• Last Logged In: 2 days ago

Latest Posts

Posted by
Topic
Post Preview
Posted
  • Istimsak Abdulbasir
    RE: Just registered for LFCS certification
    You guys can use the study materials from the LPI institute. [url=http://www.lpi.org/exam-preparation/self-study]LPI self-study materials[/url]
    Link to this post 03 Sep

You guys can use the study materials from the LPI institute.

LPI self-study materials

• Istimsak Abdulbasir
    RE: Hello Everyone!
    Good job on selecting a career in computer science. That area will never get enough talent such as yours. If you are going to educate yourself in Linux, it is best to study for the Linux certification exams that will test your skills and certify you are a legitimate Linux professional. It is a prerequisite to already know how computers work. Since you seem to have an interest in that field, that part it covered. You want to look into A+ textbooks for computer knowledge. There are multiple programming languages for application development. You need to pick one that you will specialize in and one that will perform according to what you are trying to develop. www.linux.com has courses that will prepare you for the Linux certification exams. Go to your local book store and find books on computer A+ and books on your chosen programming language. A site that will give you materials to help you study for the Linux Exams http://www.lpi.org/ Look at this site for information on institutes that offer linux CE exams. I recommend that you pick up some Beginner's guide to Linux Administration. Start your training now so your mind is programmed to think "Linux".
    Link to this post 03 Sep

Good job on selecting a career in computer science. That area will never get enough talent such as yours.

If you are going to educate yourself in Linux, it is best to study for the Linux certification exams that will test your skills and certify you are a legitimate Linux professional.

It is a prerequisite to already know how computers work. Since you seem to have an interest in that field, that part it covered. You want to look into A+ textbooks for computer knowledge.

There are multiple programming languages for application development. You need to pick one that you will specialize in and one that will perform according to what you are trying to develop.

www.linux.com has courses that will prepare you for the Linux certification exams. Go to your local book store and find books on computer A+ and books on your chosen programming language.

A site that will give you materials to help you study for the Linux Exams
    http://www.lpi.org/

Look at this site for information on institutes that offer linux CE exams.

I recommend that you pick up some Beginner's guide to Linux Administration. Start your training now so your mind is programmed to think "Linux".

• Istimsak Abdulbasir
    RE: Interested in Linux, Need Recommendations
    [quote="TiberAelius"]Hello, I'm interested in learning to use Linux as a primary OS. I have no experience in using Linux-base OSes, would someone here recommend one of the Linuxes to use as a base? I'm planning on initially dual-booting with Linux and Windows 7 then eventually try to use a virtual machine to use both Linux and Windows simultaneously. And I'd like to know if it is possible to keep all the data, and not lose it, on my computer while doing this process. I welcome any recommendations and helpful advice.[/quote] You are new to Linux. I would recommend using a Linux operating system that is geared towards beginners to the system. Anything Ubuntu based would be a good start. Its goal is to create an easy to understand and use Linux OS. Mint is based on Ubuntu which is a more complete desktop system. If you are going to start from the beginning with Linux, choose the Latest Mint or Ubuntu version. I prefer to use Mint or Ubuntu that is using the XFCE desktop environment. [url=http://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=2656]Mint 17 with XFCE[/url] You can check out the official mint website for more detailed information on the operating system. [url=http://www.linuxmint.com/]Lint Mint[/url]
    Link to this post 03 Sep

TiberAelius said:

Hello, I'm interested in learning to use Linux as a primary OS.
    I have no experience in using Linux-base OSes, would someone here recommend one of the Linuxes to use as a base?
    I'm planning on initially dual-booting with Linux and Windows 7 then eventually try to use a virtual machine to use both Linux and Windows simultaneously. And I'd like to know if it is possible to keep all the data, and not lose it, on my computer while doing this process.
    I welcome any recommendations and helpful advice.

You are new to Linux. I would recommend using a Linux operating system that is geared towards beginners to the system. Anything Ubuntu based would be a good start. Its goal is to create an easy to understand and use Linux OS. Mint is based on Ubuntu which is a more complete desktop system. If you are going to start from the beginning with Linux, choose the Latest Mint or Ubuntu version. I prefer to use Mint or Ubuntu that is using the XFCE desktop environment.

Mint 17 with XFCE

You can check out the official mint website for more detailed information on the operating system.

Lint Mint

• Istimsak Abdulbasir
    RE: Automating Rsync with BASH
    If I understand right, you want to setup rsync to automatically backup your system by writing some kind of bash script? It does seem possible. Will require a lot of research and skills in scripting using bash. Look at this link to get an idea of rsync automation. http://rimuhosting.com/howto/rsyncbackup.jsp And, this one. http://www.patcup.com/automating-backups-using-rsync-bash-and-cron/
    Link to this post 20 Aug

If I understand right, you want to setup rsync to automatically backup your system by writing some kind of bash script? It does seem possible. Will require a lot of research and skills in scripting using bash.

Look at this link to get an idea of rsync automation.

http://rimuhosting.com/howto/rsyncbackup.jsp

And, this one.

http://www.patcup.com/automating-backups-using-rsync-bash-and-cron/

• Istimsak Abdulbasir
    RE: Server Requirments
    My guess to research hardware companies that sell blade servers and compare prices. The minimal system requirement for any linux server, (one not using the X server) is a 533MHZ processor, 125MB of ram, and a 5GB hard drive. This can be built on your own. Decide also what services you plan on deploying on the network. Understand there resource requirement and performance and base your pricing on that.
    Link to this post 20 Aug

My guess to research hardware companies that sell blade servers and compare prices. The minimal system requirement for any linux server, (one not using the X server) is a 533MHZ processor, 125MB of ram, and a 5GB hard drive. This can be built on your own.

Decide also what services you plan on deploying on the network. Understand there resource requirement and performance and base your pricing on that.

• Istimsak Abdulbasir
    RE: I have questions about Linux before I install it as my OS
    willytheworm highlighted some pros and cons about linux and windows. Keep in mind. No OS, is immune to cracks. It is simply a matter of will-power. The reason you don't hear linux being readily cracked is because it is not generally used on the desktop and its security management system is more solid than windows. Honestly, I prefer to use Linux when browsing the Internet. Did you have a password set on your Windows box? Seemed very easy for the violators to gain access to your system. Do a little research and investigate all the programs you have on your system. If you want to solidify security, learn system and network security. Be very proactive when securing your system.
    Link to this post 21 Jul

willytheworm highlighted some pros and cons about linux and windows. Keep in mind. No OS, is immune to cracks. It is simply a matter of will-power. The reason you don't hear linux being readily cracked is because it is not generally used on the desktop and its security management system is more solid than windows.

Honestly, I prefer to use Linux when browsing the Internet. Did you have a password set on your Windows box? Seemed very easy for the violators to gain access to your system. Do a little research and investigate all the programs you have on your system. If you want to solidify security, learn system and network security. Be very proactive when securing your system.

• Istimsak Abdulbasir
    RE: Linux for a webdesigner
    [quote="arochester"]http://alternativeto.net/software/adobe-illustrator/?platform=linux http://alternativeto.net/software/adobe-photoshop/?platform=linux There are many Gimp tutorials e.g. http://www.gimp.org/tutorials/ http://www.gimpology.com/ http://www.gimptalk.com/index.php?/topic/34102-beginning-with-gimp-starting-tutorial-for-new-users/ http://www.gimpology.com/ You can Google more.[/quote] Thanks for posting these links. I am not a graphics designer or web developer. I can draw, or sketch designs. What I found here is pretty impressive.
    Link to this post 21 Jul

Thanks for posting these links. I am not a graphics designer or web developer. I can draw, or sketch designs. What I found here is pretty impressive.

• Istimsak Abdulbasir
    RE: Noob deciding about Linux
    [quote="zanthal"]I've been using Windows for every PC I've ever owned for over 20 years. So my questions are going to be from the "what the huh?" perspective on Linux and Ubuntu -- First, I need confirmation about the rumors I've collected: I've heard that Ubuntu is very stable and has good support. I know it is free, that much I'm certain of. I've heard that using WINE, you can run any Windows-based software. -- Now I used MS-DOS before Windows, so I'm familiar with the MS-DOS command line. And I've used a tiny bit of Unix, just enough to know that it uses a whole other set of commands to do similar things as MS-DOS. Now, the general summary of the hundreds of questions I could come up with is this: How steep is the learning curve if someone who is very familiar with Windows, tried to switch entirely over to Linux, probably using what appears to me to be the best supported and stable Linux OS, Ubuntu? How secure is it compared to say, Windows 7? Are there any obvious advantages or disadvantages to using Linux over Windows (that are less than obvious to me)? What can someone accomplish with Linux/Ubuntu that is any better than one could accomplish with Windows? Are there any hardware compatibility issues with Linux/Ubuntu? How effective is WINE at running Windows software? This question is going to effect my decision a lot. Feel free to add anything, link for me any web resources that would good to have ... and thank you for taking a moment to help me understand. [/quote] I just want to add a few things. Ubuntu for the most part is stable and has good support. It is backed by committed developers and a large community. It works as intended. The LTSes are the most stable. However, that does not mean, it does not experience errors every now and then. It is not error proof. For the time I have been using it, there has been times where I had to research heavily to fix an error. Make sure you are specific in what you mean by "stable". It is stable in terms of system functions? Yes, it rarely breaks. Is it stable on hardware? Yes, if you use what is supported. Is it stable with all open source programs? No. Some open sources programs can make the system very unstable or just don't work well. Wine is not a go-to for Windows programs. Even with the programs tested to work with it, it still falls short of "good enough". You are better off using open source equivalents to MS programs. Sometimes you can get lucky but it is not reliable. Ubuntu or any Linux OS is "NOT" a replacement for windows. It is an open OS. Meaning, it is designed to let the "user" decide what "they" want. You use linux because of a special need not to replace something else. Every OS has a specific function. You must find the function that suites you. Ubuntu is good for a Linux-based desktop if you want to use Linux as a desktop OS. Make sure you know what you are trying to accomplish.
    Link to this post 21 Jul

zanthal said:

I've been using Windows for every PC I've ever owned for over 20 years.

So my questions are going to be from the "what the huh?" perspective on Linux and Ubuntu

--
    First, I need confirmation about the rumors I've collected:

I've heard that Ubuntu is very stable and has good support. I know it is free, that much I'm certain of.

I've heard that using WINE, you can run any Windows-based software.
    --

Now I used MS-DOS before Windows, so I'm familiar with the MS-DOS command line. And I've used a tiny bit of Unix, just enough to know that it uses a whole other set of commands to do similar things as MS-DOS.

Now, the general summary of the hundreds of questions I could come up with is this:

How steep is the learning curve if someone who is very familiar with Windows, tried to switch entirely over to Linux, probably using what appears to me to be the best supported and stable Linux OS, Ubuntu?

How secure is it compared to say, Windows 7?

Are there any obvious advantages or disadvantages to using Linux over Windows (that are less than obvious to me)?

What can someone accomplish with Linux/Ubuntu that is any better than one could accomplish with Windows?

Are there any hardware compatibility issues with Linux/Ubuntu?

How effective is WINE at running Windows software? This question is going to effect my decision a lot.

Feel free to add anything, link for me any web resources that would good to have ... and thank you for taking a moment to help me understand.

I just want to add a few things.

Ubuntu for the most part is stable and has good support. It is backed by committed developers and a large community. It works as intended. The LTSes are the most stable. However, that does not mean, it does not experience errors every now and then. It is not error proof. For the time I have been using it, there has been times where I had to research heavily to fix an error. Make sure you are specific in what you mean by "stable". It is stable in terms of system functions? Yes, it rarely breaks. Is it stable on hardware? Yes, if you use what is supported. Is it stable with all open source programs? No. Some open sources programs can make the system very unstable or just don't work well.

Wine is not a go-to for Windows programs. Even with the programs tested to work with it, it still falls short of "good enough". You are better off using open source equivalents to MS programs. Sometimes you can get lucky but it is not reliable.

Ubuntu or any Linux OS is "NOT" a replacement for windows. It is an open OS. Meaning, it is designed to let the "user" decide what "they" want. You use linux because of a special need not to replace something else. Every OS has a specific function. You must find the function that suites you.

Ubuntu is good for a Linux-based desktop if you want to use Linux as a desktop OS. Make sure you know what you are trying to accomplish.

• Istimsak Abdulbasir
    RE: How can check/test serial port working in my target board and How can configure node in kernel for s
    [quote="JayminD"] I want to know that how and where can I find serial driver file (i.e. for /ttyS*) in my kernel image in Linux.... ??? and How can I check/test the serial driver on my ARM dev. board ?? (mean how can I test that driver and serial port is working properly ?? ) can you just suggest me or tell me that how can I check my serial port on my ARM target board that is working correctly and how can I configure serial post ??? I mean that , as we configure fb0 for LVDS LCD and configure it and send any image on it that's same how can I check my serial port and check it that whether its working correctly or not ?? How can I activate it's node in my board ?? Please reply me ASAP I need help urgent, b'coz it's very imp for me so.. Thanks a lot. Best Regards Jaymin D [/quote] Interesting question you asked. I don't know how to activate a serial port other then enabling the driver if one is included in the kernel or manually install the driver. The best way to test if a device is working is to confirm the kernel detects it. The most widely used method is lspci. In a terminal: #sudo lspci This lists all the devices on your system, with name, location, extensions and drivers. Read this article to get a better understanding of kernel modules. https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/kernel_modules Bestly, just connect something to the serial port and see if it gets read.
    Link to this post 12 Jul

JayminD said:

I want to know that how and where can I find serial driver file (i.e. for /ttyS*) in my kernel image in Linux.... ???

and

How can I check/test the serial driver on my ARM dev. board ?? (mean how can I test that driver and serial port is working properly ?? )

can you just suggest me or tell me that how can I check my serial port on my ARM target board that is working correctly and how can I configure serial post ???

I mean that , as we configure fb0 for LVDS LCD and configure it and send any image on it that's same how can I check my serial port and check it that whether its working correctly or not ??

How can I activate it's node in my board ??

Please reply me ASAP I need help urgent, b'coz it's very imp for me so..

Thanks a lot.

Best Regards

Jaymin D

Interesting question you asked. I don't know how to activate a serial port other then enabling the driver if one is included in the kernel or manually install the driver. The best way to test if a device is working is to confirm the kernel detects it. The most widely used method is lspci.

In a terminal:
    #sudo lspci

This lists all the devices on your system, with name, location, extensions and drivers.

Read this article to get a better understanding of kernel modules.

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/kernel_modules

Bestly, just connect something to the serial port and see if it gets read.

• Istimsak Abdulbasir
    RE: Lexmark Pro901
    On this site, it directed me to to the link on my last post. When looking at the list of supported OSes, it said to visit the site www.lexmark.com for drivers that work on a linux system. http://www.lexmark.com/US/en/catalog/product.jsp?prodId=6054
    Link to this post 10 Jul

On this site, it directed me to to the link on my last post. When looking at the list of supported OSes, it said to visit the site www.lexmark.com for drivers that work on a linux system.

http://www.lexmark.com/US/en/catalog/product.jsp?prodId=6054

Who we are ?

The Linux Foundation is a non-profit consortium dedicated to the growth of Linux.

More About the foundation...

Frequent Questions

Join / Linux Training / Board