April 13, 2015

Chapter 4 - Insufficient attention paid to Ubuntu?

Hi,

I am using Ubuntu 14.04 Desktop and will be taking the LFSA and LFCE certification exams on Ubuntu. I recently completed LFS101.

I honestly could not decide whether Chapter 4 was really really good or really really bad. Since I am using Ubuntu 14.04 I have no access to chkconfig because its deprecated; so had to use update-rc.d for Exercise 4.1. Also, my experience with scripts (LFS101...) had not extended to the source command previously (. /etc/sysconfig/fake_service or source /etc/default/fake_service $VAR1 $VAR2). Consequently, had to figure out where $VAR1 and $VAR2 were 'magically' getting their values from (". /etc/sysconfig/fake_service" is not very descriptive). Use of "source /etc/default/fake_service $VAR1 $VAR2" might have made the script more accessible to the less experienced.

Then when I used the command "sudo update-rc.d fake_service defaults" I got error messages (warnings) because the script did not have a header like the following:

### BEGIN INIT INFO
# Provides: fake_service
# Required-Start: $remote_fs $syslog
# Required-Stop: $remote_fs $syslog
# Default-Start: 2 3 4 5
# Default-Stop: 0 1 6
# Short-Description: Start daemon at boot time
# Description: Enable service provided by daemon.
### END INIT INFO

I conclude that Chapter 4 was both really good and really bad at the same time. It was bad because it did not in of itself contain sufficient information to complete the exercises assigned. It was good in that it provided a task and sufficient information to go and research solutions because the fake_service would not install and start without errors therefore providing a rich learning experience. From the point of view of being here to gain certification as a System Admin / Engineer on Ubuntu then I think LSB Init Scripts should have merited a mention in Chapter 4.

Click Here!