• Last Logged In: 18 Oct 11

Latest Posts

Posted by
Topic
Post Preview
Posted
  • MichaelK
    RE: installing and using a saa7231 TV card
    Thank you very much for this information. It is sad to hear, that the manufacturer does not like Linux. So I have to look for a new TV card. But thanks again four your help. Regards, Michael
    Link to this post 06 Mar 11

Thank you very much for this information. It is sad to hear, that the manufacturer does not like Linux. So I have to look for a new TV card.
    But thanks again four your help.

Regards,

Michael

• MichaelK
    Thank you very much for this information. It is sad to hear, that the manufacturer does not like Linux. So I have to look for a new TC card. But thanks again four your help. Regards, Michael
    Link to this post 06 Mar 11

Thank you very much for this information. It is sad to hear, that the manufacturer does not like Linux. So I have to look for a new TC card.
    But thanks again four your help.

Regards,

Michael

• MichaelK
    RE: Redirect mysql server using /etc/hosts
    Hi, I have to apologize. I figured out a few days ago how to redirect the mysql server and forgot to post it here. It works exactly as jabirali wrote: [quote][code]127.0.0.1 mysql.example.org[/code][/quote] But it seems that this does not work, when I establish a VPN connection to my university network. But I have to double check this first and it is not a really problem for me, because I nearly never connect to the university and use than the mysql server. Thanks a lot for your help and sorry again for forgetting to post my solution. Best regards, Michael
    Link to this post 11 Jun 10

Hi,

I have to apologize. I figured out a few days ago how to redirect the mysql server and forgot to post it here.

It works exactly as jabirali wrote:

[code]127.0.0.1 mysql.example.org[/code]

But it seems that this does not work, when I establish a VPN connection to my university network. But I have to double check this first and it is not a really problem for me, because I nearly never connect to the university and use than the mysql server.

Thanks a lot for your help and sorry again for forgetting to post my solution.

Best regards,

Michael

• MichaelK
    RE: Redirect mysql server using /etc/hosts
    Thanks for the idea, but unfortunately this does not work. It still get an error from my apache that it cannot connect to mysql.
    Link to this post 02 Jun 10

Thanks for the idea, but unfortunately this does not work. It still get an error from my apache that it cannot connect to mysql.

• MichaelK
    RE: Version Control for website with ftp only access
    Thanks a lot for this idea. I did not know that one can mount ftp targets. I will give it a try and than report back. But the missing LOCK feature could be a big problem. We are at the moment two developer, so this could lead into troubles. The wrapper script checking for a lock-file could be a workaround here. I think I will also give this a try. The next problem I am coming to see, is that the other developer uses windows. But first I try to figure it out myself and than I try to convert him (or find a similar solution for systems without CurlFtpFS). Best regards, Michael
    Link to this post 20 May 10

Thanks a lot for this idea.
    I did not know that one can mount ftp targets. I will give it a try and than report back.
    But the missing LOCK feature could be a big problem. We are at the moment two developer, so this could lead into troubles. The wrapper script checking for a lock-file could be a workaround here. I think I will also give this a try.
    The next problem I am coming to see, is that the other developer uses windows. But first I try to figure it out myself and than I try to convert him (or find a similar solution for systems without CurlFtpFS).

Best regards,

Michael

• MichaelK
    Does anybody knows something new about the card? I still do not find anything usefull and the card is still not working. Thanks.
    Link to this post 19 May 10

Does anybody knows something new about the card? I still do not find anything usefull and the card is still not working.
    Thanks.

• MichaelK
    Version Control for website with ftp only access
    Hi, I am working with some others on a web page and we are looking for a version control system to manage the code (html, css, php, javascript) of the page. Unfortunately we have only access via ftp to the server (no ssh). So we need something that allows the normal work flow, i.e.: user A and B fetch the code, and edit it. A pushes the code, B fetches again, merges, pushes and so on... I had a look on git (which I use for my other projects) but as far as I know it does not allow a push over ftp. I had also a look at git-ftp (http://wiki.github.com/ezyang/git-ftp/) but this seems not to provide merging. Does anybody knows a way to manage files with a version control system via ftp? It's OK if its not git. Or do we need a better web hoster with ssh access? Thanks a lot and best regards, Michael
    Link to this post 19 May 10

Hi,

I am working with some others on a web page and we are looking for a version control system to manage the code (html, css, php, javascript) of the page.
    Unfortunately we have only access via ftp to the server (no ssh). So we need something that allows the normal work flow, i.e.:
    user A and B fetch the code, and edit it. A pushes the code, B fetches again, merges, pushes and so on...

I had a look on git (which I use for my other projects) but as far as I know it does not allow a push over ftp. I had also a look at git-ftp (http://wiki.github.com/ezyang/git-ftp/) but this seems not to provide merging.

Does anybody knows a way to manage files with a version control system via ftp? It's OK if its not git.
    Or do we need a better web hoster with ssh access?

Thanks a lot and best regards,

Michael

• MichaelK
    RE: Laptop freezes sometimes when Debian Lenny starts
    Hi, yesterday the problem reappeared. I used my laptop over several weeks without the docking station/port multiplier and had no problems. Yesterday I put it on the docking station and had to boot two times bevor X came up properly. Pressing CTRl+C or CTRL+Shift+Backspace did not had any effect. So any ideas out there? Thank you very much for your help. With best regards, Michael
    Link to this post 27 Mar 10

Hi,

yesterday the problem reappeared. I used my laptop over several weeks without the docking station/port multiplier and had no problems. Yesterday I put it on the docking station and had to boot two times bevor X came up properly.
    Pressing CTRl+C or CTRL+Shift+Backspace did not had any effect.

So any ideas out there?

Thank you very much for your help.

With best regards,

Michael

• MichaelK
    RE: Laptop freezes sometimes when Debian Lenny starts
    [b]Goineasy9 wrote:[/b] [quote]A black screen at that point is usually caused by a malfunctioning graphics driver. Maybe you should tell us what video card your using, and how you set up your graphics driver.[/quote] Sorry, of course I should tell you how my system looks like (just forgot that): [code] $ uname -a Linux kiwi 2.6.28-1-amd64 #1 SMP Thu Feb 19 03:12:18 UTC 2009 x86_64 GNU/Linux $ lspci [...] 00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Mobile 4 Series Chipset Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 07) 00:02.1 Display controller: Intel Corporation Mobile 4 Series Chipset Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 07) [...] [/code] I am talking about a Acer Extensa 5630 notebook. There is a second monitor (Acer AL1916) on a port multiplier. I attached my xorg.conf to this post so you can see my configuration. [b]mfillpot wrote:[/b] [quote] I am leaning towards a hardware crash because even if the graphics driver is hosing the xorg file it should roll back to the CLi, the lack of interaction capabilities is saying that something deeper is malfunctioning. Michale, Have you tried hitting Ctrl+C when if freezes to see if you can kill he running process? [/quote] I am not sure if there is some hardware crashing. As far as I can remember, the error never occured when I am running Debian without the port multiplier and the second monitor or when I ran Windows Vista (with or without second monitor). But maybe the port multiplier has a problem and Vista works for any unknown strange reason. I did not trying hitting Ctrl+c but I will do the next time the error occurs. Do you have any more ideas, I can check when the error occurs again? Unfortunately I cannot reproduce the error, I have to wait for its random occurence. Thanks a lot and best regards, Michael [file name=xorg.txt size=3630]http://www.linux.com/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/files/xorg.txt[/file]
    Link to this post 22 Feb 10

Goineasy9 wrote:

A black screen at that point is usually caused by a malfunctioning graphics driver. Maybe you should tell us what video card your using, and how you set up your graphics driver.

Sorry, of course I should tell you how my system looks like (just forgot that):

$ uname -a
    Linux kiwi 2.6.28-1-amd64 #1 SMP Thu Feb 19 03:12:18 UTC 2009 x86_64 GNU/Linux

$ lspci
    [...]
    00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Mobile 4 Series Chipset Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 07)
    00:02.1 Display controller: Intel Corporation Mobile 4 Series Chipset Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 07)
    [...]

I am talking about a Acer Extensa 5630 notebook. There is a second monitor (Acer AL1916) on a port multiplier. I attached my xorg.conf to this post so you can see my configuration.

mfillpot wrote:

I am leaning towards a hardware crash because even if the graphics driver is hosing the xorg file it should roll back to the CLi, the lack of interaction capabilities is saying that something deeper is malfunctioning.

Michale,
    Have you tried hitting Ctrl+C when if freezes to see if you can kill he running process?

I am not sure if there is some hardware crashing. As far as I can remember, the error never occured when I am running Debian without the port multiplier and the second monitor or when I ran Windows Vista (with or without second monitor). But maybe the port multiplier has a problem and Vista works for any unknown strange reason.

I did not trying hitting Ctrl+c but I will do the next time the error occurs. Do you have any more ideas, I can check when the error occurs again? Unfortunately I cannot reproduce the error, I have to wait for its random occurence.

Michael
    [file name=xorg.txt size=3630]http://www.linux.com/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/files/xorg.txt[/file]

• MichaelK
    Laptop freezes sometimes when Debian Lenny starts
    Hi, the title of this post is nearly all information I can give you. Sometimes when I boot my laptop with Debian Lenny the screen turns black when the X server starts and then the laptop freezes. No keyboard interaction works any more (e.g. I cannot kill the server or switch to any tty). I have to restart the laptop using the on/off switch and try again. Normally the second time works fine. Maybe you can give me some solutions for this error or some hinds how to debug this. I have no idea how I can track the error because everything crashes before I can do anything. If you need any more informations I can obtain from a normal (not crashed) run just let me know. Thanks a lot and best regards, Michael
    Link to this post 19 Feb 10

Hi,

the title of this post is nearly all information I can give you.
    Sometimes when I boot my laptop with Debian Lenny the screen turns black when the X server starts and then the laptop freezes. No keyboard interaction works any more (e.g. I cannot kill the server or switch to any tty). I have to restart the laptop using the on/off switch and try again. Normally the second time works fine.

Maybe you can give me some solutions for this error or some hinds how to debug this. I have no idea how I can track the error because everything crashes before I can do anything.

If you need any more informations I can obtain from a normal (not crashed) run just let me know.

Michael

Who we are ?

The Linux Foundation is a non-profit consortium dedicated to the growth of Linux.

More About the foundation...

Frequent Questions

Join / Linux Training / Board