A message for Linux.com registered users: We are in the process of making changes to the Linux forums. From Monday, 8/13/18 at 6:00 PM PT to Tuesday, 8/14/18 at 4:00 PM PT, you will be unable to access the forums. They will re-launch as soon as possible on Tuesday, 8/14/18 with new features and improved functionality. Thank you for your patience and stay tuned for the new improved forums.

January 7, 2017

Directory file

I have just finished chapters covering about filesystem. But I am keep wondering where does the directory file is created and kept when creating filesystem using mkfs. I understand that files are accessed by referring file name and inode association in "directory file". I understood that Operating system kernel VFS abstraction layer is used for showing up all directory entries from "directory file" when we browse through the directory. I think, the directory file cannot be edited manually and that's why it is hidden in somewhere. I am keep wondering where does kernel keep the "directory file" for the filesystem. Does it store it in same filesystem or in different place? VFS need to look for the directory file for the user to when he/she browse through the directory right? Can you please explain me from where VFS abstraction layer finds the "directory file" which can show them list of file names?

Thank you very much.

Click Here!