• Last Logged In: 27 Jan 10

Latest Posts

Posted by
Topic
Post Preview
Posted
  • jayvo86
    RE: ATI Radeon 4200 HD
    I had to change my card back to my NVidia 880GTS. Seems Linux isn't as friendly when it comes to ATI cards....or I guess it would be the other way around...darn ATI...
    Link to this post 28 Jan 10

I had to change my card back to my NVidia 880GTS. Seems Linux isn't as friendly when it comes to ATI cards....or I guess it would be the other way around...darn ATI...

• jayvo86
    RE: Did you SCREW your Grub? Now stuck in Grub Rescue?
    One thing I am beginning to really start to notice is, Ubuntu kind of assumes you want things a certain way. As I get deeper into linux, I'm sure I will try some more advanced distros.
    Link to this post 21 Jan 10

One thing I am beginning to really start to notice is, Ubuntu kind of assumes you want things a certain way. As I get deeper into linux, I'm sure I will try some more advanced distros.

• jayvo86
    Actually, the Live CD I used was 9.04.

Actually, the Live CD I used was 9.04.

• jayvo86
    I think my Grub was not Grub2. I did a upgrade from 9.04 to 9.1. Thanks for the follow up. -Josh

I think my Grub was not Grub2. I did a upgrade from 9.04 to 9.1. Thanks for the follow up.

-Josh

• jayvo86
    Did you SCREW your Grub? Now stuck in Grub Rescue?
    I recently totally jacked up my boot loader while doing some formatting on some other drives. I don't know how, but it took me FOREVER to find a solution that worked. If you are using Ubuntu 9.1 and or 9.04 and need to update or restore GRUB, follow these directions. It worked for me and everything is back to normal. https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Grub2#Resolving%20an%20%22Unrecognized%20Device%20String%22%20%28Error%2011%29 You will want to use the LIVE CD portion of instructions. It is easy and it works. BIG NOTE: The instructions have 2 variables listed; X and Y. The reference your hard drive such as sda1 or sdb1, etc.. X being a and Y being 1. They do not reference what you see in grub rescue. (hd0, hd0,1, etc...) SIMPLEST - Copy GRUB 2 Files from the LiveCD This is a quick and simple method of restoring a broken system's GRUB 2 files. The terminal is used for entering commands and the user must know the device name/partition of the installed system (sda1, sdb5, etc). The problem partition is located and mounted from the LiveCD. The files are then copied from the LiveCD libraries to the proper locations and MBR. It requires the least steps and fewer command line entries than the following methods. 1. Boot to the LiveCD Desktop (Ubuntu 9.10 or later). 2. Open a terminal by selecting Applications, Accessories, Terminal from the menu bar. 3. Determine the partition with the Ubuntu installation. The fdisk option "-l" is a lowercase "L". 1. sudo fdisk -l If the user isn't sure of the partition, look for one of the appropriate size or formatting. Running sudo blkid may provide more information to help locate the proper partition, especially if the partitions are labeled. The device/drive is designated by sdX, with X being the device designation. sda is the first device, sdb is the second, etc. For most users the MBR will be installed to sda, the first drive on their system. The partition is designated by the Y. The first partition is 1, the second is 2. Note the devices and partitions are counted differently. 4. Mount the partition containing the Ubuntu installation. sudo mount /dev/sdXY /mnt Example: sudo mount /dev/sda1 Note: If the user has a separate /boot partition, this must be mounted to /mnt/boot 5. Run the grub-install command as described below. This will reinstall the GRUB 2 files on the mounted partition to the proper location and to the MBR of the designated device. sudo grub-install --root-directory=/mnt/ /dev/sdX Example: sudo grub-install --root-directory=/mnt/ /dev/sda 6. Reboot 7. Refresh the GRUB 2 menu with sudo update-grub

I recently totally jacked up my boot loader while doing some formatting on some other drives. I don't know how, but it took me FOREVER to find a solution that worked.

If you are using Ubuntu 9.1 and or 9.04 and need to update or restore GRUB, follow these directions. It worked for me and everything is back to normal.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Grub2#Resolving%20an%20%22Unrecognized%20Device%20String%22%20%28Error%2011%29

You will want to use the LIVE CD portion of instructions. It is easy and it works.

BIG NOTE: The instructions have 2 variables listed; X and Y. The reference your hard drive such as sda1 or sdb1, etc.. X being a and Y being 1. They do not reference what you see in grub rescue. (hd0, hd0,1, etc...)

SIMPLEST - Copy GRUB 2 Files from the LiveCD

This is a quick and simple method of restoring a broken system's GRUB 2 files. The terminal is used for entering commands and the user must know the device name/partition of the installed system (sda1, sdb5, etc). The problem partition is located and mounted from the LiveCD. The files are then copied from the LiveCD libraries to the proper locations and MBR. It requires the least steps and fewer command line entries than the following methods.

1. Boot to the LiveCD Desktop (Ubuntu 9.10 or later).

Open a terminal by selecting Applications, Accessories, Terminal from the menu bar.

Determine the partition with the Ubuntu installation. The fdisk option "-l" is a lowercase "L".

sudo fdisk -l

If the user isn't sure of the partition, look for one of the appropriate size or formatting.

Running sudo blkid may provide more information to help locate the proper partition, especially if the partitions are labeled. The device/drive is designated by sdX, with X being the device designation. sda is the first device, sdb is the second, etc. For most users the MBR will be installed to sda, the first drive on their system. The partition is designated by the Y. The first partition is 1, the second is 2. Note the devices and partitions are counted differently.
    4. Mount the partition containing the Ubuntu installation.

sudo mount /dev/sdXY /mnt

Example: sudo mount /dev/sda1 Note: If the user has a separate /boot partition, this must be mounted to /mnt/boot

Run the grub-install command as described below. This will reinstall the GRUB 2 files on the mounted partition to the proper location and to the MBR of the designated device.

sudo grub-install --root-directory=/mnt/ /dev/sdX

Example: sudo grub-install --root-directory=/mnt/ /dev/sda
    6. Reboot

Refresh the GRUB 2 menu with sudo update-grub

• jayvo86
    FYI for your Cannon MP620B
    If anyone is or was trying to get their cannon mp620 printer to work under Ubuntu, here is the link. https://help.ubuntu.com/community/HardwareSupportComponentsPrintersCanonPrintersCanonMP620 I WAS NOT able to get my printer to work under Ubuntu 9.1. I had to install 9.04 first and then upgrade to to 9.1 later. There was an issue with libcupsy2 not installing. -Josh
    Link to this post 18 Jan 10

If anyone is or was trying to get their cannon mp620 printer to work under Ubuntu, here is the link.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/HardwareSupportComponentsPrintersCanonPrintersCanonMP620

I WAS NOT able to get my printer to work under Ubuntu 9.1. I had to install 9.04 first and then upgrade to to 9.1 later. There was an issue with libcupsy2 not installing.

-Josh

• jayvo86
    RE: Games You Play under wine ! ! !
    I've been playing Heros of the Might and Magic 5 almost flawlessly. There is a bug with the sound not loading sometimes and Heros thinking you don't have the original CD, but with a little tinkering it works fine. -Josh

I've been playing Heros of the Might and Magic 5 almost flawlessly. There is a bug with the sound not loading sometimes and Heros thinking you don't have the original CD, but with a little tinkering it works fine.

-Josh

• jayvo86
    RE: The Great KDE vs. GNOME thread.
    I think KDE looks similar to Vista. I much prefer Gnome. I can get around very easy on it and it looks (to me) a little more stripped down techy.

I think KDE looks similar to Vista. I much prefer Gnome. I can get around very easy on it and it looks (to me) a little more stripped down techy.

• jayvo86
    RE: iTunes and Linux
    I use Rythmbox for my Ipod, however I've been having issues with my Ipod Touch. There is a lot of support, but I don't think Jailbreaking works for Touch's with frimware 3.1.2. (Which is what I have.) Anyone, find out anything new?? -Josh

I use Rythmbox for my Ipod, however I've been having issues with my Ipod Touch. There is a lot of support, but I don't think Jailbreaking works for Touch's with frimware 3.1.2. (Which is what I have.)

Anyone, find out anything new??

-Josh

• jayvo86
    RE: Linux User looking for Programming School
    Thanks I will check into those.
    Link to this post 27 Dec 09

Thanks I will check into those.

Who we are ?

The Linux Foundation is a non-profit consortium dedicated to the growth of Linux.

More About the foundation...

Frequent Questions

Join / Linux Training / Board