• Last Logged In: 21 Oct 10

Latest Posts

Posted by
Topic
Post Preview
Posted
  • neomancer
    RE: Samba share & Windows drive letter
    Ok, so from the Linux-side it looks like there's no way to restrict the drive letters assigned to samba shares. (I'm using Samba 3.2.5) On the Windows side however I tested with the following: [code] net use H: \\test\home\pickup net use /persistent:yes [/code] After executing the above commands a new Registry Key was created: [code]HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Network\H[/code] I know it won't prevent users from mounting it in whatever path they want, but at least the samba share will always get automounted in a fixed drive letter. [b]BTW, sorry if this thread is starting to look a little Windows-ish. :P[/b]... I just put the Windows commands in the hope to help someone who is asking the same question around the internetz. Thanks all for your help, I thought I could fix this from the Linux box but your replies put me in the right direction. Thanks again.
    Link to this post 10 Mar 10

Ok, so from the Linux-side it looks like there's no way to restrict the drive letters assigned to samba shares. (I'm using Samba 3.2.5)

On the Windows side however I tested with the following:

net use H: \\test\home\pickup
    net use /persistent:yes

After executing the above commands a new Registry Key was created:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Network\H

I know it won't prevent users from mounting it in whatever path they want, but at least the samba share will always get automounted in a fixed drive letter.

BTW, sorry if this thread is starting to look a little Windows-ish. :P... I just put the Windows commands in the hope to help someone who is asking the same question around the internetz.

Thanks all for your help, I thought I could fix this from the Linux box but your replies put me in the right direction.

Thanks again.

• neomancer
    Samba share & Windows drive letter
    I'm using Fedora with Samba. Is there a way to setup Samba in Linux so that every Windows machine that tries to connect to the share always gets it mounted under the same drive letter (e.g. H:)??? My Samba share (in smb.conf) /home/pickup I want that all Window users get it mounted under "H:" drive letter by default. Thanks.
    Link to this post 10 Mar 10

I'm using Fedora with Samba. Is there a way to setup Samba in Linux so that every Windows machine that tries to connect to the share always gets it mounted under the same drive letter (e.g. H:)???

My Samba share (in smb.conf)
    /home/pickup

I want that all Window users get it mounted under "H:" drive letter by default.

Thanks.

• neomancer
    RE: Good watchdog for services?
    You can try nagios...It's far away from being simple to configure but certainly is one of the best "watchdogs" out there. ~nm
    Link to this post 14 May 09

You can try nagios...It's far away from being simple to configure but certainly is one of the best "watchdogs" out there.

~nm

Who we are ?

The Linux Foundation is a non-profit consortium dedicated to the growth of Linux.

More About the foundation...

Frequent Questions

Join / Linux Training / Board