• Last Logged In: 29 Jul 13

Latest Posts

Posted by
Topic
Post Preview
Posted
  • willrob
    RE: Adding some logic to a Linux Server running Cent OS6
    Hi Z, thanks for getting back to me, I haven't looked around for free solutions as yet because as I explained in the initial post I don't exactly know what it is that I have to do? I was hoping that I could find something that would teach me how to do it. Basically what I have is a website that the user can download the smartphone web app from to their device. I know that there is always a possibility of someone by-passing a payment procedure but never the less I've got to have some security in place as standard procedure. Everything I've done for this has been self taught either from books or searching through stacks of information on the internet so what I'm hoping for is a point in the right direction to give me the information required to carry out my question. An example Test App may help to support my post. From your Smartphone device browser (iPhone/iPad/iPod touch/Blackberry or Android) please type in the following address www.nsbapp.com/yrpvTestApp upon opening up of the app from the NSbasic test server please choose the installation procedure for your particular device [b]iPhone and iPad/iPod touch[/b] From your device, in the Safari browser choose the required app When the app appears on to screen select the Action button at the foot of the device From the menu select add to home screen You will see the Application Icon appear, select add. Close and return to the home screen The application is added to the device in which the executable Icon is placed on to the home screen. [b]Android[/b] From your device, in the browser choose the required phone app When the app appears on to screen select the menu button and create a Bookmark, then close and return to the home screen. Hold your finger on the home screen briefly, a menu appears, select shortcuts (In newer versions of Android select widgets), bookmarks and then add application to Home Screen. The application is added to the device in which the executable Icon is placed on to the home screen. [b]Blackberry[/b] From your device, in the browser choose the required phone app When the app appears on to screen select the BlackBerry button, then select add to home screen. The application Icon will appear, select add and then close and return to the home screen. The application is added to the device in which the executable Icon is placed on to the home [b]As you can see this is all very simple as long as I can get the list 1 to 5 from my initial post in place before the download and running of the app[/b] [b]Kind regards[/b] [b]Will[/b]
    Link to this post 22 Jul 13

Hi Z, thanks for getting back to me, I haven't looked around for free solutions as yet because as I explained in the initial post I don't exactly know what it is that I have to do? I was hoping that I could find something that would teach me how to do it. Basically what I have is a website that the user can download the smartphone web app from to their device. I know that there is always a possibility of someone by-passing a payment procedure but never the less I've got to have some security in place as standard procedure. Everything I've done for this has been self taught either from books or searching through stacks of information on the internet so what I'm hoping for is a point in the right direction to give me the information required to carry out my question. An example Test App may help to support my post.

From your Smartphone device browser (iPhone/iPad/iPod touch/Blackberry or Android)

please type in the following address www.nsbapp.com/yrpvTestApp

upon opening up of the app from the NSbasic test server please choose the installation procedure for your particular device

iPhone and iPad/iPod touch
    From your device, in the Safari browser choose the required app
    When the app appears on to screen select the Action button at the foot of the device
    From the menu select add to home screen
    You will see the Application Icon appear, select add. Close and return to the home screen
    The application is added to the device in which the executable Icon is placed on to the home screen.
    Android
    From your device, in the browser choose the required phone app
    When the app appears on to screen select the menu button and create a Bookmark, then close and return to the home screen.
    Hold your finger on the home screen briefly, a menu appears, select shortcuts (In newer versions of Android select widgets), bookmarks and then add application to Home Screen.
    The application is added to the device in which the executable Icon is placed on to the home screen.
    Blackberry
    From your device, in the browser choose the required phone app
    When the app appears on to screen select the BlackBerry button, then select add to home screen. The application Icon will appear, select add and then close and return to the home screen.
    The application is added to the device in which the executable Icon is placed on to the home

As you can see this is all very simple as long as I can get the list 1 to 5 from my initial post in place before the download and running of the app
    Kind regards
    Will

• willrob
    Adding some logic to a Linux Server running Cent OS6
    Hi, Firstly I would like to say that I know nothing about this what so ever and I wouldn't even know where to start to look (apart from here of course). My scenario is that as of next week I will be deploying my Smartphone web apps to a Linux Server ready for sale. I want to use gumroad webhooks (https://gumroad.com/webhooks) to carry out the administrative side of things but have been advised that I need to create some server side logic for security reasons first. This is what I've been advised to do: (I'd welcome any other Input) 1. You have the user create a username and password for your application if they want to purchase (stored server-side). 2. After the ID is created, you send them over to gumroad to purchase (including a user ID). 3. If the purchase is successful, gumroad contacts your server with the user ID. 4. The server marks that user as authorized/purchased. At this point, what you return to gumroad doesn't matter, as long as it gets the user back to your app. 5. The user logs in, and their account is now authorized. As you can see, it's going to require a bit of server side authorization if you don't want people to be able to re-use licenses. If someone could point me in the right direction for examples on procedures and coding that would be much appreciated Kind Regards Will
    Link to this post 21 Jul 13

Hi, Firstly I would like to say that I know nothing about this what so ever and I wouldn't even know where to start to look (apart from here of course). My scenario is that as of next week I will be deploying my Smartphone web apps to a Linux Server ready for sale. I want to use gumroad webhooks (https://gumroad.com/webhooks) to carry out the administrative side of things but have been advised that I need to create some server side logic for security reasons first. This is what I've been advised to do: (I'd welcome any other Input)

1. You have the user create a username and password for your application if they want to purchase (stored server-side).
    2. After the ID is created, you send them over to gumroad to purchase (including a user ID).
    3. If the purchase is successful, gumroad contacts your server with the user ID.
    4. The server marks that user as authorized/purchased. At this point, what you return to gumroad doesn't matter, as long as it gets the user back to your app.
    5. The user logs in, and their account is now authorized.

As you can see, it's going to require a bit of server side authorization if you don't want people to be able to re-use licenses.

If someone could point me in the right direction for examples on procedures and coding that would be much appreciated
    Kind Regards
    Will

• willrob
    Selling web Applications from Linux Server
    Hi everybody at the Linux Forum. I have recently completed some web applications that a client wants to sell from their website. They have a Linux server running CentOS 6 in which I want to deploy the web apps to (5 phone apps and 1 iPad app) the server from which the customer can perform an Over The Air install to their device after payment. The way I would like to carry out the procedure is something like this: 1. On the device get the user to enter some unique ID, just like you do when signing up on a web site. 2. Do a POST to your server that checks against IDs already assigned. We call a server web service that queries the DB; if a match is found, send back to the chooser to try a new ID. 3. If ID is not found, generate a unique code (A GUID in windows), create a record in a user table with the ID and code. 4. Send the code back to the device and store the user id and code in the application. 5. when the user connects they supply the id and code; the server queries the user table and allows the connection if valid. This protects against pretty much everything except a user giving their id and code to another user. To protect against that you have generate a unique ID on the device and use that with the user and unlock code (so you have three components: device id, userid, and user code). That application-generated code could be encrypted if you really want secure access. My question is : (a)Is there something that could be set up similar for a Linux Server (b) What would this entail and how (c) I am a complete novice in this area so I would be prepared to pay a fee for good information and code to get this going. Kind Regards Will
    Link to this post 04 Mar 13

Hi everybody at the Linux Forum. I have recently completed some web applications that a client wants to sell from their website. They have a Linux server running CentOS 6 in which I want to deploy the web apps to (5 phone apps and 1 iPad app) the server from which the customer can perform an Over The Air install to their device after payment. The way I would like to carry out the procedure is something like this:

1. On the device get the user to enter some unique ID, just like you do when signing up on a web site.
    2. Do a POST to your server that checks against IDs already assigned. We call a server web service that queries the DB; if a match is found, send back to the chooser to try a new ID.
    3. If ID is not found, generate a unique code (A GUID in windows), create a record in a user table with the ID and code.
    4. Send the code back to the device and store the user id and code in the application.
    5. when the user connects they supply the id and code; the server queries the user table and allows the connection if valid.

This protects against pretty much everything except a user giving their id and code to another user. To protect against that you have generate a unique ID on the device and use that with the user and unlock code (so you have three components: device id, userid, and user code). That application-generated code could be encrypted if you really want secure access.

My question is :
    (a)Is there something that could be set up similar for a Linux Server
    (b) What would this entail and how
    (c) I am a complete novice in this area so I would be prepared to pay a fee for good information and code to get this going.

Kind Regards
    Will

Who we are ?

The Linux Foundation is a non-profit consortium dedicated to the growth of Linux.

More About the foundation...

Frequent Questions

Join / Linux Training / Board