December 18, 2011

Inability to create Direct HAL device error (0x8876086) and ‘phantom’ Ubuntu bootup

Please forgive the length of this – I want to give as clear a picture as possible, in order to resolve the issues and get started with Ubuntu.

It seems that solutions are not very readily available, but I am willing to be patient and keep on doing research as I really would like to experience using Ubuntu.

I tried to install Ubuntu with Wubi and received the message

An error occurred.
No such file or directory.
For more information, please see the log file.

This said (a):

Ubuntu 11.10 installation error: Could not create DirectX HAL device (0x8876086)

I then uninstalled the program, removed all remaining files and rebooted.

On reboot I saw an option to use Ubuntu, but proceeded as normal with Windows 7.
I checked that there were no left over items, created a system restore point and tried again to reinstall with Wubi

Again, I received the same message.

I tried to use System Restore rather than uninstall Ubuntu and noticed that the Recovery folder now stated:

There is not enough space to restore the disk.

I then did a Disk Cleanup – as a (novice’s) way of trying to see if the System Restore Recovery folder would have free space! – and rebooted
The following message appeared:

Windows Boot Manager
Windows failed to start. A recent hardware or software chance might be the cause. To fix the problem:
1. Insert your windows installation disc and restart your computer.
2. Choose your language settings and click "Next."
3. Click "repair your computer."

The boot selection failed because a required device is inaccessible.

Ubuntu now appeared twice.

I choose Windows 7 and then uninstalled Ubuntu again – (having decided to sort out the System Restore Recovery folder mystery later on).

On checking for remaining files I found that the file mentioned was still present on C drive.
However, while looking for it, knowing I had 420Gb free space, I was alarmed to see the amount was now reduced to 402GB.
Interesting, as the install for Wubi was allocated 18GB.

Following another reboot which offered Windows 7 and 2 Ubuntu options, I am left with the following questions:

What did I do wrong?
What do I do about the Wubi installation error message (a)?
How can I recover lost disk space?
How do I remove the 2 Ubuntu options from bootup?
If I chose to install by USB – could I use an 8GB one and still be able to add other documents, picture etc to it?

In replying, please remember that I am a novice.

Thank you

Click Here!