Linux.com

Istimsak Abdulbasir

Istimsak Abdulbasir

  • Moderator
  • Posts: 449
  • Member Since: 05 Jan 10
  • Last Logged In: 18 hours ago

Latest Posts

Posted by
Topic
Post Preview
Posted
  • Istimsak Abdulbasir
    RE: How to copy files from VM to host machine ?
    [quote="begueradj"]Howdy How can copy a file from my virtual machine to my host machine ? Thank you in advance for any answer. Begueradj[/quote] You will have to install the guest add-ons to allow for copying files between the VM and the host if you are using Virtualbox. Or, you can just send yourself an email :-). What VM hypervisor are you using.
    Link to this post 10 Jul

    begueradj said:

    Howdy

    How can copy a file from my virtual machine to my host machine ?

    Thank you in advance for any answer.
    Begueradj

    You will have to install the guest add-ons to allow for copying files between the VM and the host if you are using Virtualbox. Or, you can just send yourself an email :-). What VM hypervisor are you using.

  • Istimsak Abdulbasir
    RE: changing mac adress very hard!help
    [quote="mondrago2"]hello guys, ok so ive spend cople of houers, neh allmost all day trying to change my macadress manually, im using a wifi hp probook 6560b. ok so this is what ive tryed. sudo su=xxxx sudo ifconfig wlan0 down. sudo ifconfig wlan0 hw ether 11.22.33.44.55.66 sudo ifconfig wlan0 up . ifconfig now this have changed to 11.22.33.44.55.66. when i reconect its the old hw adress agen, even ive delete the old internet conection for the ruter. now ive ben trying to go into the /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules and its the old adress, and when i then change the adress there agen to 11.22.33.44.55.66 i get this message active conection failed, so then i restarted my computer. then i go to terminal ifconfig and yeay! now we got the new conection! the wlan1 actually witch have ben added with the same old fantastic adress. so i looked up /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules agen, and there where added the wlan1, so something must have ben asked the device: is this your hw adress? no its........ ah okey il make a wlan1 with that adress. so i tryed to maby find the file that ask for the adress and maby say this is the dault, but turnd up its really hard when you dont know how to program, or even know how linux where buildt up, this will probably take years, so i thought that, why not ask the community, so here i am, so any one have any idea's? linux 14.04 LTS[/quote] There are sources of information that outline procedures for changing a MAC address in linux. To permenantly do it in Ubuntu, you much change the interface text file, /etc/network/interfaces. Here another link to add to the one above. [url=http://www.namhuy.net/1890/how-to-change-mac-address-on-ubuntu.html]Changing your mac address in ubuntu[/url]
    Link to this post 10 Jul

    mondrago2 said:

    hello guys, ok so ive spend cople of houers, neh allmost all day trying to change my macadress manually, im using a wifi hp probook 6560b.

    ok so this is what ive tryed.

    sudo su=xxxx
    sudo ifconfig wlan0 down.
    sudo ifconfig wlan0 hw ether 11.22.33.44.55.66
    sudo ifconfig wlan0 up
    .
    ifconfig
    now this have changed to 11.22.33.44.55.66.

    when i reconect its the old hw adress agen, even ive delete the old internet conection for the ruter.

    now ive ben trying to go into the /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules and its the old adress, and when i then change the adress there agen to 11.22.33.44.55.66 i get this message active conection failed, so then i restarted my computer.

    then i go to terminal ifconfig and yeay! now we got the new conection! the wlan1 actually witch have ben added with the same old fantastic adress.

    so i looked up /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules agen, and there where added the wlan1,

    so something must have ben asked the device: is this your hw adress? no its........
    ah okey il make a wlan1 with that adress.

    so i tryed to maby find the file that ask for the adress and maby say this is the dault, but turnd up its really hard when you dont know how to program, or even know how linux where buildt up, this will probably take years, so i thought that, why not ask the community, so here i am, so any one have any idea's? linux 14.04 LTS

    There are sources of information that outline procedures for changing a MAC address in linux. To permenantly do it in Ubuntu, you much change the interface text file, /etc/network/interfaces.

    Here another link to add to the one above.

    Changing your mac address in ubuntu

  • Istimsak Abdulbasir
    RE: Tried Ubuntu, seemed limited
    If you are still having sound issues, install pulse audio. Could you manually add the VST?
    Link to this post 10 Jul

    If you are still having sound issues, install pulse audio.

    Could you manually add the VST?

  • Istimsak Abdulbasir
    RE: Tried Ubuntu, seemed limited
    [quote="sysWOW94"]Hi all, new guy here. Well, a bit ago I tried Ubuntu 14.04 LTS on my computer. It was nice - didn't seem as fast as Windows 8.1 - but I liked it. My problem with it was that it seemed kind of underdone - I'm going to lay out a couple problems here, one minor annoyance, and one major issue, and my question is going to be whether this is just Ubuntu's fault, and some other distro would work better, or is this all of Linux. First, the minor irritant: The sound system setting wouldn't save. I had my headphones selected as audio output, and that setting kept getting lost, so that the audio would route to some sort of default device and I wouldn't hear it. It bothered me that the system couldn't seem to save such a simple setting. But here's what really made me drop Ubuntu: A piece of software that's very important to me failed on it, whereas it works fine under windows. That software is Linux MultiMedia Studio (LMMS). I make electronic music on my computer, and I had two VSTs (plugins for the program - they're software instruments) fail under Linux whereas they work great under Windows. VSTs are coded as .DLL files for everyone's information. One of them simply froze the program and never unfroze, and the other lagged the sound down to the point where it sounded awful. They both work without a hitch under Windows (in fairness, the one that froze the program does that once in a *LONG* while under Windows). I use that program for my music creation all the time, and I didn't want to have to switch back to Windows constantly for it, so I got rid of Ubuntu. My question is, again, would a different distro be different, or is this just an unavoidable Linux problem? The impression I got was that Linux (at least Ubuntu) is great as long as you don't want to step outside the boundaries of the stuff the developers thought of for you to do. If you do want to do that, then suddenly, everything goes to hell. Thanks, -syswow94[/quote] First thanks for joining the forum. Linux is a system that does let people stand outside the box. In Linux you are limited to what works for linux. Programs that are ran under Windows should continue to the use that system. There are other open source programs like "wine" that try to run windows applications. Not reliable. You are using the tar zip file of LMMS version 1.0.2 for linux right? I don't like to compile packages on Ubuntu. Though it can be done, it is not very easy. You are better off using the supplied software in the repositories. Ubuntu was made as a linux desktop for windows-like users. Very easy to use where little technical skills are needed. What flavor of Ubuntu 14.04 LTS are you using? Plus, do you know the name of the software that is used to control the sound? Make sure all your computer hardware is compatible with Ubuntu or Linux in general.
    Link to this post 07 Jul

    sysWOW94 said:

    Hi all, new guy here. Well, a bit ago I tried Ubuntu 14.04 LTS on my computer. It was nice - didn't seem as fast as Windows 8.1 - but I liked it. My problem with it was that it seemed kind of underdone - I'm going to lay out a couple problems here, one minor annoyance, and one major issue, and my question is going to be whether this is just Ubuntu's fault, and some other distro would work better, or is this all of Linux.

    First, the minor irritant: The sound system setting wouldn't save. I had my headphones selected as audio output, and that setting kept getting lost, so that the audio would route to some sort of default device and I wouldn't hear it. It bothered me that the system couldn't seem to save such a simple setting.

    But here's what really made me drop Ubuntu: A piece of software that's very important to me failed on it, whereas it works fine under windows. That software is Linux MultiMedia Studio (LMMS). I make electronic music on my computer, and I had two VSTs (plugins for the program - they're software instruments) fail under Linux whereas they work great under Windows. VSTs are coded as .DLL files for everyone's information.

    One of them simply froze the program and never unfroze, and the other lagged the sound down to the point where it sounded awful. They both work without a hitch under Windows (in fairness, the one that froze the program does that once in a *LONG* while under Windows).

    I use that program for my music creation all the time, and I didn't want to have to switch back to Windows constantly for it, so I got rid of Ubuntu. My question is, again, would a different distro be different, or is this just an unavoidable Linux problem?

    The impression I got was that Linux (at least Ubuntu) is great as long as you don't want to step outside the boundaries of the stuff the developers thought of for you to do. If you do want to do that, then suddenly, everything goes to hell.

    Thanks,
    -syswow94

    First thanks for joining the forum. Linux is a system that does let people stand outside the box. In Linux you are limited to what works for linux. Programs that are ran under Windows should continue to the use that system. There are other open source programs like "wine" that try to run windows applications. Not reliable.

    You are using the tar zip file of LMMS version 1.0.2 for linux right? I don't like to compile packages on Ubuntu. Though it can be done, it is not very easy. You are better off using the supplied software in the repositories. Ubuntu was made as a linux desktop for windows-like users. Very easy to use where little technical skills are needed.

    What flavor of Ubuntu 14.04 LTS are you using? Plus, do you know the name of the software that is used to control the sound? Make sure all your computer hardware is compatible with Ubuntu or Linux in general.

  • Istimsak Abdulbasir
    RE: create ISO image with Virtualbox
    [quote="begueradj"]Hello is there a way to create an ISO image of my virtual machine directly from Virtualbox on which it is installed ? Regards Begueradj[/quote] I have not seen any tools that will allow for the creation of ISOs of VMs from virtualbox. You can however move a vdi image onto a thumb drive and move it to another system running virtualbox. You can create disk images of the VMs using bit copying tools like "dd" or a GUI based disk imager. ISOs are normally CD images the boots a system for installation or administrative uses. Did not see an option to do this in virtualbox for linux.
    Link to this post 07 Jul

    begueradj said:

    Hello

    is there a way to create an ISO image of my virtual machine directly from Virtualbox on which it is installed ?

    Regards
    Begueradj

    I have not seen any tools that will allow for the creation of ISOs of VMs from virtualbox. You can however move a vdi image onto a thumb drive and move it to another system running virtualbox. You can create disk images of the VMs using bit copying tools like "dd" or a GUI based disk imager. ISOs are normally CD images the boots a system for installation or administrative uses. Did not see an option to do this in virtualbox for linux.

  • Istimsak Abdulbasir
    RE: How i can Create a virtual machine without virtualbox
    [quote="rcrosa27"]Its possivle create a virtual machine without virtualbox? if someone can help me, it will be great! :D Best regards[/quote] Yes you can create a virtual machines without virtualbox. Virtualbox is just programs used to create virtual machines. There are others like qemu, kvm, Vmware and Citrix. First be very specific. How do you want to create virtual machines? How will you be accessing and managing them? Will they be stored and access remotely? Will they be created on your personal computer? What OS are you using? What systems will be running them? These are just a sample of the questions that must be answered first. Answer these questions and you will get back more information.
    Link to this post 07 Jul

    rcrosa27 said:

    Its possivle create a virtual machine without virtualbox?

    if someone can help me, it will be great! :D




    Best regards


    Yes you can create a virtual machines without virtualbox. Virtualbox is just programs used to create virtual machines. There are others like qemu, kvm, Vmware and Citrix.

    First be very specific.

    How do you want to create virtual machines?
    How will you be accessing and managing them?
    Will they be stored and access remotely?
    Will they be created on your personal computer?
    What OS are you using?
    What systems will be running them?

    These are just a sample of the questions that must be answered first. Answer these questions and you will get back more information.

Who we are ?

The Linux Foundation is a non-profit consortium dedicated to the growth of Linux.

More About the foundation...

Frequent Questions

Join / Linux Training / Board