Linux.com

Home Linux Community Forums Software Productivity Non- "WYSIWYG" Text Editing?

Non- "WYSIWYG" Text Editing?

Link to this post 31 May 11

GrouchoMarxist wrote:

[b]mfillpot wrote:[/b]
[quote]My favorite non-wysiwyg editor for documentation is texmaker (http://www.xm1math.net/texmaker/) , it will make it a little bit easier to make clean LaTeX document for postscript or PDF output.

Thank you for posting this link! I am currently su apt-getting it right now. :)

Would LaTeX also be advisable for non-technical works as well? I ask because I would like to compose several non-Linux related works, such as a science fiction book? Thank you for your help in this matter.[/quote]

LaTeX is commonly used for most professional documentations such as books and mathematic uses. The language syntax can be a little difficult since it is a markup language, but the resulting professional output will be well worth the effort.

But to answer your questions clearly, yes it can be used for any writing you wish. I personally use LaTeX for my resume, personal manuals other read-only documents that I wish to share.

GrouchoMarxist wrote:

Would LaTeX also be advisable for non-technical works as well? I ask because I would like to compose several non-Linux related works, such as a science fiction book? Thank you for your help in this matter.
For non-technical works, LaTeX still has the advantage of separating the content from the formatting. You can write your entire book without having to care about how the document looks, and just focus on the content.

When you're done, you can then tweak the appearance of the document by modifying your "preamble". You can of course play with fonts, margins and section headings - but there's a lot more available, like proper ligatures and smallcaps by default, and support for microtypography. If you ever wonder how to make the document look exactly how you want it, someone has probably made a TeX package that lets you do it.

jabirali wrote:

[b]GrouchoMarxist wrote:[/b]
[quote]Would LaTeX also be advisable for non-technical works as well? I ask because I would like to compose several non-Linux related works, such as a science fiction book? Thank you for your help in this matter.
For non-technical works, LaTeX still has the advantage of separating the content from the formatting. You can write your entire book without having to care about how the document looks, and just focus on the content.

When you're done, you can then tweak the appearance of the document by modifying your "preamble". You can of course play with fonts, margins and section headings - but there's a lot more available, like proper ligatures and smallcaps by default, and support for microtypography. If you ever wonder how to make the document look exactly how you want it, someone has probably made a TeX package that lets you do it.[/quote]

I've seen very powerfull things with LateX. It is one of the things on my ToDo list...

Someday...

Regards

Who we are ?

The Linux Foundation is a non-profit consortium dedicated to the growth of Linux.

More About the foundation...

Frequent Questions

Join / Linux Training / Board