A message for Linux.com registered users: We are in the process of making changes to the Linux forums. Starting Monday, 8/13/18 at 6:00 PM PT, you will be unable to access the forums. They will re-launch as soon as possible on Wednesday, 8/15/18 with new features and improved functionality. Thank you for your patience and stay tuned for the new improved forums.
MEPIS-C Release 1
MEPIS-C (current version Mark-2) is a remaster of SimplyMEPIS 8.0.06. It focuses on teaching Linux usage, programming (general, system and network), networking and security concepts. In this sense it contains a comprehensive collection of free documentation and utilities. Despite its primary goal of teaching, it should remain a useful tool for professionals in the given fields as well.
Last but not least, it features the SquashFS-LZMA compression, which increases usable space by 200+ MB compared to the plain SquashFS.
- G++, Sphinx C--, Dev-C++
- NASM, FASM, HLA
- KHexEdit, HTE, KDbg, GDB, NTCore Explorer Suite, OllyDbg
- Wicd, Wireshark, Tor/Privoxy (unconfigured), Snort
- Wine, 7-Zip FM, UHARC, Krusader, MC
- BFI, MKBT, QEMU/Qemulator
- Expert Guide (NG doc viewer), KCHMViewer
- Flawfinder (C/C++ code security)
Does NOT Contain:
- Amarok, digiKam (I'd install Winamp and IrfanView IIWY)
- Kino, K/MPlayer
- Mepis Network Assistant (due to conflicts with Wicd)
- KOrganizer, JBidWatcher, KMail
The MEPIS-C project is only at its start, and your support is needed.
Feedback, suggestions, criticism and any other kind of help are most welcome. M2 (probably) has a lot of bugs, poorly configured software and garbage in /etc. Future versions are planned to have more network/security-related content. So there's a lot to improve and fine tune.
Thank you for reading, and I hope you find MEPIS-C useful.