Linux.com

Home Linux Community Forums Hardware Storage Ext3 or ext4? Which Would You Recommend?

Ext3 or ext4? Which Would You Recommend?

Link to this post 07 Apr 11

I waited quite a while till ext4 was stable ... it's stable enough now, with many advantages, it's my choice now for all my partitions.

Link to this post 08 Apr 11

Without a doubt ext4

Ext4 supports all of ext2/ext3 functionallities and a *lot* more.

The one I like the most: *fast* file system checking (and formating)

You've got barriers as well as delayed allocation and many many other things.

Trust me: go for ext4

Regards

Link to this post 28 Jul 11

In the case of production stability ext4 might be a bit of a scare for the more conservative, not that I have noticed anything but on the other I've not seen any test on the stability on high I/O storage systems (for that I use ZFS) and also if you feel the need to have a great /home partiton filesystem I would look at xfs since that + LVM equals awsome...

Here are some fun reading: http://www-958.ibm.com/software/data/cognos/manyeyes/datasets/89ade5ae14209c140114bcee8c082d35/versions/1

Also a mention to prevent flamewars the when at the crossroad of selecting Filesystem I most often run with a simple use what you think is right. Like stated the difference between ext2 and ext4 is mainly in the journal and around 20 years of age :). New is not allways better though.

Link to this post 29 Jul 11

Stick with ext4.

Link to this post 13 Oct 11

I've been using Ext4 for about 5-6 months now, I have never had a problem with it. Seems fast and stable to me.

Who we are ?

The Linux Foundation is a non-profit consortium dedicated to the growth of Linux.

More About the foundation...

Frequent Questions

Join / Linux Training / Board