Linux.com

Home Linux Community Forums New to Linux Getting Started with Linux have a dell inspiron 8600 with intel mobile cpu -- need a distro that runs

have a dell inspiron 8600 with intel mobile cpu -- need a distro that runs

Link to this post 14 Sep 13

arochester said:

Look at this: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/PAE

Linux Mint is derived from Ubuntu.

A number of older Pentium M processors produced around 2003-4 (the ones with 400 MHz front side bus) do not display the PAE flag, and hence a standard installation fails. However, these processors are in fact able to run the latest (and PAE-demanding) kernels if only the installation process is modified a little.

excellent!! thanks for this. the link was extremely helpful. so much i have printed it for posterity.

also, i did install antiX. love it. so far a very user friendly disto of debian. still gathering operations info and "playing" with it. thanks for the recommendation elptuxman.

cheers

Link to this post 15 Sep 13

elptuxman said:

I've had good luck using both UberStudent and Antix. Look for the isos. Could send DVD with either.
Alan

Link to this post 15 Sep 13

AntiX packs quite a punch for an 'old pc' distro. Glad it helped you with your hardware

Who we are ?

The Linux Foundation is a non-profit consortium dedicated to the growth of Linux.

More About the foundation...

Frequent Questions

Join / Linux Training / Board