• Last Logged In: 01 Jul 12

Latest Posts

Posted by
Topic
Post Preview
Posted
  • BrianMCollins
    RE: Welcome: Why build an open cloud?
    One of the things I hear in my work world, is "we are never going 100% public cloud". I hear this time and time again from established Fortune 1000 companies and government/public agencies. That said, some of them have mandates to start using service providers for a certain percentage of their budgets. OK then so these folks are either looking at something relatively mundane such as some SaaS to satisfy their CIOs, or are trying to figure out some way to make hybrid clouds work for them. I see an open cloud, or at minimum the standardization of APIs as being critical to cloud adoption in these organizations. If they cannot freely move workloads into and out of their walls, or shard applications to straddle the firewall, they will never realize the benefits of service-based computing. If a shop is 100% Windows, they can already move workloads in and out of Azure painlessly. Service providers working with other, open, and heterogeneous platforms need to think about that. I agree with luket, but I also think there is something more fundamental in the cloud space that openness and particularly open standards can bring. Consider the model of the power companies. Yes, you need to take little dongles around with you when you travel, but basically you plug in, use what you brought, and get charged for what you consume. We need to get to that level of simplicity. else, we will be back to the days if IP, IPX, AppleTalk, ArcNet, yada-yada.
    Link to this post 01 Jul 12

One of the things I hear in my work world, is "we are never going 100% public cloud". I hear this time and time again from established Fortune 1000 companies and government/public agencies. That said, some of them have mandates to start using service providers for a certain percentage of their budgets. OK then so these folks are either looking at something relatively mundane such as some SaaS to satisfy their CIOs, or are trying to figure out some way to make hybrid clouds work for them.

I see an open cloud, or at minimum the standardization of APIs as being critical to cloud adoption in these organizations. If they cannot freely move workloads into and out of their walls, or shard applications to straddle the firewall, they will never realize the benefits of service-based computing.

If a shop is 100% Windows, they can already move workloads in and out of Azure painlessly. Service providers working with other, open, and heterogeneous platforms need to think about that.

I agree with luket, but I also think there is something more fundamental in the cloud space that openness and particularly open standards can bring. Consider the model of the power companies. Yes, you need to take little dongles around with you when you travel, but basically you plug in, use what you brought, and get charged for what you consume.

We need to get to that level of simplicity. else, we will be back to the days if IP, IPX, AppleTalk, ArcNet, yada-yada.

Who we are ?

The Linux Foundation is a non-profit consortium dedicated to the growth of Linux.

More About the foundation...

Frequent Questions

Join / Linux Training / Board