Linux.com

Desktop Environments

Link to this post 20 May 09

What do you find to be the most productive desktop environment?

My personal favourite is XMonad. The easy-to-use keyboard interface allows for a quick and responsive way to deal with programs, rivalling the power of the command-line, yet including the options of the GUI. Furthermore, the simple and straight-forward design runs and works faster than either GNOME or KDE, and the tiling system allows for an efficient task-handling device. In addition, it is written in Haskell, and is more stable than most other desktop managers.

Therefore, I believe that XMonad provides the more efficient and productive environment.

Link to this post 20 May 09

Oh, I just realized that I wasn't logged on ...

Link to this post 24 May 09

I'm a pretty big fan of XFCE when it comes to a full desktop environment. It does everything most users want, is very low on resource usage, and is fairly easily customized (working with compiz and devilspie can lead to a desktop that is beautifully custom).

Outside of XFCE I really love the pekwm window manager. It allows window grouping, and is very flexible and customizable. I've also been playing around with the awesome window manager -- a tiling manger similar to monad or ion.

IMO - tiling window managers are nice, I've just never really had the time to sit down and tweak them to the level that I'd like to. Without doing that, I haven't reached the productivity level that I have with XFCE and/or pekwm.

George

Link to this post 29 May 09

My main preference is GNOME. I had used KDE in the past, but I just had this fondness for GNOME. I mostly like GTK applications anyway, so it fits me very well.

I have played with a few window managers. I have also played with Xfce (but not LXDE, yet B)). I really like GNOME apps and most other apps I use like Firefox, fit with GNOME better.

I am worried about GNOME 3.0 and the GNOME Shell, though. I haven't looked into it much yet. The sad thing for me is that many developers prefer to lose many options they had and stick to sane defaults, which is nice. But, some of those options that I need to use my computer efficiently become difficult to get to.

I may end up switching to either Xfce or KDE in a couple of years, who knows? I can be quite the thrill-seeker. B)

Link to this post 29 May 09

I like GNOME myself, not because its the fastest desktop environment but because its solid and never lets me down. I have noticed that when software just works it helps me suppress my incessant need to tinker and so im ultimately more productive because of this.

Link to this post 02 Jun 09

Desktop Environments wrote:

What do you find to be the most productive desktop environment?

My personal favourite is XMonad. The easy-to-use keyboard interface allows for a quick and responsive way to deal with programs, rivalling the power of the command-line, yet including the options of the GUI. Furthermore, the simple and straight-forward design runs and works faster than either GNOME or KDE, and the tiling system allows for an efficient task-handling device. In addition, it is written in Haskell, and is more stable than most other desktop managers.

Therefore, I believe that XMonad provides the more efficient and productive environment.

Between the big two, I opt for GNOME. I mainly use Fedora/RHEL/CentOS, so this makes sense. If I'm over the network , I use Fluxbox (Blackbox, in a pinch). If I'm on a dog-slow box, I use Fluxbox with SLIM. If I want to impress somebody who's never seen/used Linux, I use Enlightenment.

Who we are ?

The Linux Foundation is a non-profit consortium dedicated to the growth of Linux.

More About the foundation...

Frequent Questions

Join / Linux Training / Board