• Last Logged In: 18 Feb 13

Latest Posts

Posted by
Topic
Post Preview
Posted
  • Dajoca
    RE: Linux search facility?
    Thanks for the most helpful reply. Would it be a relatively simple task to enable the search facility to index Ntfs partitions in a dual boot system, as it is something I always have problems with? Many thanks.
    Link to this post 16 Feb 13

Thanks for the most helpful reply.
    Would it be a relatively simple task to enable the search facility to index Ntfs partitions in a dual boot system, as it is something I always have problems with?

Many thanks.

• Dajoca
    Linux search facility?
    On windows there are several 3rd party search programs such as Everything.exe, Agent ransack, Locate32 etc. Install them and they just work very well and very easily. "Locate and Agent" perform a live search, whereas "Everything" indexes all of the drives quickly and once complete, presents results instantly. It's database is also tiny, despite it's speed and completeness of indexing. Now onto Linux, where I have failed to find a search utility with anything remotely like the ease of use, small footprint and instant results of the windows versions. Is it impossible for such a small, simple and thorough program to exist on Linux for some reason, as I have been unable to find anything comparable. Tried tracker, recoll, catfish, strigi etc and there always seem to be something that prevents it from working "out of the box", or it's indexing is painfully slow, or it's database is just massive. I know searches can be run from the terminal, but when I am trying to get others to convert to Linux, the lack of a user friendly search (and troublesome printer drivers) makes it more difficult to persuade them. Thanks in advance.
    Link to this post 16 Feb 13

On windows there are several 3rd party search programs such as Everything.exe, Agent ransack, Locate32 etc.
    Install them and they just work very well and very easily.

"Locate and Agent" perform a live search, whereas "Everything" indexes all of the drives quickly and once complete, presents results instantly. It's database is also tiny, despite it's speed and completeness of indexing.

Now onto Linux, where I have failed to find a search utility with anything remotely like the ease of use, small footprint and instant results of the windows versions.
    Is it impossible for such a small, simple and thorough program to exist on Linux for some reason, as I have been unable to find anything comparable.

Tried tracker, recoll, catfish, strigi etc and there always seem to be something that prevents it from working "out of the box", or it's indexing is painfully slow, or it's database is just massive.

I know searches can be run from the terminal, but when I am trying to get others to convert to Linux, the lack of a user friendly search (and troublesome printer drivers) makes it more difficult to persuade them.

Thanks in advance.

Who we are ?

The Linux Foundation is a non-profit consortium dedicated to the growth of Linux.

More About the foundation...

Frequent Questions

Join / Linux Training / Board