• Last Logged In: 22 Mar 11

Latest Posts

Posted by
Topic
Post Preview
Posted
  • astromech_kuhns
    RE: HELP!
    Also, if nothing works, you could always repair the boot with a windows 7 CD. more info will be needed to help you out, but if there is a problem with the ubuntu installation and its non recoverable, you can use Gparted or your win7 disc to delete the ubuntu partition and then put in win7 disc and hit repair recovery. you could then do a WUBI install or retry a dual boot. that is, if the ubuntu system is non recoverable. although, possibly just a MBR problem. if it wasnt installed properly.
    Link to this post 05 Jan 11

Also, if nothing works, you could always repair the boot with a windows 7 CD. more info will be needed to help you out, but if there is a problem with the ubuntu installation and its non recoverable, you can use Gparted or your win7 disc to delete the ubuntu partition and then put in win7 disc and hit repair recovery. you could then do a WUBI install or retry a dual boot. that is, if the ubuntu system is non recoverable. although, possibly just a MBR problem. if it wasnt installed properly.

• astromech_kuhns
    RE: ubuntu server edition
    it did not show up on ubuntu network. i could not view the file system it contained. and no i like the non GUI interface. i can use the terminal fairly well. i would like the server to be able to store files and backups of all the computers. basically being a external hard drive. just store things for our computers to access, or even share. we have both ubuntu and windows computers in the household.
    Link to this post 30 Aug 10

it did not show up on ubuntu network. i could not view the file system it contained.

and no i like the non GUI interface. i can use the terminal fairly well.

i would like the server to be able to store files and backups of all the computers. basically being a external hard drive. just store things for our computers to access, or even share. we have both ubuntu and windows computers in the household.

• astromech_kuhns
    ubuntu server edition
    so i installed server addition to my extra hard drive. i used my sisters computer running ubuntu 10.04 to try to use it to store files. it did not come up on the network. when i boot into server mode it gives me a unix interface, and as such i can do anything in there. but im wondering is there more to it than that and how do i use it/get it to hook up to the network. im sure theres no Graphical Interface, as it doesnt need one, but i dont seem to have it working properly. do i have to install cloud as well? also will windows users be able to access the server? Thanks, general info on how to use it is what im looking for! Kolton Kuhns
    Link to this post 30 Aug 10

so i installed server addition to my extra hard drive. i used my sisters computer running ubuntu 10.04 to try to use it to store files.

it did not come up on the network.

when i boot into server mode it gives me a unix interface, and as such i can do anything in there. but im wondering is there more to it than that and how do i use it/get it to hook up to the network. im sure theres no Graphical Interface, as it doesnt need one, but i dont seem to have it working properly. do i have to install cloud as well?

also will windows users be able to access the server?

Thanks, general info on how to use it is what im looking for!

Kolton Kuhns

• astromech_kuhns
    RE: editing 10.04
    okay, i dint realize those were separate commands, so if i just type the name of a app into the terminal i guess it launches it? learn something new everyday. thank you, its nicer now. thanks a ton for your guys help!!
    Link to this post 09 May 10

okay, i dint realize those were separate commands, so if i just type the name of a app into the terminal i guess it launches it?

learn something new everyday.

thank you, its nicer now.

thanks a ton for your guys help!!

• astromech_kuhns
    under applications, i dont have system tools.

under applications, i dont have system tools.

• astromech_kuhns
    i installed it via terminal, but im not understanding where to go to open the program, not sure where it downloaded to....

i installed it via terminal, but im not understanding where to go to open the program, not sure where it downloaded to....

• astromech_kuhns
    editing 10.04
    ok, so i havent been connected to the Internet in a while with my desktop. i connected it and downloaded 10.04. i like it, except that the exit minimize and fill to screen are on the left side instead of the right. is there a way to change this, or a code to change this? any help, as always, greatly appreciated! Kolton Kuhns

ok, so i havent been connected to the Internet in a while with my desktop. i connected it and downloaded 10.04. i like it, except that the exit minimize and fill to screen are on the left side instead of the right. is there a way to change this, or a code to change this?

any help, as always, greatly appreciated!

Kolton Kuhns

• astromech_kuhns
    RE: getting rid of dual boot ubuntu option
    Thank you very much! works good now!
    Link to this post 23 Mar 10

Thank you very much! works good now!

• astromech_kuhns
    its labeled as read only, i just use the properties to uncheck read only and then delete the ubuntu line and save it correct? i would just try it but its not my computer so i just want to make sure. but i did find boot.ini read only is probably windows just trying to protect itself..... EDIT: whent ahead and did it. so basically it comes up to a black screen when you reboot with a cursor but doesnt display any options. i hit enter, and it booted to windows, so im guessing if i didnt do anything then it would have done its 30 second count down the booted up, but i basically selected windows when i hit enter. so which part do i need to delete next, windows under the OS list in boot.ini, or the boot loader timeout=30 and where it says the windows partition is the defualt? or do i change the timeout to 0?
    Link to this post 22 Mar 10

its labeled as read only, i just use the properties to uncheck read only and then delete the ubuntu line and save it correct? i would just try it but its not my computer so i just want to make sure. but i did find boot.ini

read only is probably windows just trying to protect itself.....

EDIT: whent ahead and did it. so basically it comes up to a black screen when you reboot with a cursor but doesnt display any options. i hit enter, and it booted to windows, so im guessing if i didnt do anything then it would have done its 30 second count down the booted up, but i basically selected windows when i hit enter. so which part do i need to delete next, windows under the OS list in boot.ini, or the boot loader timeout=30 and where it says the windows partition is the defualt? or do i change the timeout to 0?

• astromech_kuhns
    its xp that im using. so in xp how do edit the boot.ini? is it in system files then boot.ini then delete one for ubuntu? im guessing here havent actually checked it.
    Link to this post 22 Mar 10

its xp that im using.

so in xp how do edit the boot.ini? is it in system files then boot.ini then delete one for ubuntu? im guessing here havent actually checked it.

Who we are ?

The Linux Foundation is a non-profit consortium dedicated to the growth of Linux.

More About the foundation...

Frequent Questions

Join / Linux Training / Board