Posted
  • BarryM
    RE: Understanding the disk utility
    Thanks lads!
    Link to this post 25 Apr 10

Thanks lads!

• BarryM
    Understanding the disk utility
    I'm just looking for a little clarification of what I'm looking at on my disk utility so I can be sure I'm utilising all of my HDD. My machine has a 320 GB HDD and came preloaded with Windows Vista. The HDD was divided into two partitions but they didn't quite add up to 320GB. There seemed to be a bit of swap space etc. I've now loaded Linux Mint and it's a dual boot system but I'm looking at the disk utility and I can't quite understand what I'm looking at. I can see 103GB dedicated to Vista. Then there's a 153 GB Extended partition (whatever that means?) which contains three further logical partitions - I don't quite understand what they are either? - I'm guessing that they're just further partitions within this so called 'Extended partition'. They are: DATA - 64GB NTFS which I'm assuming is something to do with Vista. However, I think any data on windows is saved in the same partition as the OS is loaded. Then there's 85GB Linux Ext4 - OK this must be where Linux is installed 3.7GB Swap space - is this only to do with Vista or does Linux use it too? Finally, there is a 64GB partition of the HDD free (Unallocated Space). Is this something I can format as Ext4 and use for data storage or would I be better off deleting it and increasing the size of the current 85GB Linux is installed on? I'm new to Linux and would like to think I'll be using it exclusively in no time but I'm just hedging my bets by keeping it dual boot for now. Can anyone enlighten me and give me a bit of advice please? [img size=800]http://www.linux.com/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/Screenshot_Palimpsest_Disk_Utility_1.png[/img]
    Link to this post 22 Apr 10

I'm just looking for a little clarification of what I'm looking at on my disk utility so I can be sure I'm utilising all of my HDD.
    My machine has a 320 GB HDD and came preloaded with Windows Vista. The HDD was divided into two partitions but they didn't quite add up to 320GB. There seemed to be a bit of swap space etc.
    I've now loaded Linux Mint and it's a dual boot system but I'm looking at the disk utility and I can't quite understand what I'm looking at.
    I can see 103GB dedicated to Vista.
    Then there's a 153 GB Extended partition (whatever that means?) which contains three further logical partitions - I don't quite understand what they are either? - I'm guessing that they're just further partitions within this so called 'Extended partition'.
    They are:
    DATA - 64GB NTFS which I'm assuming is something to do with Vista. However, I think any data on windows is saved in the same partition as the OS is loaded.
    Then there's 85GB Linux Ext4 - OK this must be where Linux is installed
    3.7GB Swap space - is this only to do with Vista or does Linux use it too?
    Finally, there is a 64GB partition of the HDD free (Unallocated Space). Is this something I can format as Ext4 and use for data storage or would I be better off deleting it and increasing the size of the current 85GB Linux is installed on?
    I'm new to Linux and would like to think I'll be using it exclusively in no time but I'm just hedging my bets by keeping it dual boot for now.
    Can anyone enlighten me and give me a bit of advice please?

• BarryM
    RE: display divided by six???
    SUCCESS!!!:cheer: Thanks Karma! I've been struggling with this for so long. I really wanted to move over to Linux - any distro that would work - but I've been struggling for months to get full capabilities out of it. I really was beginning to resign myself to using a limited Linux or eventually using more and more of MS. I'm so happy I'm off to donate €100 to the Linux project. Excellent community & fantastic looking, and from my experience so far, extremely functional OS. Thanks again!
    Link to this post 14 Apr 10

SUCCESS!!!:cheer:
    Thanks Karma! I've been struggling with this for so long. I really wanted to move over to Linux - any distro that would work - but I've been struggling for months to get full capabilities out of it. I really was beginning to resign myself to using a limited Linux or eventually using more and more of MS.
    I'm so happy I'm off to donate €100 to the Linux project.
    Excellent community & fantastic looking, and from my experience so far, extremely functional OS.

Thanks again!

• BarryM
    Thanks Karma, Still haven't got a solution yet but I'm off to check out what I can get out of your last post... I'll let you know how I get on.
    Link to this post 09 Apr 10

Thanks Karma, Still haven't got a solution yet but I'm off to check out what I can get out of your last post... I'll let you know how I get on.

• BarryM
    RE: problem with nvidia card & 15.6" display
    Sorry, the link wasn't working either - here it is: http://www.linux.com/community/forums?func=view&catid=8&id=4906
    Link to this post 08 Apr 10

Sorry, the link wasn't working either - here it is:

http://www.linux.com/community/forums?func=view&catid=8&id=4906

• BarryM
    RE: problem with nvidia card & 15.6" display
    I just noticed that my original post doesn't seem to be displayed to here we go again: Basically, I think my graphics card and driver are working correctly but they're having trouble working with my display. It's a 15.6" HD LED on an ASUS K501N and when I enable the drivers for my graphics card my display is divided into 6 sections. The nVidia control panel doesn't seem to be able to correctly detect the monitor or accept the resolution if I manually input the figures. click this thread to see more details: www.linux.com/community/forums?func=view...;catid=8&id=4906 Any help or hints anyone can offer would be very much appreciated
    Link to this post 08 Apr 10

I just noticed that my original post doesn't seem to be displayed to here we go again:

Basically, I think my graphics card and driver are working correctly but they're having
    trouble working with my display. It's a 15.6" HD LED on an ASUS K501N and when I
    enable the drivers for my graphics card my display is divided into 6 sections. The
    nVidia control panel doesn't seem to be able to correctly detect the monitor or accept
    the resolution if I manually input the figures.

click this thread to see more details:
    www.linux.com/community/forums?func=view...;catid=8&id=4906

Any help or hints anyone can offer would be very much appreciated

• BarryM
    problem with nvidia card & 15.6" display
    Hi, Please check out the following thread to get full details of my issue: http://www.linux.com/community/forums?func=view&catid=8&id=4906 Basically, I think my graphics card and driver are working correctly but they're having trouble working with my display. It's a 15.6" HD LED on an ASUS K501N and when I enable the drivers for my graphics card my display is divided into 6 sections. The nVidia control panel doesn't seem to be able to correctly detect the monitor or accept the resolution if I manually input the figures. This means I've got no 3-D capabilities and MS Wombles looks better at the moment Anyone got any idea how I can resolve this issue - I'm new to linux and want to banish MS for good.
    Link to this post 03 Apr 10

Hi, Please check out the following thread to get full details of my issue:
    http://www.linux.com/community/forums?func=view&catid=8&id=4906

Basically, I think my graphics card and driver are working correctly but they're having trouble working with my display. It's a 15.6" HD LED on an ASUS K501N and when I enable the drivers for my graphics card my display is divided into 6 sections. The nVidia control panel doesn't seem to be able to correctly detect the monitor or accept the resolution if I manually input the figures.
    This means I've got no 3-D capabilities and MS Wombles looks better at the moment
    Anyone got any idea how I can resolve this issue - I'm new to linux and want to banish MS for good.

• BarryM
    . [img size=640]http://www.linux.com/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/Screenshot__2.gif[/img]
    Link to this post 25 Mar 10

• BarryM
    OK Karma, I've tried what you've suggested and was able to manually input the screen resolution (1366x768 as it narmally runs in MS) . This gives a strange result - the resolution seems to change alright but the screen is still divided into six. This means that instead of viewing the whole desktop in any of the six segments, I can only see a smaller portion of the desktop and by moving my mouse to the edge I can pan around the desktop. I think this is progress to a degree because it would suggest that my video card and drivers are capable of doing what I need. I still think there is an issue with how it's all interacting with my monitor. As I've mentioned earlier, it's a 15.6" HD LED screen and at 1366x768 resolution it's not too common. I can't seem to find out anything about how linux is recognising the screen. Any ideas how I can investigate this? I've attached two more screenshots including an error message that appeared when I tried to apply the changes suggested by Karma. Thanks a million btw guys. I feel I'm making some progress with this now - even if it IS a bit slow. [img size=640]http://www.linux.com/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/Screenshot_1-e3d0639a45b0c55eb096e33e265763da.png[/img]
    Link to this post 25 Mar 10

OK Karma, I've tried what you've suggested and was able to manually input the screen resolution (1366x768 as it narmally runs in MS) . This gives a strange result - the resolution seems to change alright but the screen is still divided into six. This means that instead of viewing the whole desktop in any of the six segments, I can only see a smaller portion of the desktop and by moving my mouse to the edge I can pan around the desktop.
    I think this is progress to a degree because it would suggest that my video card and drivers are capable of doing what I need. I still think there is an issue with how it's all interacting with my monitor. As I've mentioned earlier, it's a 15.6" HD LED screen and at 1366x768 resolution it's not too common. I can't seem to find out anything about how linux is recognising the screen. Any ideas how I can investigate this?
    I've attached two more screenshots including an error message that appeared when I tried to apply the changes suggested by Karma.
    Thanks a million btw guys. I feel I'm making some progress with this now - even if it IS a bit slow.

• BarryM
    I've taken some screenshots in case it might help. screenshot-2 shows that my display is only being detected as 640x480 and screenshot-4 shows that I've got drivers installed for a Nvidia GeForce G102M and that is the card that I've got installed. These shots were taken with the nVidia drivers installed but don't show how the whole screen is divided up. [file name=Screenshot_4.png size=97515]http://www.linux.com/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/files/Screenshot_4.png[/file] [img size=640]http://www.linux.com/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/Screenshot_2.png[/img]
    Link to this post 21 Mar 10

I've taken some screenshots in case it might help. screenshot-2 shows that my display is only being detected as 640x480 and screenshot-4 shows that I've got drivers installed for a Nvidia GeForce G102M and that is the card that I've got installed.
    These shots were taken with the nVidia drivers installed but don't show how the whole screen is divided up. [file name=Screenshot_4.png size=97515]http://www.linux.com/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/files/Screenshot_4.png[/file]

Who we are ?

The Linux Foundation is a non-profit consortium dedicated to the growth of Linux.

More About the foundation...

Frequent Questions

Join / Linux Training / Board