• Last Logged In: 25 Aug 10

Latest Posts

Posted by
Topic
Post Preview
Posted
  • Toast2120
    RE: Choosing a distro: Pros and Cons from real users
    Yeah I think Linux Mint is a great way to start for any new user. Comes with all sorts of packages pre-installed, with most video and sound working right out of the box. The control center is a basic one stop for most things that basic users need to worry about, ex video sound users passwords desktops menus on and on.
    Link to this post 18 May 10

Yeah I think Linux Mint is a great way to start for any new user. Comes with all sorts of packages pre-installed, with most video and sound working right out of the box.

The control center is a basic one stop for most things that basic users need to worry about, ex video sound users passwords desktops menus on and on.

• Toast2120
    uninstall video drivers
    Hi, I recently install video drivers on my Ubuntu 9.10. However, they were bad drivers, and thus do not work. How do I uninstall bad drivers or check them? I know there are many locations that they do exist but should I delete the folders? That seems like a bad idea. Here is my xorg.conf [code]Section "Screen" Identifier "Default Screen" DefaultDepth 24 EndSection Section "Module" Load "glx" EndSection Section "Device" Identifier "Default Device" Driver "nvidia" Option "NoLogo" "True" EndSection[/code] and the xorg.conf failsafe [code]Section "Device" Identifier "Configured Video Device" Driver "vesa" EndSection Section "Monitor" Identifier "Configured Monitor" EndSection Section "Screen" Identifier "Default Screen" Monitor "Configured Monitor" Device "Configured Video Device" EndSection[/code] The xorg.conf-backup-100512115642 is the same as xorg.conf. Drivers are obviously installed but not working. My system is athlon 4200 2 8800 GTS 512 SLI 2 GB RAM Best course of action?
    Link to this post 18 May 10

Hi, I recently install video drivers on my Ubuntu 9.10. However, they were bad drivers, and thus do not work. How do I uninstall bad drivers or check them? I know there are many locations that they do exist but should I delete the folders? That seems like a bad idea.

Here is my xorg.conf

Section "Screen"
    Identifier "Default Screen"
    DefaultDepth 24
    EndSection

Section "Module"
    Load "glx"
    EndSection

Section "Device"
    Identifier "Default Device"
    Driver "nvidia"
    Option "NoLogo" "True"
    EndSection

and the xorg.conf failsafe

Section "Device"
    Identifier "Configured Video Device"
    Driver "vesa"
    EndSection

Section "Monitor"
    Identifier "Configured Monitor"
    EndSection

Section "Screen"
    Identifier "Default Screen"
    Monitor "Configured Monitor"
    Device "Configured Video Device"
    EndSection

The xorg.conf-backup-100512115642 is the same as xorg.conf. Drivers are obviously installed but not working.

My system is
    athlon 4200
    2 8800 GTS 512 SLI
    2 GB RAM

Best course of action?

• Toast2120
    RE: sound problem
    What model laptop are you using? I can't find it. If your drivers aren't working, open the Terminal an type [i]lspci[/i] and paste it. This command is very useful as it gives an output for all devices in the system. It will give us a good idea what to install for which device.
    Link to this post 24 Nov 09

What model laptop are you using? I can't find it.

If your drivers aren't working, open the Terminal an type
    lspci

and paste it. This command is very useful as it gives an output for all devices in the system. It will give us a good idea what to install for which device.

• Toast2120
    RE: new ubuntu user seeking help with adobe flash
    Using the Synaptics Package Manager is probably the easiest way to install flash, and more importantly, a good few hundred other programs/libraries. It can also differentiate between CPUs, if need be.
    Link to this post 24 Nov 09

Using the Synaptics Package Manager is probably the easiest way to install flash, and more importantly, a good few hundred other programs/libraries.

It can also differentiate between CPUs, if need be.

Who we are ?

The Linux Foundation is a non-profit consortium dedicated to the growth of Linux.

More About the foundation...

Frequent Questions

Join / Linux Training / Board