• Last Logged In: 27 Jan 12

Latest Posts

Posted by
Topic
Post Preview
Posted
  • x64
    RE: HP printers issue.
    Though the printer is now being used on a friend's PC under Windows, but I'll try it as soon as possible. thanks in advance ;-)
    Link to this post 27 Jan 12

Though the printer is now being used on a friend's PC under Windows, but I'll try it as soon as possible.
    thanks in advance ;-)

• x64
    RE: Custom Kernel compilation to be at custom volume
    Yes, that's exactly what I want. OK, now, assume I want a kernel, with the traits similar to the one of Ubuntu, I mean all main Kernel directories put there under /, including /boot and /lib. What part in the above process I wanna do I'm omitting, or I'm doing wrong? Since it'll all be done when I know this (what am I NOT doing and what am I doing wrong). Still thanks for your helps Marc.
    Link to this post 10 Jan 12

Yes, that's exactly what I want. OK, now, assume I want a kernel, with the traits similar to the one of Ubuntu, I mean all main Kernel directories put there under /, including /boot and /lib. What part in the above process I wanna do I'm omitting, or I'm doing wrong? Since it'll all be done when I know this (what am I NOT doing and what am I doing wrong).

Still thanks for your helps Marc.

• x64
    RE: mount command in Ubuntu
    Fine! thanks. ;)
    Link to this post 09 Jan 12

Fine! thanks. ;)

• x64
    RE: Custom Kernel compilation to be at custom volume
    Well, documentations confused me a little bit. I have some new questions now: So you mean that even if I omit "make module_install" still the [b].config[/b] file applies it, right? I mean loadable modules are activated by default, as I left it to itself, so it won't actually need [b]make module_install[/b], and they WILL be installed, right? About the sda thing: I have created 4 partitions on my HDD for OS, of which 2 are Ubuntu and Kubuntu now, and the 2 others I've left, 1 for messing with and shuffling and twiddling my custom kernel compilation(s), and the otherone just to keep one stable operational kernel that I'll compile myself. Now: sda1 -> Ubuntu, sda2 -> Kubuntu, sda3 -> Stable, working Kernel, sda4 -> (extended), sda5 -> messy kernel, What I'm asking you to tell me, is the most straight forward procedure to put my kernel in /dev/sda5, just how in GUI of installation I chose my Kubuntu to go to /dev/sda2. I haven't yet tried modifying the makefile, but I wonder if there was some way, built into the makefile itself (or something like that) that makes the choice of installation directory more automated. Thanks :)

Well, documentations confused me a little bit.

I have some new questions now: So you mean that even if I omit "make module_install" still the .config file applies it, right? I mean loadable modules are activated by default, as I left it to itself, so it won't actually need make module_install, and they WILL be installed, right?

About the sda thing: I have created 4 partitions on my HDD for OS, of which 2 are Ubuntu and Kubuntu now, and the 2 others I've left, 1 for messing with and shuffling and twiddling my custom kernel compilation(s), and the otherone just to keep one stable operational kernel that I'll compile myself.

Now:
    sda1 -> Ubuntu,
    sda2 -> Kubuntu,
    sda3 -> Stable, working Kernel,
    sda4 -> (extended),
    sda5 -> messy kernel,

What I'm asking you to tell me, is the most straight forward procedure to put my kernel in /dev/sda5, just how in GUI of installation I chose my Kubuntu to go to /dev/sda2.
    I haven't yet tried modifying the makefile, but I wonder if there was some way, built into the makefile itself (or something like that) that makes the choice of installation directory more automated.

• x64
    RE: mount command in Ubuntu
    :-D , yeah, I know its obvious, but I thought maybe the drive directories in /media, like RAMFS ought to be something temporary or virtual or something, well now you're telling me its not so, thanks so much! And oh, one last question (I'm just curious so I repeat it): Therefore softwares such as file managers do automatically create and remove the directories, right? (I now know I must create the dirs myself manually, and at least once.) And no, its not related to compilation, I was just asking it for other uses. Thanks so much anyway, Marc.

:-D , yeah, I know its obvious, but I thought maybe the drive directories in /media, like RAMFS ought to be something temporary or virtual or something, well now you're telling me its not so, thanks so much!

And oh, one last question (I'm just curious so I repeat it): Therefore softwares such as file managers do automatically create and remove the directories, right? (I now know I must create the dirs myself manually, and at least once.)

And no, its not related to compilation, I was just asking it for other uses.

Thanks so much anyway, Marc.

• x64
    Custom Kernel compilation to be at custom volume
    Hi. I wanna compile a kernel myself, but haven't proceeded yet. I've just used menuconfig to save the default ".config" file :-D . As I know, I must now run: [code] make make module_install make install [/code] (The Kernel is 3.1.8, obviously from kernel.org) Here are my questions: 1. Is the order above correct? 2. As I know, just as I run the above commands, my compilation will replace the kernel of this Ubuntu, (since it'll go to directories like /boot /etc, which are my CURRENT UBUNTU, at the time of installation), but what I want and have meant to do, is to install it to my /dev/sda5. How may I do this? 3. And then an [b]update-grub[/b] from here in Ubuntu should add the kernel to boot list, yet keeping this Ubuntu's GRUB/MBR config, right? thanks so much for you helps.

Hi.
    I wanna compile a kernel myself, but haven't proceeded yet.

I've just used menuconfig to save the default ".config" file :-D . As I know, I must now run:

make
    make module_install
    make install

(The Kernel is 3.1.8, obviously from kernel.org)

Here are my questions:
    1. Is the order above correct?
    2. As I know, just as I run the above commands, my compilation will replace the kernel of this Ubuntu, (since it'll go to directories like /boot /etc, which are my CURRENT UBUNTU, at the time of installation), but what I want and have meant to do, is to install it to my /dev/sda5. How may I do this?
    3. And then an update-grub from here in Ubuntu should add the kernel to boot list, yet keeping this Ubuntu's GRUB/MBR config, right?

thanks so much for you helps.

Who we are ?

The Linux Foundation is a non-profit consortium dedicated to the growth of Linux.

More About the foundation...

Frequent Questions

Join / Linux Training / Board