May 31, 2017

Alternate DNS query

Hi, 
I am trying to figure out this, but hours of googling couldn't help me to find out the answer. 
Currently I am doing my LABs in public library. The library network blocks my default DNS query to addresses such as 75.75.75.75 (Comcast DNS which works when I am at home). I added the DNS server address of the library to my VM as a secondary DNS address in /etc/network/interfaces file. But its still not working. When I place the library's DNS address on top of the DNS server names in /etc/network/interfaces or /etc/resolv.conf files, it works well. I added timeout:1 rotate and attempts:5 (with many different values) in /etc/resolv.conf file as well. It couldn't help. My test machines are stopping to resolve names whenever the library's DNS address is placed after the Comcast DNS server (which is blocked by the library's firewall). I am not sure what I am doing wrong. And wondering even if it worked like inserting manual entries in the /etc/resolv.conf file, how can we make it persistent in reboots like updating /etc/network/interfaces file. Is there any way to add DNS rotate or timeout options in the /etc/network/interfaces file and make them persistent over reboot, please?

Best regards,
Toogii 

Click Here!