• Last Logged In: 30 Nov 09

Latest Posts

Posted by
Topic
Post Preview
Posted
  • Maximenya
    Plz help w/ file formats for dual boot Win7-Ubuntu
    Hi, I'm new to Linux and I decided to dual boot W7 and Ubuntu. I already installed and set up my W7 and made a spare partition for Linux (also have 3rd partition for files) and i made them all NTFS (by default so to speak, besides when i tried linux out i think it worked fine under NTFS as well). But now im not so sure... so here are my questions: - How should I set up my dual boot file formats? Which ones should I use (NTFS, ext3, ext4...)? Same for all partitions or different for each system? I think thats all.. if you need more info plz ask.. Thx in advance! P.S. Just decided to wipe my 32 bit OS and install 64 bit... so yea... Another P.S. Just to confirm... like i said i made 3 partitions 1-primary (for windows), 2-primary (for linux), 3-logical (for files)... did i do everything right? i mean the primary-logical part?
    Link to this post 27 Nov 09

Hi,
    I'm new to Linux and I decided to dual boot W7 and Ubuntu. I already installed and set up my W7 and made a spare partition for Linux (also have 3rd partition for files) and i made them all NTFS (by default so to speak, besides when i tried linux out i think it worked fine under NTFS as well).
    But now im not so sure... so here are my questions:
    - How should I set up my dual boot file formats? Which ones should I use (NTFS, ext3, ext4...)? Same for all partitions or different for each system?
    I think thats all.. if you need more info plz ask..

Thx in advance!

P.S. Just decided to wipe my 32 bit OS and install 64 bit... so yea...
    Another P.S. Just to confirm... like i said i made 3 partitions 1-primary (for windows), 2-primary (for linux), 3-logical (for files)... did i do everything right? i mean the primary-logical part?

• Maximenya
    RE: Need help choosing Linux distro
    Oh ok, once again thank you for all the help... i think i got all the questions that were bugging me, answered... Gonna go w/ Ubuntu.. 10 days left:)
    Link to this post 21 Oct 09

Oh ok, once again thank you for all the help... i think i got all the questions that were bugging me, answered...

Gonna go w/ Ubuntu.. 10 days left:)

• Maximenya
    I see... thx for the help. Btw I read somewhere that some programs dont run on 64-bit OS... would it be better for me to install a regular 32-bit OS?
    Link to this post 21 Oct 09

I see... thx for the help.

Btw I read somewhere that some programs dont run on 64-bit OS... would it be better for me to install a regular 32-bit OS?

• Maximenya
    Thx alot for all the help. :) I'll be waiting for your post. :P
    Link to this post 20 Oct 09

Thx alot for all the help. :)
    I'll be waiting for your post. :P

• Maximenya
    Ok, but since i dont know the difference between GNOME and KDE, could you tell me what makes UE desktop look the way it does (3D, window spinning, etc.)? And also since i dont know Linux programs and terminology, when ill download all those programs, packages, etc., will there be a description/review/screenshots or something that will help me make a choice? Because as far as I understand when you download additional features to your OS there will just be a list of files... kind of like in FTP and that would be a pain if you dont know what any of it does....
    Link to this post 20 Oct 09

Ok, but since i dont know the difference between GNOME and KDE, could you tell me what makes UE desktop look the way it does (3D, window spinning, etc.)?
    And also since i dont know Linux programs and terminology, when ill download all those programs, packages, etc., will there be a description/review/screenshots or something that will help me make a choice? Because as far as I understand when you download additional features to your OS there will just be a list of files... kind of like in FTP and that would be a pain if you dont know what any of it does....

• Maximenya
    Thank you for a detailed reply. So as far as I understand I can make a regular Ubuntu look like Ultimate Edition by downloading needed themes and software from openSource? The difference between them is that UE has everything pre-installed? Well as for a distro I guess im gonna stick with Ubuntu. I have but one question... which GUI should i pick? GNOME or KDE? As far as i understand Ubuntu is GNOME and KDE GUI is Kubuntu... so which is to choose? I dont have any knowledge of Linux soft so their soft difference probably doesnt matter to me...
    Link to this post 19 Oct 09

Thank you for a detailed reply. So as far as I understand I can make a regular Ubuntu look like Ultimate Edition by downloading needed themes and software from openSource? The difference between them is that UE has everything pre-installed?

Well as for a distro I guess im gonna stick with Ubuntu.

I have but one question... which GUI should i pick? GNOME or KDE? As far as i understand Ubuntu is GNOME and KDE GUI is Kubuntu... so which is to choose? I dont have any knowledge of Linux soft so their soft difference probably doesnt matter to me...

• Maximenya
    Thx.. I will check out the forum again. Btw.. Im checking out Ubuntu at the moment, and i seem to like the way it looks ( for example Ubuntu Ultimate - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vLUXjXo7MuU&feature=player_embedded ) am I correct to think that its the version you can download from ubuntu.com? I mean... will ubuntu 9.10 be similar? Also... what i might have forgot to mention... im looking for a GUI distro and yet im still interested in console distros ( like Slackware ) since i would like to get to know my system and be able to run deep level functions ( phrase stolen from Choosing a distro: Pros and Cons from real users :laugh: ), and im also looking for good compatability with windows applications, formats, games, ext.

Thx..
    I will check out the forum again.

Btw.. Im checking out Ubuntu at the moment, and i seem to like the way it looks ( for example Ubuntu Ultimate - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vLUXjXo7MuU&feature=player_embedded ) am I correct to think that its the version you can download from ubuntu.com? I mean... will ubuntu 9.10 be similar?

Also... what i might have forgot to mention... im looking for a GUI distro and yet im still interested in console distros ( like Slackware ) since i would like to get to know my system and be able to run deep level functions ( phrase stolen from Choosing a distro: Pros and Cons from real users :laugh: ), and im also looking for good compatability with windows applications, formats, games, ext.

• Maximenya
    Need help choosing Linux distro
    Hi Everyone, I wanted to try out Linux for a while now, but alot of things have been stopping me. And since im about to uninstall my Windows XP and get Windows 7 I finally decided to get myself together and try out one of the Linux distros. The most crucial thing that stopped me from installing Linux before was that it has alot of distros to choose from and I dont know which one to choose and I didnt want to waist time trying all of them out. So here I am asking you guys to help me choose :laugh: P.S. Ive never seen Linux in my life... always worked with Windows.. Oh there is one more thing that bugs me... Im afraid that if im gonna run Linux I wont be able to use programs I used on Windows or play games like Lineage 2, Wow, CS, or the new Aion MMORPG... or will meet incompatible file formats... well u understand where im comming from... Another P.S. I have read the thread "Choosing a distro: Pros and Cons from real users" it didnt help much im not familiar what GNOME or LAMP is soo.. dont bother attaching a link :P Thanks in advance, if you need more detail ill gladly answer any question :)

Hi Everyone,
    I wanted to try out Linux for a while now, but alot of things have been stopping me. And since im about to uninstall my Windows XP and get Windows 7 I finally decided to get myself together and try out one of the Linux distros.
    The most crucial thing that stopped me from installing Linux before was that it has alot of distros to choose from and I dont know which one to choose and I didnt want to waist time trying all of them out. So here I am asking you guys to help me choose :laugh:

P.S. Ive never seen Linux in my life... always worked with Windows..
    Oh there is one more thing that bugs me... Im afraid that if im gonna run Linux I wont be able to use programs I used on Windows or play games like Lineage 2, Wow, CS, or the new Aion MMORPG... or will meet incompatible file formats... well u understand where im comming from...

Another P.S. I have read the thread "Choosing a distro: Pros and Cons from real users" it didnt help much im not familiar what GNOME or LAMP is soo.. dont bother attaching a link :P

Thanks in advance, if you need more detail ill gladly answer any question :)

Who we are ?

The Linux Foundation is a non-profit consortium dedicated to the growth of Linux.

More About the foundation...

Frequent Questions

Join / Linux Training / Board