Linux.com

Home Linux Community Forums Software Productivity Distributions for Scientific Computing

Distributions for Scientific Computing

Link to this post 28 Jun 10

Does anyone know of distributions which excel for those of working in fields involve scientific/mathematical computing - ie. preconfigured with all the compilers (almost all distributions would have this of course), numerical libraries, graphics visualization tools, mpi, etc. ??

Thanks,
R Haynes

Link to this post 29 Jun 10

Well, I'm not expert but as a reference I would tell you that the MareNostrum (a supercomputer at my University) runs Suse linux...

Link to this post 29 Jun 10
Link to this post 21 Jul 10

What GoinEasy9 said, try Scientific Linux. It is a RHEL derived distribution maintained by the high energy physics community and is widely used world-wide for scientific research, data acquisition, data analysis, and just general use. My wife even uses it on her Toshiba netbook computer (she is a particle physicist at a major accelerator lab).

Link to this post 22 Jul 10

What are you trying to do? Single desktop? Server? Cloud? If you are looking into doing FLOPs then you should look at what this Professor did with just a few PS3s and Linux. Or, password crackers use Linux on a single gaming machine while running SLIed graphics cards for the GPUs (ref:Using multiple graphics cards as a general purpose parallel computer: applications to computer vision by Fung, J. Mann) I saw it at Defcon cracking away, damn thing was so fast. Its a Black Hats wet dream!

Who we are ?

The Linux Foundation is a non-profit consortium dedicated to the growth of Linux.

More About the foundation...

Frequent Questions

Join / Linux Training / Board