A message for Linux.com registered users: We are in the process of making changes to the Linux forums. Starting Monday, 8/13/18 at 6:00 PM PT, you will be unable to access the forums. They will re-launch as soon as possible on Wednesday, 8/15/18 with new features and improved functionality. Thank you for your patience and stay tuned for the new improved forums.
Setting up email server in Ubuntu Server 12.10
I am trying to set up an email server in Ubuntu Server 12.10 . Could you please assist me? Here is what I did.
1. Installed postfix and dovecot
sudo apt-get install postfix dovecot
2. Configured /etc/postfix/main.cf such that hostname = mail and mydestination = example.com
3. Configured /etc/dovecot/dovecot.cf such that allow_plaintext_authentication = yes and mail_location=mbox:~/main:INBOX=/var/mail/%u
4. Changed file permissions such that all permisisons are granted for /var/mail and /var/mail/* using sudo chmod 777 /var/mail and sudo chmod 777 /var/mail/*
5. Restarted postfix and dovecot by using:
sudo postfix stop
sudo postfix start
sudo service dovecot stop
sudo service dovecot start
6. Created users using:
8. Used telnet to test POP3 server.
telnet localhost 110
I get an internal error at step 8 of users other than the administrator. When I followed these steps only the administrator account is able to authenticate, send and receive emails. That also was possible after step 4. I had to do step 4 because the /var/log/mail.err indicated problems accessing the file system. I was also able to configure an email client to send and receive emails from email@example.com.