Linux.com

New Linux

Link to this post 01 Mar 12

Hello Everyone.

I am new to Linux, I did play with what was called Lindows many years ago and not really dug deep into it until in the last six months which I did use Ubuntu 11.10 and now using CentOs 6.2. I in April got my associate degree in networking and now working on my bachelors degree and I have found out a lot of schools just simply do not teach Linux just mainly Windows. I am looking for a job and coming across that want people to know a lot of Linux mainly Red Hat and be certified in it. Someone told me that CentOS 6.2 is like Red Hat. The question I have can I learn from using CentOS and still be able to pass the Red Hat certifications using this OS? How similar is CentOS and Red Hat? Or should I learn a different OS to. Let me know what you think.

Dale

Link to this post 02 Mar 12

Centos IS RedHat, or should I say, it is created by recompiling the RedHat source code. Except for proprietary images, and possibly a few tweaks that the developers feel necessary, it is in effect the same as using RedHat.

If you're using Centos to study for a RedHat certification, you'll be doing what many have done before you. Have fun.

Link to this post 02 Mar 12

Hello

Thanks for the response that is all I need to know. Thanks again.

Dale Henderson

Link to this post 03 Mar 12

Hi, I'm doing a similar thing as the OP.

My question is how do I wipe my old hard drive before I install Linux?

I am not worried about any data on the hard drive and am running Linux from a pen-drive as I type.

Laptop has factory vista on it.

During the install process you will be given options for repartitioning and formatting of your hard drive. You don't need to do it before the install.

Oh. How cool is that!

Thank you, your awesome!

Who we are ?

The Linux Foundation is a non-profit consortium dedicated to the growth of Linux.

More About the foundation...

Frequent Questions

Join / Linux Training / Board