October 24, 2015

Encrypted Swap will not mount at boot

I am having an issue with Lab 10.2: Encrypted Swap

I already have an LVM logical volume which contains my entire root partition, it is LUKS encrypted with the passphrase entered interactively at boot.
I am able to create, encrypt, and activate the swap partition successfully inside of a linux session and I edited /etc/fstab and /etc/crypttab with what I believe are the correct entries to start it up at boot.

The encrypted swap will not mount on reboot. The kernel boot log shows:

systemd[1]: Reached target RPC Port Mapper
systemd[1]: Timed out waiting for device dev-mapper-swap\x2dcrypt.device
systemd[1]: Dependency failed for /dev/mapper/crypt-swap
systemd[1]: Dependency failed for Swap

My /etc/fstab entry is:
/dev/mapper/crypt-swap none swap defaults 0 0
My /etc/crypttab entry is:
crypt-swap /dev/mapper/vg-swap /dev/urandom swap
/dev/mapper/vg-swap is the mapped device name of the swap partition contained on an LVM logical volume on my system.
crypt-swap is the mapped device name of the swap partition when unlocked/unencrypted.

Since I already have one encrypted partition(root) for which I interactively enter a passphrase at boot, how do I get the second encrypted partition to prompt for a passphrase, or load a keyfile? I've spent alot of time screwing with --key-file=xxx in the 3rd field of /etc/crypttab, but I get a different set of kernel log errors in that case and can only decrypt and mount the encrypted swap manually from within a linux session.

Not sure if this is some sort of systemd specific issue or not. Can anyone help me or point me in the right direction with this?

Click Here!