• Last Logged In: 24 Jun 10

Latest Posts

Posted by
Topic
Post Preview
Posted
  • fedev
    RE: How to create folder name same as text file
    what I wrote will work if you are running the command from the terminal and you are in the same folder as your test.txt file. Obviously the code could be used in a script and then you could pass some parameters to it (such as the location of the test.txt file). Also the command I wrote is to create a single level directory. So if you want to create two or more levels, it should be like this: [code] cat test.txt | xargs -I {} mkdir -p {} [/code] And if you want to make it a script, then it should be as: [code] #!/bin/bash if [[ $# -ne 1 ]] then echo "This command requires one argument, the location of the test.txt file" exit 1 fi cat "$1" | xargs -I {} mkdir -p {} [/code] It could still be improved a lot but at least will give you an idea of where to start. And, talking about where to start, it would be a good idea to check the following link out. [url=http://tldp.org/LDP/abs/html/]Advance Bash Scripting Guide[/url]
    Link to this post 24 Jun 10

what I wrote will work if you are running the command from the terminal and you are in the same folder as your test.txt file. Obviously the code could be used in a script and then you could pass some parameters to it (such as the location of the test.txt file). Also the command I wrote is to create a single level directory. So if you want to create two or more levels, it should be like this:

cat test.txt | xargs -I {} mkdir -p {}

And if you want to make it a script, then it should be as:

#!/bin/bash
    if [[ $# -ne 1 ]]
    then
    echo "This command requires one argument, the location of the test.txt file"
    exit 1
    fi

cat "$1" | xargs -I {} mkdir -p {}

It could still be improved a lot but at least will give you an idea of where to start.

And, talking about where to start, it would be a good idea to check the following link out.

Advance Bash Scripting Guide

• fedev
    RE: How to create folder name same as text file
    Let's see if I understand. You have a file, let's say test.txt which has many lines, each line is the name of a folder to be created. Then you would do something like: [code]cat test.txt | xargs -I{} mkdir {}[/code] to create the folders? Is that what you want?
    Link to this post 23 Jun 10

Let's see if I understand.

You have a file, let's say test.txt which has many lines, each line is the name of a folder to be created. Then you would do something like:

cat test.txt | xargs -I{} mkdir {}

to create the folders? Is that what you want?

• fedev
    RE: wifi on openSUSE
    I have a USB Wireless Adapter from D-Link which has that chipset but I'm using Ralink's driver which work under linux with no need of ndiswrapper. The output of lsusb is: Bus 001 Device 002: ID 07d1:3c09 D-Link System DWA-140 802.11n Adapter [ralink rt2870] what I had to do was to blacklist the rt2800usb module, it worked after that. BTW, running on OpenSUSE 11.2
    Link to this post 20 Apr 10

I have a USB Wireless Adapter from D-Link which has that chipset but I'm using Ralink's driver which work under linux with no need of ndiswrapper. The output of lsusb is:

Bus 001 Device 002: ID 07d1:3c09 D-Link System DWA-140 802.11n Adapter [ralink rt2870]

what I had to do was to blacklist the rt2800usb module, it worked after that.

BTW, running on OpenSUSE 11.2

• fedev
    RE: Can't boot to Vista.
    For what I can see, you must have accidentally overwritten the partition which contained Vista.
    Link to this post 30 Dec 09

For what I can see, you must have accidentally overwritten the partition which contained Vista.

• fedev
    RE: document management system
    Have a look at alfresco. I think it is very complete.
    Link to this post 30 Dec 09

Have a look at alfresco. I think it is very complete.

• fedev
    RE: new user cannot get sd card mounted
    I got a similar issue, it might be yours as well. In my case the card was detected when inserted but it did not mount automatically (Issuing mount /dev/mmcblk0 /media/mountpoint worked). What I realized then was that even when GNOME was not mounting it, it was detecting it and making it available on nautilus. Accessing the card from nautilus mounted the card and added the desktop shortcut right away. Fede
    Link to this post 21 Dec 09

I got a similar issue, it might be yours as well. In my case the card was detected when inserted but it did not mount automatically (Issuing mount /dev/mmcblk0 /media/mountpoint worked). What I realized then was that even when GNOME was not mounting it, it was detecting it and making it available on nautilus. Accessing the card from nautilus mounted the card and added the desktop shortcut right away.

Fede

• fedev
    LDAP Cached Authentication
    Hi there! Ever since I got LDAP to work I've been wondering which is the right way to authenticate laptop users when they can't reach the LDAP server. I tried a few pam modules such as pam_ccreds and a procedure which involves nss-updatedb and modifying libnss-db. More details can be found [url=https://help.ubuntu.com/community/PamCcredsHowto]here[/url]. That didn't work, but I also read that nss-updatedb is not such a good idea as it downloads the necessary authentication information for all users and not just for those with recent successful authentication. Thus generating a big amount of network traffic. Which is the right way to go? Is it otherwise impossible to use a laptop with LDAP? I would prefer if I don't have to create a local username on every laptop. Thanks! Fede PS: Using OpenSUSE but I believe it doesn't really make much difference in this case
    Link to this post 14 Dec 09

Hi there!

Ever since I got LDAP to work I've been wondering which is the right way to authenticate laptop users when they can't reach the LDAP server.

I tried a few pam modules such as pam_ccreds and a procedure which involves nss-updatedb and modifying libnss-db. More details can be found here.

That didn't work, but I also read that nss-updatedb is not such a good idea as it downloads the necessary authentication information for all users and not just for those with recent successful authentication. Thus generating a big amount of network traffic.

Which is the right way to go? Is it otherwise impossible to use a laptop with LDAP? I would prefer if I don't have to create a local username on every laptop.

Thanks!

Fede

PS: Using OpenSUSE but I believe it doesn't really make much difference in this case

• fedev
    RE: Harddrive testing
    Have you tried to remove the boot flag to see if it goes back to work? If what you want to do is write things to the disk to see if there was any error you could use dd and send random input to the disk. But that is not of course a test that will produce a nice report telling you if you have any problems and you will likely ruin whatever is on the disk. I think there is an utility called TestDisk that could do better. This takes me to the following question. Isn't the PMP using part of the disk for its own files? If so, I don't think you can test the disk unless you remove it from the PMP and attach it to a computer. Otherwise the best you get is to test the partition the PMP is allowing you to use as a HDD. If you open it and attach it to a computer for sure will void the warranty, but you might have a chance at repairing it on your own. Check on the net to see if the Cowon A3 OS can somehow be re-installed.
    Link to this post 01 Oct 09

Have you tried to remove the boot flag to see if it goes back to work?

If what you want to do is write things to the disk to see if there was any error you could use dd and send random input to the disk. But that is not of course a test that will produce a nice report telling you if you have any problems and you will likely ruin whatever is on the disk. I think there is an utility called TestDisk that could do better. This takes me to the following question.

Isn't the PMP using part of the disk for its own files? If so, I don't think you can test the disk unless you remove it from the PMP and attach it to a computer. Otherwise the best you get is to test the partition the PMP is allowing you to use as a HDD.

If you open it and attach it to a computer for sure will void the warranty, but you might have a chance at repairing it on your own. Check on the net to see if the Cowon A3 OS can somehow be re-installed.

• fedev
    RE: Icon Sidebar?
    I think what you are looking for is Avant Window Navigator (AWN). Which is an icon panel similar to that of a MAC.
    Link to this post 18 Sep 09

I think what you are looking for is Avant Window Navigator (AWN). Which is an icon panel similar to that of a MAC.

Who we are ?

The Linux Foundation is a non-profit consortium dedicated to the growth of Linux.

More About the foundation...

Frequent Questions

Join / Linux Training / Board