) Fortunately, open source and Linux... allows me to exercise mine. (https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+question/229010) Sincerely,
    Link to this post 17 May 13

Hello again,
    As an educator, I have always believed that knowledge is not a commodity that should be bought and sold(usually at high cost), but rather something that should be shared equally so that all may benifit.
    That is what got me into open source and Linux. In that same spirit, I pass on the link to
    my attempts to find a solution to my problem, with the help and support of the wonderful people in Launchpad. That way, everyone can follow and learn along with me. ( The brain is a muscle, and like all muscles must be exercised... or else it becomes weak and lazy.)
    Fortunately, open source and Linux... allows me to exercise mine.

(https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+question/229010)

Sincerely,

• Estelle Angelinas
    Hi, Thanks for reminding me. I reported the problem on Launchpad. Sincerely,
    Link to this post 16 May 13

Hi,
    Thanks for reminding me.
    I reported the problem on Launchpad.
    Sincerely,

• Estelle Angelinas
    Hello again, So far tried removing everything except the wifi client, nothing there. Then just removed and reinstalled wifi client, nothing. Finally reinstalled whole OS, nothing. Even tried creating new account, changing frequencies, running a diagnostic test of modem. As far as trying usb again... everytime it says that there is not enough space. Even though it is empty. Maybe, I'll just buy a larger one, they're cheap enough.(Mine is old) It could just be too much interference... it has happened before. But it solved itself,after a while. I'm in Greece.... we have this problem with infrastructure. The government hasn't done much to improve ISP service, which results in wired and wireless problems.. since practically everybody has some wireless device... they're quite affordable. That however is an economic/ political problem. Thanks anyways for all the help. Will let you know if I do find a solution. For now, will use ethernet... like my son suggests anyways. Sincerly,
    Link to this post 15 May 13

Hello again,
    So far tried removing everything except the wifi client, nothing there.
    Then just removed and reinstalled wifi client, nothing.
    Finally reinstalled whole OS, nothing.
    Even tried creating new account, changing frequencies, running a diagnostic test of modem.
    As far as trying usb again... everytime it says that there is not enough space. Even though it is empty. Maybe, I'll just buy a larger one, they're cheap enough.(Mine is old)
    It could just be too much interference... it has happened before. But it solved itself,after a while. I'm in Greece.... we have this problem with infrastructure. The government hasn't done much to improve ISP service, which results in wired and wireless problems.. since practically everybody has some wireless device... they're quite affordable.
    That however is an economic/ political problem.
    Thanks anyways for all the help. Will let you know if I do find a solution. For now, will use ethernet... like my son suggests anyways.
    Sincerly,

• Estelle Angelinas
    Hi Izzy, Thanks for replying. As far as I know, Ubuntu worked fine on Unity from the beginning. The modem that I am using is a wireless adsl2+ T&W matr-X 4ew, at least that is what it says on the manual. Other than Wifi Radar, I also use Windows wireless drivers and Broadcam STA wireless driver. I updated them when reinstalling 12.04. The whole problem started about 2 weeks ago, when spring break began. Then I begaan getting different signals on my wifi. There are many hot spots here, and almost everybody has an iphone or ipad. Also, in an attempt to upgrade to 13.04 everything crashed because wubi isn't supported by 13.04 and I had to reinstall again on wubi. I'd like to try 13.04 first from a usb stick, but mine is too small and I'm looking for one compatable with linux that I can use for this. I have tried various tweeks that I have read on different forums. Nothing works. If it helps... my laptop is a Samsung RF711. It has NVIDA Optimus , intel core i5. originally with windows 7. (here the problem started ) which is why I want to make a clean install. I can't understand why wifi works with Windows and not with Ubuntu. Especially since it worked before. I hope that this is enough information. Sincerely,
    Link to this post 14 May 13

Hi Izzy,

Thanks for replying. As far as I know, Ubuntu worked fine on Unity from the beginning.
    The modem that I am using is a wireless adsl2+ T&W matr-X 4ew, at least that is what it says
    on the manual. Other than Wifi Radar, I also use Windows wireless drivers and Broadcam STA
    wireless driver. I updated them when reinstalling 12.04.
    The whole problem started about 2 weeks ago, when spring break began. Then I begaan getting different signals on my wifi. There are many hot spots here, and almost everybody has an iphone or ipad.
    Also, in an attempt to upgrade to 13.04 everything crashed because wubi isn't supported by 13.04 and I had to reinstall again on wubi. I'd like to try 13.04 first from a usb stick, but mine is too small and I'm looking for one compatable with linux that I can use for this. I have tried various tweeks that I have read on different forums. Nothing works.
    If it helps... my laptop is a Samsung RF711. It has NVIDA Optimus , intel core i5. originally with windows 7. (here the problem started ) which is why I want to make a clean install.
    I can't understand why wifi works with Windows and not with Ubuntu. Especially since it worked before.
    I hope that this is enough information.
    Sincerely,

• Estelle Angelinas
    wifi on 12.04 and other questions
    Hi, I have been using 12.04 happily since installing it. After a crash recently (from wubi) I reinstalled it with a usb stick. All works fine but suddenly, I can't use wifi. It recognizes the signal and shows that it is strong. But Wifi Radar also shows other signals. It just won't connect. On Windows 7, however(which I also have for emergencies), all is well. Is this an OS issue, am I missing something... that I also need to reinstall? Any commands that I could use? Or is it just that there is too much interference? (If so, why does it work with Windows?) Is there any way I could block these signals? Also, I'd like to know which usb sticks are compatable with linux, and how many GB's are needed. I tried to load 13.04 on mine, 4GB and it wasn't eneough. I know that these might sound like silly questions to those who are more experienced, but I would greatly appreciate any help. (My 60 yr. old brain is slow in learning ) Sincerely,
    Link to this post 13 May 13

Hi,
    I have been using 12.04 happily since installing it. After a crash recently (from wubi) I reinstalled it with a usb stick. All works fine but suddenly, I can't use wifi. It recognizes the signal and shows that it is strong. But Wifi Radar also shows other signals. It just won't connect.
    On Windows 7, however(which I also have for emergencies), all is well.
    Is this an OS issue, am I missing something... that I also need to reinstall? Any commands that I could use? Or is it just that there is too much interference? (If so, why does it work with Windows?) Is there any way I could block these signals?
    Also, I'd like to know which usb sticks are compatable with linux, and how many GB's are needed. I tried to load 13.04 on mine, 4GB and it wasn't eneough.
    I know that these might sound like silly questions to those who are more experienced, but I would greatly appreciate any help. (My 60 yr. old brain is slow in learning )

Sincerely,

• Estelle Angelinas
    Linux Ubuntu in China
    Hi, I found this on another site and wanted to share it. A new market for Linux? http://www.h-online.com/open/news/item/Ubuntu-Kylin-to-become-reference-OS-in-China-1829263.html
    Link to this post 25 Mar 13

Hi,
    I found this on another site and wanted to share it. A new market for Linux?

http://www.h-online.com/open/news/item/Ubuntu-Kylin-to-become-reference-OS-in-China-1829263.html

• Estelle Angelinas
    Installing Ubuntu 12.04 with Windows installer
    I recently discovered a different way to install Ubuntu desktops through the windows Ubuntu installer. It worked for the latest version... no need for iso disk or usb stick. Of course you must have Windows installed on your computer... below is the link. (http://www.ubuntu.com/download/desktop/windows-installer) Some may have already heard about this, but as usual I am late in learning.
    Link to this post 23 Sep 12

I recently discovered a different way to install Ubuntu desktops through the windows Ubuntu installer. It worked for the latest version... no need for iso disk or usb stick. Of course you must have Windows installed on your computer... below is the link.
    (http://www.ubuntu.com/download/desktop/windows-installer)

Some may have already heard about this, but as usual I am late in learning.

Who we are ?

The Linux Foundation is a non-profit consortium dedicated to the growth of Linux.

More About the foundation...

Frequent Questions

Join / Linux Training / Board